• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Optimum Drive configuration

gigabyte

Jr. Admin
I am looking for some feedback on the optimum configuration for FSX (and other games with a multiple drive system. I have just installed a second terabyte HDD so I now have 3 drives, 250GB (C: Drive - OS boot, Most application programs, Data- Dcouments, pictures etc, and the page file. D: 1 TB currently CLEAN, noting on it at all. E: 1 TB, Most of my games (FSX included) and my main Media Centre data drive - currently at about 50-60% capacity. I also have 2 DVD Drives and an external 300 GB for backup.

OK Here are my thoughts, Install a dual boot Vista/XP on the C: drive, move the page file and user data files (My Docs, My Pictures, Media Center movies etc.) to the e:. Install my games to the D:, so the question is will this be worth the effort, or am I likely to cause problems with the page file on a seperate drive from the OS (and the data files off the system drive as well)

Any comments are welcome.

I am looking for some feedback on the optimum configuration for FSX (and other games with a multiple drive system. I have just installed a second terabyte HDD so I now have 3 drives, 250GB (C: Drive - OS boot, Most application programs, Data- Dcouments, pictures etc, and the page file. D: 1 TB currently CLEAN, noting on it at all. E: 1 TB, Most of my games (FSX included) and my main Media Centre data drive - currently at about 50-60% capacity. I also have 2 DVD Drives and an external 300 GB for backup.

OK Here are my thoughts, Install a dual boot Vista/XP on the C: drive, move the page file and user data files (My Docs, My Pictures, Media Center movies etc.) to the e:. Install my games to the D:, so the question is will this be worth the effort, or am I likely to cause problems with the page file on a seperate drive from the OS (and the data files off the system drive as well)

Any comments are welcome.

It'll work but I see the possibiltiy of unnecessary grief

That is what I thought, I have seen comfl;icting reports about the best place to keep the page file. It's time to reinstall FSX so I might just leave the page file alone install the games to a nice clean drive and move all the data to the other.

I did have another thought (dangerous when I get those thoughts...) Txnetcop have you ever spanned a volume over a couple of physical drives on a machine running FSX? How might that effect performance?

Ever since the advent of SATA drives, I've been running a pair of identical HDs (Raptors) with a permenant page file on the D: drive.

I keep the operating system and all of it's required files on the C: drive as well as all actual programs. The only thing I use the D: drive for other than the perm page file, is back up and storage of extra files, pics etc.

During the years I've run many a test trying to see if the system with FS9 and now FSX, ran any faster or better with the page file on the C: drive, D: drive, perm , temp etc etc. It really doesn't seem to affect the performance much at all where ever I put it. In fact for kicks I've turned the page file off during a few test runs and it still didn't seem to make any difference in performance. I don't think I'd leave it off for very long though as just a gut instinct tells me that would eventually cause a problem of some sort. :)

I've never had a hint of trouble with the page file on the D: drive that I know of.

The one only real advantage I've seen in having it on the secondary drive is that it keeps XP from making a mess of the C: drive if it's running as a dynamic page file and it keeps that big blob of cr*p out of the middle of my operating system and program files when I defrag the system. The C: drive stays nice and tidy.

I think The important part to making this theory work is mainly in having the C and D drives identical. It wouldn't make much sense to have the page file on the D: drive if that drive is slower in performance than the main drive. Any advantage gained in better file managment/organization would be lost in the translation between the two mismatched drives.

Thanks FAC257, I think I am going to try some expirements, I have a good backup now of all the important stuff so I can always go back if I have to. What I really want to try is to have a Dual Boot Vista/XP system and see if I can run FSX and a few other apps from the e:Drive from both OS's. I am not sure if this will work but it is an interesting idea and I love to mess around, I know I will have to install the apps twice once for the Vista Boot and once more for the XP, what I am wondering is if I can use the same drive and installed files for each OS as they will have seperate registries. I know I am asking for trouble, but I was getting bored and I feel the need to mess around.

Wish me luck, and if this works I might have some interesting comparisons to post later.

Back