• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Advice for new computer...

Your questions have already been answered so my reply is almost like beating a dead horse.....

For FSX GHz is King. 3.0 GHz seems to be the sweet spot. Faster is better. Slower...... Don't go slower than 3 GHz.

Since you aren't going to overclock and quad cores cost more than dual cores, get the fastest dual core you can afford. The E8600 should do the trick.

going with a quad-core (I would).. get the Vista 64-bit. It will recognize the 4GB of RAM, and if I'm not mistaken; when used with FSX SP2.. it will utilize all 4 cores without tweaking.

Vista 32 bit recognizes 4 gigs of RAM, it's in one of the Vista updates. At least it recognizes mine.

As much as I would love a quad core, with other 'real' priorities such as a leaky roof, feeding the kids and so on, it will be a duo. Its difficult knowing where to stop, so my plan is to have...

Intel E8600 Duo (2 x 3.3Ghz) - pack available
vista (eiher 32bit or 64 bit)
2 x 150gb hard drives of good quality
8800gt 512 mb card (already got)
Uprated cooler - Arctic 7 pro thingimijic I read about !
4Gb RAM 1066Mhz (may get more if I get 64bit Vista)

As much as I would love a quad core, with other 'real' priorities such as a leaky roof, feeding the kids and so on, it will be a duo.

I understand completely. I have one kid in college and one in high school. Instead of buying/maintaining one vehicle or one computer, it's three vehicles and more computers than I care to think about. I would have a QX9770 or Q9650 if I could afford to upgrade but I just can't justify upgrading from what I have now. Maybe once Nehalem is established and the prices stabilize I'll think of upgrading again.

Its difficult knowing where to stop, so my plan is to have...

Intel E8600 Duo (2 x 3.3Ghz) - pack available
vista (eiher 32bit or 64 bit)
2 x 150gb hard drives of good quality
8800gt 512 mb card (already got)
Uprated cooler - Arctic 7 pro thingimijic I read about !
4Gb RAM 1066Mhz (may get more if I get 64bit Vista)

Looks like a sound plan to me. Don't scrimp on your CPU now to do it, but upgrade that video card as soon as you can afford to.

I've never tried the Arctic 7 Pro but Ted likes it and I trust his judgement.

If you aren't overclocking I see no need in buying DDR2 1066 RAM. DDR2 800 will do just fine. Take a look at these: DDR2 800 CL4 @ 1.8 volts!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

I have this DDR2 1000 running 24/7 and I'm happy with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

4GB is enough. I have 8GB in one computer but that's overkill. I don't think that I've ever come close to using all of it.

Vista Ultimate comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit.

What motherboard do you plan on using?

Also Guzler...remember that you'll need a good quality PSU. Don't use the included 450watt item as it'll be crap,no doubt. You are considering 150GB Raptor drives??....i'd go with the Samsung F1 one terrabyte hard drives (around 90 euros on hardwareversand.de at the minute). QX9770 or QX9650 along with 8GB of RAM are waaaay overkill, David:isadizzy::costumes:

All this learning :isadizzy:

So 800Mhz ram will be just as effective as 1066Mhz ? Does this mean that it won't utilize the full capability unless o/c ?

What will a PSU upgrade do that the standard one wont ? I upgraded the one on my standard computer (was originally 250watt running amd 3400, 8800gt, 2Mb ram, sound card...) but couldn't tell any different.

Cheers

The Artic Pro Cooler is fantastic...I have it on my E8600@3.33 and the temps at idol are 37-38 and under load @ 45-47

One thing on PSU's ...Thermaltake are nice...JUST MAKE SURE you get the right one...If your MoBo is a 24 pin thats what you need...If its a 20 plus 4 thats what you need......They will not work with the wrong pin config...

Also Guzler...remember that you'll need a good quality PSU. Don't use the included 450watt item as it'll be crap,no doubt. You are considering 150GB Raptor drives??....i'd go with the Samsung F1 one terrabyte hard drives (around 90 euros on hardwareversand.de at the minute). QX9770 or QX9650 along with 8GB of RAM are waaaay overkill, David:isadizzy::costumes:

Yeah, I know..... It's kinda like having too much money though. Ain't possible! :costumes:

All this learning :isadizzy:

So 800Mhz ram will be just as effective as 1066Mhz ? Does this mean that it won't utilize the full capability unless o/c ?

What will a PSU upgrade do that the standard one wont ? I upgraded the one on my standard computer (was originally 250watt running amd 3400, 8800gt, 2Mb ram, sound card...) but couldn't tell any different.

Cheers

If you don't increase your FSB (overclock) your RAM isn't going to be running at 1066 anyway. Take a look at these and see if they help you understand how it all ties together.

http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/index.html
http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/calculator.html
http://www.peakin.com/x38/calculator.html

Worst case: A cheap PSU can die and take out other components with it.
I always use PC Power & Cooling power supplies (there are other good ones out there). I can think of 6 computers that I built using PC P&C PSUs that run 24/7/365 and have been for quite a while. Three are old enough that they have P4s (one Northwood, two Prescotts) and the other three have quad cores.

Thanks Guys,
I'm going thru the same quandry regarding my next (possibly last?) upgrade. At least with some good picking of a mobo the Dou-to-Quad path will be there as long as socket 775 stays around so I'd pretty much decided ( or the budget-master has) to go the E8600 route and see what changes when the higher Quads slide in price.

Back in the day I used to play with things like overclocking but I'm losing interest in the tech side of the game so I want something pretty much out of the box that will make FS9 really fly and FSX 'happy" ... the above has been a lot of help.

One question re: video cards ... hefty single card vs single card/dual GPU vs SLI/Crossfire -- comments?

Rob

One question re: video cards ... hefty single card vs single card/dual GPU vs SLI/Crossfire -- comments?

Rob

Depends on what resolution you'll be playing at and if you be running other games too. I've gone with quad-sli in order to game at full resolution on my 30" Dell monitor. For FSX/FS9 i'd recommend a single card...preferably an ATi HD4850,4870 or 4870X2. If you REALLY want to go with Nvidia then take a look at the GTX260 or GTX280. These cards will provide excellent processing power up to 1920x1200 resolution.

Thanks Guys,
I'm going thru the same quandry regarding my next (possibly last?) upgrade. At least with some good picking of a mobo the Dou-to-Quad path will be there as long as socket 775 stays around so I'd pretty much decided ( or the budget-master has) to go the E8600 route and see what changes when the higher Quads slide in price.

Back in the day I used to play with things like overclocking but I'm losing interest in the tech side of the game so I want something pretty much out of the box that will make FS9 really fly and FSX 'happy" ... the above has been a lot of help.

Rob

Make sure that you pick a mobo that can run a Q9xxx series CPU. Looks like those will be the last of the socket 775 line. Although SLI / Crossfire is a waste of money for CFS*/FS*, it doesn't hurt to buy a mobo that supports SLI or Crossfire. Ya never know what's coming in the future....... I'd buy a mobo that supports DDR3. You may be able to re-use the RAM the next time you upgrade.

If I were buying a video card right now and could afford it, I'd buy a 4870 X2. I'd go with the 280 GTX as my second choice. Third choice would be a 4870. I know it doesn't appear that way looking at those choices but I really am an nvidia fan. I've always liked and had good luck with nvidia video cards.

Thanks Guys,

Rob

I say a hefty single ...With a SLI or CrossfireX mobo for later as I hear the next FS11 will use it........

I have and love the 4870X2...My first ATI ever....And I'm not going back again....LOL Brilliant colors and textures...

Depends on what resolution you'll be playing at and if you be running other games too. I've gone with quad-sli in order to game at full resolution on my 30" Dell monitor. For FSX/FS9 i'd recommend a single card...preferably an ATi HD4850,4870 or 4870X2. If you REALLY want to go with Nvidia then take a look at the GTX260 or GTX280. These cards will provide excellent processing power up to 1920x1200 resolution.

I have two Geforce 8800 GTX's, and if I disable SLI I get much better FPS in FSX. SLI doesn't help in DX applications like it does in openGL.

FSX doesn't support SLI does it ?

PS...this would make a great sticky, I have learned heaps thanks to the great advice given in this thread.

Not now FSX does not support SLI...But I hear FS11 will.......:applause:

Wow, they are cheap. Cheers for that. Nearest to what I want was the E8500 and for £400 delivered, wow.

The E8500 is not to be sniffed at............i've managed a stable 4.2GHZ with mine (with a maximum 4.4GHZ acheived and capable of running FSX....though not Prime stable).

Back