• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

off topic mauser 98

Cirrus N210MS

Charter Member
few years ago i picked up my first mauser at a local big 5 for $80 dollars

this old rifle has history it has finger print in the wood stock from the soldier who carried it into battle with the turkish army they rebored the gun from 7x57mm to 8mm to match the germans in ww2 to fit the 8mm ammo they cut a slot on the magazine

this weapon works so good when i got the gun the ejector was busted and it still woked
like it was not broken

last year my friend ed found a mauser 98 on his farm broken in half i took this gun home and a week later i rebulit it for him new stock and thats all it needed

then a few days later we test fired his rifle from table and rope it worked! when i got it the action was jammed lol he was so happy! now all he talks about is how much he likes that rifle

----------below my mauser------------------------

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

That's one of the reasons why i just love the USA! You CAN get a rifle like that, and get it for $80,-!
In my country you have to be member of a gun-club for a year in order to apply for your first gun permit. The gun-dealers (e.g. the legal gun-stores) are quite sparse and the prices are quite high.
Gun control in our country is very strict, but not without a reason. We are with 16 million people in a state roughly the size of Maine. Freedom in/with guns simply would not work in our country, though the prices for gun's and ammo (not the magazine) could be lower, for those who have permits.
One of the absurd gun laws in our country is that we are not allowed to have folding/adjustable stock. A weapon with an adjustable stock (like the Colt M4) has to have the stock fixed.
You cannot have automatic weapons neither (which is fine by me since i'm only interrested in semi-automatic and better more, bolt-action rifles).
Still a few months to go before i can apply for my first permit; and you might guess what that will be.......: .303, Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I.

We used to fire the Lee Enfields when I was a wee air cadet, used to come home with a sore shoulder. That's a lovely gun, however guns are frowned upon here in th UK, it's not politically correct to say you like a gun !!!!

Oh boy another surplus rifle thread. I got a 1943 byf Mauser that was a Russian capture for about 300. The metal including the bore was immaculate but the stock had that nasty varnish that is common to surplus Mosins. Not long ago I stripped the gun and refinished the stock with tung oil. I also picked up a new front sight hood and the cleaning rod. I got a couple pics hanging around I'll try and get them posted.

It was cloudy when I took these but you get the general idea, the wood looks so nice in the sunlight now. Also has anyone installed a front sight hood on one of these? What a challenge!

mau1.jpg

mau2.jpg

Thank you thank you. Don't worry about the tortoise he's just going for a carrot across the deck! What ammo is everyone having good luck with? I find yugo surplus to give the best results and Romanian to just be all over the place.

A personal request.

Gun are perhaps quite normal in the USA and some other countries, but in many countries guns are quite controversial. As this is an international forum I would like ask your understanding for this.

Personally I think guns have absolutely nothing to do with virtual and real aviation therefore I kindly as you, as a fellow member and not as SOH staff to post threads in another more suitable forum.

Thanks,
Huub

Hello Again Huub Vink,
I believe that guns sometimes DO have a relationship to virtual aviation. I build stuff only for Combat Flight Simulator. As such I am doing research on Aerial weaponry to complete some of my projects. The thing I am specifically looking for is the weight of a complete round of ammunition with link for all of the weapons my planes carry. Stock values for CFS1 are all for just the bullet (projectile). The 1% spreadsheet also lists just projectile weights.

I am glad this message is in the "Other Hobbies" section. It is the proper place.

Regarding clones of the Mauser 1898, It seems like most of the guns described here so far other than the Russian captured K98 are examples of the short actions. A long action gun should be able to function with a round the length of the .30-06. I probably am not using the correct technical term. I am not really a collector of Mauser 98s.

- Ivan.

Modern bolt action rifle manufacturers often make long and short action variants to accommodate two general categories of casing length. However, this is a moot point to military rifles of the past, because they often standardize only one one caliber, or slight variations thereof.

Yugoslav Mausers have a slightly shorter action than standard Mausers. However, they both fire the 7.92x57mm round. The casing length of the .30-06 is 61mm. Perhaps the difference is too small to matter.

Back