• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

FSX Golden Wings

SgtT

SOH-CM-2024
Hello everyone,

After a long absence from flight sims I decided to come back and give it a try again. Man I have really missed it. I was gifted a PC that has Win10 on it and it has been a little bit of a challenge to get my games up and running again but I think I'm getting there.

I love FS2004 Golden Wings and was wondering if there was something similar for FSX.

My apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks,

Rob

Welcome back Rob. I don't recall what Golden Wings was, but this forum hosts some really incredible freeware for FSX. That era for creation of freeware is largely behind us, but the library contains dozens of payware quality aircraft and sceneries. Some aircraft are easily payware quality. Recently, Orbx has gathered some aircraft that were formerly payware and offered them free. If I was you, I would go back through the archive of discussions and look for threads about freeware aircraft that run on for pages. You will be able to see screen-shots in those discussions. The library is easy to access and use. Good hunting!

Golden Wings was developed by Bill Lyons for FS 2004 which reverted the entire some to Golden Age of Aviation time period. It was a fantastic team effort. It was never updated for FSX

Might Check Out

You can do a Google search for Tom Gibson's CalClassics website which has a lot of really cool aircraft and airports from the bygone age. Also in the payware department Golden Age Simulations has fantastic unusual aircraft you can see at their website. Spad54 is Golden Age Simulations. You can checkout their latest the N3N in a thread above entitled GAS next project.

I have two recommendations for anyone looking for vintage flying in FSX. First, buy the FSX Steam Edition of FSX, it is smoother than the boxed versions, has all the fixes and tweaks necessary to run FSX smoothly, and is far better at managing its 4 GB memory use limit. Second, Tom Gibson's CalClassic site. Plenty of information as well as vintage scenery and aircraft for FS9 and FSX.

Rob,

I've been working on a project I call "Platinum Wings" for a while now. It started as an FSX project, but now back to FS9 as an improvement of GW3 (I hope).

I'll post a "simple" way to retro your FSX later when I get the chance so you can at least try to get a sort of GW-ish install with FSX. It's an involved process, but it does get things set up for making things "retro" so all you have to do is redo the landclass and a few other things if you're up to it.

I went back to FS9 since it seems more stable, it's simpler in many ways when compared to FSX for designing, it has a LOT more information when it comes to SDK work and tips, and - the most improtant for me - FS9 runs WAY better on my 10-year old computer. Besides, it's easier to create the "generic" airfields I came up with to repopulate the FS world when working with FS9 than with FSX. At least for me, anyway. It COULD be possible with FSX, though.

I have some screenshots over at CalClassic's forums of the initial attempts. Just look for Platinum Wings, though I haven't had any updates for a while.

Jorge

Hi SgtT,

Ground textures are a weak point in FSX (At least that is what I think). You will be able to find some alternatives at the usual sites (Flightsim.com, AvSim) Based on my own experience, I consider the freeware option limited and not very satisfying.

Therefore I have invested some money in ORBX products. The Global base pack isn't really cheap, but it will provide an amazing update. I have also purchased Vector, which adjust coastlines, lakes, roads, railways etc. This is nice but not mandatory.

As ORBX product are on sale quite often. I advise you to wait until there is a sale as this can save you up 50%.

Cheers,
Huub

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to what Jorge wrote above, FS9 still offers many more possibilities. As example, while searching with the keyword "Early Aircraft" FlightSim shows

for FSX 581 files
for FS9 1'227 files.

But what makes vintage flying really so special is the whole environment, i.e. the older sceneries. And as said by Jorge, its by far more easier to backdate FS9 default world. Flying Barnstormers over ultra-modern skyscrapers isn't really ecxiting. It doesn't mean that FSX doesn't have its advantages, like flying in arctic areas just as an example.

Generally speaking I particularly regret is the dwindling interested in vintage flying. With the disappearance of the Old Hangar forum, the whole dynamic has sadly gone.

Bernard

My Personal Opinion Only

I didn't get into building buildings and scenery until after 10 years of FSX and personally I wouldn't go back to FS9 which 10 years ago I swore would never do FSX. My Windows 7 system runs it perfectly after I upgraded my RAM to 8GB from 4GB as large as it will get. I know that FSX only uses 4GB BUT it does not max it out that way. The one advantage of FS9 over FSX I found is that it will use a lot of FS2002 gauges in older models that FSX will not even though they will load, you have to replace all the gauges with a program like FS Panel Studio or the like. Falcon 409 has created a lot of beautiful small GA airports and with 581 vintage aircraft in FSX how many do you need? I have created a number of 1940's USN airfields for FSX/P3D authentically including custom buildings you can find here at SOH and also flew my Southern Airways DC3 to a lot of CalClassic airports like vintage Memphis and others on their route Tupelo in Mississippi (Elvis' birthplace) a few years ago when I got qualified on the DC3 at DC3-Airways online. A lot of fun in FSX. Not hard to follow Tom's instructions on conversion from FS9 to FSX. Likewise is true of MAIW airports that can be converted. I know others who have gone back to FS9 but I have created too much now for FSX personally to go back especially learning how to use the Autogen Annotator in FSX SDK.

Reading your posts I'm not shure whether I understand the things right. In the OT it was question of Golden Wings. IMO this describes the Roaring Thirties, Bill Lyons and all others involved in "the Old Hangar" adventure implemented their creations in this particluar era. Everything which depicts a further period might be rather "retro" or "classic" era. So CalClassic is definitely not vintage based.

Bernard

CalClassic

Reading your posts I'm not shure whether I understand the things right. In the OT it was question of Golden Wings. IMO this describes the Roaring Thirties, Bill Lyons and all others involved in "the Old Hangar" adventure implemented their creations in this particluar era. Everything which depicts a further period might be rather "retro" or "classic" era. So CalClassic is definitely not vintage based.

Bernard
You are correct about CalClassic, its 1959-1969 or something like that depending on what part of the world you choose but it IS retro not modern. Too, if you are not flying the DC3 or Ford Trimotor you can fly all the biplanes like GAS or freeware at AVSIM, Flightsim etc. at any default grass strips or even Eagle Field you can download here that came with Dave Eckhardt's Stearman both FS9 and FSX. Here is the link to FSX:

https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=215991

FSX as Retro?

I've been lurking around my hard drive since this came up and I may have some stuff to contribute to this.

I slapped together a sort of "how-to" guide that someone can try and emulate to backdate FSX. Mine is based on FSX-SE, but I believe it should work for all versions. I'm just not sure where exactly to post it since it's a fairly long guide with lots of instructions on things to do. Not to mention the fact it's also the first time I post anything "instructions" wise, so it may need some looking over. I'd feel really stupid if someone's install went sideways inadvertently.

If it's okay to post it here as a forum post I'd be more than happy to do so, otherwise let me know if one of the other forums would be better since it has to do with design.

Just keep in mind I'm strictly FS9 now. I had performance issues with FSX because of my old computer, which is why I went back to FS9 in the first place. I can't believe 2010 was that long ago, but that's how old it is!:dizzy:

I made a PDF that comes out to 9 pages. If it's better to just upload it as a zip for you guys, please let me know. Support from me would be fairly limited, but at least it would get the ball rolling on an FSX retro, right? Not to mention that many things for FSX are originally from FS9, so there may be some cross-over with what I'm doing now. Don't know.

Regards,

Jorge

Yes, Eagle Field is indeed a nice scenery.

52122155574_5727bff402_b.jpg

Bernard

Thank you all for your replies. I very much like the Golden Wings mod for FS2004 and fly that a lot. I was hoping for something similar for FSX with that said, I would like to try out the "how-to" guide that Jorge wrote about and give that a try. I'm also going to check out "Platinum Wings" and Eagle field. In addition I'm going to checkout ORBX and Vector that Huub suggested. I've been downloading a lot of classic planes and thunder100 shared some planes with me.

I am grateful for all of the help and advise. I think this community is great and am glad that I came back.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm hoping that enough members show enough interest in your pdf for you to upload it here. I for one would like to read and review your work. Thank you in advance sir.

So not to hijack, I'll make another thread with the "how-to" in text format. I'll upload the PDF later today after work.

"Platinum Wings" is just a name I came up with for the mods, or the process of making the mods to get the "retro" look in FS9 as well as FSX. It's really not a program or anything. I just didn't want to say "Golden Wings 4.0" since the whole GW thing was something the Lynns did.:wink:

Like everything else, the process is still evolving.

Regards,

Jorge

ORBX is nice

Thank you all for your replies. I very much like the Golden Wings mod for FS2004 and fly that a lot. I was hoping for something similar for FSX with that said, I would like to try out the "how-to" guide that Jorge wrote about and give that a try. I'm also going to check out "Platinum Wings" and Eagle field. In addition I'm going to checkout ORBX and Vector that Huub suggested. I've been downloading a lot of classic planes and thunder100 shared some planes with me.

I am grateful for all of the help and advise. I think this community is great and am glad that I came back.

Thanks,

Rob
ORBX is up to date scenery NOT any retro stuff, just for the record. It contains airports, too. They also offer "free stuff" that is very nice.

BTW, where in the world is Mascoutah, Illinois? I'm from Chicago. LOL!

We live about 30 miles from St. Louis MO on the IL side. I'm about 5min from Scott AFB IL. We are about 4 hours from Chicago.

Rob

Back