• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

On slope, on glidepath......a question about ATC

Navy Chief

Years ago, when it was possible to get back seat rides in jets easily, I did so, quite often.

I recall that on approach, the pilot would get constant directions from the ATC, and I would hear them saying, "On course, on glidepath". Or they would give the pilot instructions to turn so many degrees to the left or right, or bring the nose of the aircraft up or down.

Is there a way to configure FS9/FSX to do this with ATC, or if not, is there a addon that will do so?

Thanks.

NC

Years ago, when it was possible to get back seat rides in jets easily, I did so, quite often.

I recall that on approach, the pilot would get constant directions from the ATC, and I would hear them saying, "On course, on glidepath". Or they would give the pilot instructions to turn so many degrees to the left or right, or bring the nose of the aircraft up or down.

Is there a way to configure FS9/FSX to do this with ATC, or if not, is there a addon that will do so?

Thanks.

NC

You're referring to GCA (ground control approach). Modern avionics replaced this years ago. I'm not sure anyone even uses GCA anymore.

I have not heard of an add-on that does this. I know ATC will guide you to the GS intercept if you are on an IFR flight plan but it's up to the pilot to capture the GS using his instruments or the AP.

More info on GCA here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Controlled_Approach

-G-

GCA was the military system, PAR (Precision Approach Radar) was the civilian, although there was a lot of crossover. Developed in WWII it was the primary low-minimums (200 &1/2) bad-weather aid until ILS became common and lasted well into the 1970's at many locations until ILS was installed. After that it was still used where ILS was not an option (terrain, location, cost, etc) and at least as late as 1999 Raytheon was still building air-mobile systems for the US military for use in forward or temporary locations.

I've had the fun of being on both ends - I trained on PAR as a controller and got to fly several approaches (CFB Namao had GCA/PAR and loved when we brought the Cardinal over to play . the controllers needed regular practice runs to stay current).
As a controller it was tiring and stressful and for the pilots it took a lot of faith. :d

There WAS a Virtual PAR system being developed by some members of VatCan, although I don't know how far it's gone or if it is still available, but the website is:

http://bathursted.ccnb.nb.ca/vatcan/fir/vPAR/

"The only simulation software this program was designed for is Microsoft's Flight Simulator. As mentioned above, FS98 should still be supported, and this program was tested successfully with FS2000, FS2002, and FS2004. The Transponder requires FSUIPC to be installed in the "MODULES" folder in the Flight Simulator's main folder. See below for versions supported."

Rob

This has been something that I have searched a long time for...And I have come up with 2 addons...First is called 'Real PAR' as in precision approach radar (essentially a GCA approach); the program is made by the same company that makes Real ATIS (SkyTalkTeam). The only other one I have come across is the GCA function of the Cloud9 Aviano Air Base scenery; The drawback to Aviano is that it only works at Aviano (quite well though). The RealPAR program, on the other hand, is user-configurable. But, t be honest, it is pretty crummy. If the one at Aviano was user configurable, it would be great. Hope that helps!

...And I don't believe that the Aviano scenery is compatible with FSX...the RealPAR program i'm not sure. They have it on Simmarket (don't think SkyTalkTeam has a website)

I'm not sure anyone even uses GCA anymore.
I know a number of armed forces around the world still use some form of GCA. In the UK we have PAR for Precision Approach Radar talk-downs and SRA, Surveillance Approach Radar talk-downs. In the former you get left/right and above/below glide path, in the later it's just left right and they tell you what height you should be passing at various ranges.
I have in real life flown a DME approach where the equipment is co-located with an airfield, although we had the appropriate publication you can probably work out the numbers for a given field. Dial the DME and approach it at the correct heading for the airfield and then at the right point start a 3 degree glidepath and check your height at appropriate intervals e.g.

NM Height AGL
6 1800
5 1500
4 1200
3 900
2 600
1 300

Once in awhile I am asked by a controller if I have time to do either an ASR or a PAR approach. It's usually at an airport that is in Class C or D airspace, never at a Class B airport (Class B is too congested). If we aren't running late, I'll do it.

Navy Chief,

FS (both FSX and FS9) have what they refer to as IFR flights. What this will do is cause ATC to continuously manage your flight. Its really fun coming into town and being led to the ILS appraoches this way. They will walk you through every inch of the flight.

What I do is make a flightplan in FS and click VFR. Then when I am coming into that state or area, I reopen the flightplan, make the same selections, click IFR this time, click save, FS asks me if I want to place the plane at the location. Always (always) ansere "NO" to that one. Next, click on ATC and select Request IFR Clearence. You are now 'in' the system, and they will walk you all the way to the runway.

Be fast though. They will have you dropping down low quick, and have you coming in behind other planes. Great practice for real world large airports.

Bill

I flew many a CGA. The F-4 didn't have ILS. A good controller could bring you down in 0/0 weather. Back in the old ADC days you could scramble under any weather conditions. The GCA was more than one pilots link back to the ground.

My hat is off to any former CGA controller. You guys were life savers.
:medals:

GCA, thats what I did for most of my atc time in the Marines,MCAS Beaufort,SC,MCAF Futema, Okinawa,MCAS Kanehoe Bay,Hawaii, Dong Ha,Kha Son, Marble Mtn RVN.
At Beaufort the scopes were located in the IFR room along with the Approach controllers stuff the rest was operating out of the mobile field units

GCA, thats what I did for most of my atc time in the Marines,MCAS Beaufort,SC,MCAF Futema, Okinawa,MCAS Kanehoe Bay,Hawaii, Dong Ha,Kha Son, Marble Mtn RVN.
At Beaufort the scopes were located in the IFR room along with the Approach controllers stuff the rest was operating out of the mobile field units

Thank you Reddog! I remember them on the side of the runway.

Back