• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Couple of Kits

Whose the manufacturer of the kits? I have a zillion kits myself but haven't built one in years.
I am pretty sure I have a Monogram Do 335 in one of the closets someplace.

I see you build them in flying condition with gear up also.
I still can't understand why an airplane with all its guts hanging out is so appealing to most other modelers.

- Ivan.

The Do-335 is a Revell kit, and the V35 Bonanza is a Minicraft kit.

I just got back into building kits, having bought a Revell TBF Avenger last week. It is on hold, though, because the wing-folding hinges are not cooperating. I might post some WIP pictures later. So I have finally started a USS Saratoga kit I got from a friend a couple months ago. On the reason why people build "airplanes with all its guts hanging out," some people like the detail of the innards. I like models with retractable landing gear, so I have the option of how to display it, but if I can't do that, I retract the gear so I can hang it.

-Brian

I think we are pretty much in agreement on how to build and display with perhaps one exception.
I believe the Monogram and Revell kits are the same kit because the two companies merged?
I don't believe I see a pilot in your planes and I prefer to put them in mine.

One of the things I am considering right now is how to build a retractable tail wheel for a Monogram A6M5 that I built a few decades ago. The original didn't have a retract and it broke off some time back.

- Ivan.

The Do-335 came with ground crew, but no pilots for the cockpits as it was ment to be displayed on the ground. I think the same is true for the Bonanza. If they had pilots, they would be in the cockpit. As for the tailwheel on the A6M5, I have nothing to say execpt I hope you find a way to do it.

-Brian

When there is extra ground crew, sometimes I cut up the figures and then use them as AIR crew. I remember doing this for the B-26 Marauder I built for my neighbour.

So far, there is no reliable way of stocking up on pilot figures that I know of.

- Ivan.

Not to deliberately resurrect an old thread, but I just ran across it...

While not specifically for aircraft, there are tons of figures available, and many that would work with minor modifications through Walthers

Scale compatibility might be a problem in a few cases, but like most modelling, that's part of the fun... in others there are direct fits - O Scale is 1:48 for example

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search...rds=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

No issues with old threads here.

My problem with working with a generic figure to start is that I don't really know what pilots of various air forces carried or wore. This is yet another research subject that can get as complicated as the basic aircraft model. Also, I suppose one can model an entire aircraft from a wood block but the quality won't be as good as a commercial kit. I expect the same kind of thing but worse with making your own air crew figures. The references are going to be harder to find for a subject that is only of cursory interest to the aircraft modeller.

Just my opinion.
- Ivan.

Back