• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

C2D to Quad - worth it?

spotlope

Charter Member 2014
Here's the situation, gents:

I've got a decent system right now (specs below), but the one problem I consistently have in FSX is very long load times for textures and terrain mesh. I'll slew to a new location and wait as much as 3-4 minutes before the textures full catch up with me, which seems excessive.

I've read that one advantage offered by quad-core CPUs is faster texture loading. In the experience of the gurus here, is that the case? If so, I'd be more than happy to shell out the bucks for a quad and retire my C2D E6750. Right now, I'm running overclocked at 3.2GHz just fine, but it'd be nice to have a CPU that would let me bump that to closer to 4.0 as well.

Thoughts? I see that the Q9550 is a pretty good deal on NewEgg. If you'd recommend a jump to quad, would that be the one to go with, or are there other models that are better? (Remembering of course, that I haven't learned how to turn lead into gold just yet.)

Here are my current specs:

CPU: C2D E6750 @ 3.2 Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
RAM: 6GB DDR2 @ 800
VIDEO: 285GTX 1GB
DRIVES: 2x 250GB WD HD/ 1x 500GB WD HD - all 7200RPM SATAII

Thanks!

Bill

I say yes ..the Q9550 is a great chip..it will OC like a beast too, and is much cheaper than the Q9650 ..

Just get a good cooler for it, the freezer Pro is a good cheap one too.

It will without a doubt vastly improve those texture load times, maybe down to zero..

thats all a quad will do for FSX is texture loading and rendering..so thats your best and next upgrade ..

Thanks, Mason. I've got a nice Zalman 9600 cooler that I use for my E6750. Hopefully, it'll work fine for the quad as well. The other thing I was looking at was experimenting with solid-state drives, but I have a feeling that now is just about six months too early for that tech. I expect to get into them before the year is out, though, once the economy of scale kicks in and the prices come down.

Your Zalman wi;; do just fine if not highly OCed..but you can 3.4 to 3.6 easy with it

I am also waiting for SSDs to drop in price and get more reliable and larger

Back