• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download

Bomber_12th

SOH-CM-2023
Hi all,

It was a great pleasure to convert this aircraft to FSX, with many thanks to Milton Shupe for providing his source files for the original FS9 models!

This conversion is fairly basic, but the models are now true FSX native. The aircraft will now display, in every detail, as they were intended to display in FS9, plus some of the additional perks of FSX.

You must first have the original SOH A-26 for FS9 installed into FSX, as I have only included the new files and the changed/edited files. If you have repaints installed, that call upon these FSX models, you will need to copy over the texture files from one of the contained texture folders.

For now, I am providing the converted files through Media Fire, which you can download at the following link. If after a few days there are no issues reported, I will then upload the files to the SOH library.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?oi2abelq9mdh5bj

I hope you enjoy it! If you do happen to spot something that you think is a problem/issue with the models, please let me know.

A-26

Thanks John, what a treat to fly this beautiful bird in FSX. When I first came to Redding, California the A-26 was one of the main fire fighting aircraft stationed at the USFS base at Redding Muni. The Tracker was also there. Great work.:medals:

Thank you so much John; they look awesome in FSX. I really appreciate you doing this. Great job! :applause:

John.....just took them for a ride......outstanding!!!! thank you so much for doing the full conversion.

I haven't been doing much sim work lately as I've been dealing with real life and bought a new toy......hope to get back to some P-51 stuff soon and buying Tear also. did you happen to se the latest magazine featuring the Nevada ANG P-51's?

View attachment 64914

Thanks John .... just downloaded it.

I am now hoping that the original repaints work on it.

I also want to make a point to thank everyone, especially Milton, who reminded me about what I had said I would set out to do - something that I lost sight of for a while. Check Checkers and Dischem Specials.

I have left everything as original to the FS9 release as possible, so all of the textures for the models from FS9 will work just fine.

Many thanks John for more great work on something other than a Mustang!! I shall now go and play with the paint kit.....!

BTW, you said it is now FSX-native; is it possible for me to make bump maps and specular shine files?

DaveQ

Thank you John!!! Its too bad you didn't do the B-26K also!

I've just copied John's new glass and prop files into the B-26K texture folders - everything seems to be OK. Not FSX-native obviously but useable I think.

DaveQ

Many thanks John for more great work on something other than a Mustang!! I shall now go and play with the paint kit.....!

BTW, you said it is now FSX-native; is it possible for me to make bump maps and specular shine files?

DaveQ

Hi Dave,

It is FSX native, but there are no bump maps or spec maps assigned to the materials, so right now there isn't support for those, even if they were to be made. My plan was to wait until larger-resolution textures could be made (doubling the size of the original texures), and then bump and spec maps would be made/assigned then. That is something I set out to do, almost from the get-go several months back, but I could never get that work finished, so I finally set my sights on just doing the most basic FSX conversion, for now, so that everyone would finally have a true FSX version (despite no bump maps or spec maps). Unfortunately it could take me a while to complete something like that.

So...

I'm thinking that between taking some time today and some time tomorrow, I will try and create some good bump and spec maps from just the existing resolution textures/templates and assign those options to the exterior materials. I'll make the spec maps "neutral", so that they can be used with any repaint, without any side-effects that comes with making spec maps unique to one individual paint scheme. Of course everyone will also be free to make their own spec maps using the already existing paintkit, if they wish.

Still, for the time being, if you're interested, please do still download the above files, in order to fly the aircraft, problem free, in FSX. When I do have the specular and bump mapped versions ready, the files will just be updated and will be able to be installed over the existing files, again. If I can get that done within today/tomorrow, those will be the files I upload to the library.

Thanks for your efforts John - very well done, like to fly this great addon in FSX in all her beauty :applause::applause::applause:

Unfortunately I had forgotten just how many texture files there are that cover the exterior surfaces, and why I got bogged down in the first place, months ago. Between the aircraft's fuselage, wings, tail, cowlings and nacelles, there are 7 textures in all. That means that in order to have both spec maps and bump maps, the aircraft would have 21 textures, just to cover the surface of the aircraft. The only way to alleviate that would be to re-map the aircraft, but then of course old repaints would no longer work.

I figure I still will go forth with the bump maps, but will leave the spec maps out, with the specular remaining in control through the model.

Back