• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Engine startup smoke effect

gray eagle

SOH-CM-2024
Cross Engine startup smoke effect

Would like to know how the startup engine smoke effect is incorporated to an aircraft. I noticed during startup of multi engine aircraft the engine startup exhaust smoke appears on
engine not yet started; upon inspection of aircraft cfg, I do not see any lights or smoke entries.

I am curious as to how that could be remedied. I suspect this all takes place in the mdl file.

Thanks.

Usually, engine startup smoke and flame is in the [effects] section of the aircraft.cfg. :wavey:

This I know and there is nothing there to fiddle with. I think the sequencing that allows the engine starting up and execute the smoke effect is somehow
crossed up whereby the engine 1 will start (should also make the startup smoke effect) and engine #2 (not started yet) will show the startup effect. Then
when engine #1 is running I'll start engine #2 and the smoke effect that should follow from that engine diverts to the engine that was already running i.e
Engine #1, Hence the term cross fire smoke effect. I hope that paints a picture of what I am trying to explain.

As you can see the engine on the left has started and the engine on the right has not started but shows the startup smoke that should of been for engine on the left.
If you then start up engine on the right, the smoke effect will appear on the engine on the left (engine already running). Something is backwards.

ford.jpg

This I know and there is nothing there to fiddle with. I think the sequencing that allows the engine starting up and execute the smoke effect is somehow
crossed up whereby the engine 1 will start (should also make the startup smoke effect) and engine #2 (not started yet) will show the startup effect. Then
when engine #1 is running I'll start engine #2 and the smoke effect that should follow from that engine diverts to the engine that was already running i.e
Engine #1, Hence the term cross fire smoke effect. I hope that paints a picture of what I am trying to explain.

Yep and your PM had a good screenshot! I'm wondering if that engine startup effect is for FSX and not really correct for the later versions of P3D. :dizzy:

Yep and your PM had a good screenshot! I'm wondering if that engine startup effect is for FSX and not really correct for the later versions of P3D. :dizzy:

I thought of that but Thomas says that it will work for FSX & P3D. I thought this issue was very strange and was seeking more info on cause and effect so that perhaps a closer
examination of file(s) may reveal error(s).

I know the freeware version of the Ford meant for FSX does not have this issue (I tried it); as each engine starts, that particular engine will rotate prop and its exhaust smoke
will display. Works well with P3D V4.5 Gotta be a programmer boo-boo or bug.

Cross Engine startup smoke effect

Just for grins and giggles, I tried this plane in P3D V3.4 - 32 bit -got the same results.

Indeed, both have the same problem, but if you try them out in FSX, they won't have the problem.

Priller

Here's the fix. The engine locations are reversed laterally in the Aircraft.cfg file. See red numbers below.

On the CR-1 Trimotor: Engine.0 should be 9.6 and Engine.2 should be -9.6.

[GeneralEngineData]

// Engine.0 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
// Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
// Engine.2 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Engine.0 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
Engine.2 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Dean Crawford's Northrop RF-61C Reporter has the same problem and can be fixed in the same way.

Here's the fix. The engine locations are reversed laterally in the Aircraft.cfg file. See red numbers below.

On the CR-1 Trimotor: Engine.0 should be 9.6 and Engine.2 should be -9.6.

[GeneralEngineData]

// Engine.0 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
// Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
// Engine.2 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Engine.0 = 3.5, 9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
Engine.1 = 12.2, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
Engine.2 = 3.5, -9.6, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Dean Crawford's Northrop RF-61C Reporter has the same problem and can be fixed in the same way.

Wow!!! That works, Thanks for looking into this and the fix. :encouragement:
What a great catch.

Back