• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

One for Ted: From DDR2 to DDR3?

Bjoern

worst developer ever
Since I'm earning a bit of money now I was thinking of giving my main rig a small boost.
I'm looking into replacing the mainboard and getting DDR3 RAM.

The reasons:
- I'm running my current config fully overclocked. When I say "fully", I mean "fully". I can't squeeze out one more single MHz from the FSB or lower the RAM timings one more notch. It's simply impossible.
- The Q9450 I'm using still has overclocking potential, but only with an increased FSB as the multiplier is set at 8 already (the maximum for the CPU).
- DDR3 RAM modules might come in handy for a future, completely new, system (in two years or so).

My current config:
- Asus P5QL Pro (Intel P43 chipset, DDR2, FSB running at ~407 MHz (maximum possible))
- Intel Q9450 (running at 3.25 Ghz, much more potential 'though)
- 4Gb OCZ DDR2 RAM (stock clock: 400 MHz, overclocked to 486 Mhz; timings 5-5-5-18)
- 520W Coolermaster RealPower PSU
- Xigmatek S1283 CPU cooler
More info: http://www.sysprofile.de/id109664

What I want:
- At least a P45 chipset board (as it's much more capable than the P43). Asrock's P45X3 Deluxe looks nice and apparently overclocks well.
- 4GB of DDR3 1600 RAM (CL8 maybe), maybe even 8 GB should I bump into a good deal
- Maybe a new CPU cooler

The budget:
200€ = 275 US $

Why:
I can't afford a new PC for another two years (I want to start from scratch...SSD, octa core et al.), so I want to tickle out the last breaths from socket 775 based hardware. Getting a new CPU is still too expensive. The Q9550, e.g., just a notch better than my CPU costs as much as $300 here!
And this test kind of illustrates the benefits of DDR3 over DDR2:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3-1600-roundup.html

Plan B:
Wait one more month, spend another $275 and switch to AMD's hexacores or high end quads. The advantage of that solution is that AMD doesn't introduce new sockets every year or so and keeps a certain backwards compatibility in their CPUs and sockets.

Increased my budget, decided to stick to Intel, and am after an Intel X48 board (Gigabyte X48T-dq6) now. Still need Ram 'though.

Recommendations?
(DDR 1600, CL8, < 85$ )

I'll also go for an SSD. I think 120 Gb should be enough for FSX and some add-ons.

It was either XMS3 or a G.Skill set for my budget. Chose the latter along with a SSD from one shop to save on shipping.

So since 9 pm there's an OCZ Vertex 2 120 Gb and 4 Gb of G.Skill DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1.3V on order for me. :d

Back