• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Joystick Throttle Problem

TARPSBird

SOH-CM-2024
Yesterday the throttle slider on my joystick suddenly went stupid on me. I have a Thrustmaster T-Stick X that's never given me any problems. Now I have no control at all for advance/decrease throttle. Doesn't work in FS9 either. Tried calibrating in both sims, no luck... Throttle calibrating bar doesn't move. Throttle commands work OK using keyboard keys F1-F4 but that method is clumsier than the slider. Any troubleshooting suggestions? I think I may need a new joystick. :(

I did a quick Google search for that stick as I was not familiar with it and can only conclude that you have one of two problems but either one would necessitate taking the base off the stick at the very least and possibly some more dismantling as required. If you are happy and confident about taking things apart and putting them back together I would suggest the following:

1) The contacts on the slide feature could be dirty/oxidized through use/age and need cleaning, There are several options for doing this including cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol @ 99% pure) on a cotton bud, using an electronics safe switch cleaner (be careful as the wrong type could melt plastic parts!) or, if you can get to the slide contacts easily, rubbing them with a pencil eraser to wipe off the oxidation/dirt.

2) A wire may have broken from or lost contact with the slide parts. This could require either re-establishing the contact (i.e. disconnecting/re-connecting a push on connector to clean the contacts) or soldering a broken wire back into place.

It sounds like you have an age/wear related problem to me but without seeing the parts it is difficult to diagnose the issue from afar. It could be an easy fix or it could be terminal but without opening it up you will never know.

I had a similar problem with my X56 HOTAS stick a couple of weeks ago. I lost all button functions on the stick but the axes worked fine. After opening up the base and finding nothing wrong I eventually took the handle off the base (it is removable to allow changing tension springs) and noticed 10-12 spring loaded contact pins in each half (base and handle). I cleaned all the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud and re-assembled and it has worked fine ever since.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. (y)

Tako Kichi thanks for the comment and I agree there's a hardware issue inside the joystick. If I can get the base off I'll take a look.

I've been thinking about this issue and my original thought may have been wrong. Having just a few photos to work from led me to believe the throttle slide was acting on an arc shaped track but I now believe it is an extended arm mounted to a regular rotary potentiometer. That would be much easier to make/buy and mount. If that is the case then the track inside the potentiometer case could be dirty/oxidized and the easiest way to clean that is with a cleaning spray. This is a common issue on guitar pots for volume and tone control (or old fashioned stereo controls) which makes them crackle and pop when turned. A quick spray through any opening in the case will usually fix the problem.

Google could probably find a source in your area if you don't have any but here are a few suggestions Google found on this side of the border: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=potentiometer+cleaning+spray

Well, I have a new stick on order but just out of curiosity I opened up the joystick this evening and there are two loose stranded wires near the mini potentiometer that controls the throttle. The wires are very small, like 26/28 gauge, and I can't tell whether they came loose from each other or the contacts on the pot. Very poor connections considering the wires have to flex through the movement of the pot.

Back