• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Starlifter and Galaxy Prototypes

Bookman1960

SOH-CM-2023
I recently discovered photos of the Lockheed L300 (prototype Starlifter) and the L500 (prototype Galaxy)was wondering if anyone knows if there are FS versions of these lovely birds?

L300
attachment.php

attachment.php

L500
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• L300_1.jpg
    L300_1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 96
  • L300_2.jpg
    L300_2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 91
  • L500_1.jpg
    L500_1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 95
  • L500_2.jpg
    L500_2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 93
Only one's i can think of are port-over versions of the Alpha freeware model's. Look in the library for Lazarus, he did a very nice rework of the Starlifter that ive flown a few time's.

cheers ian

Believe it or not...

According to my information, Lockheed did indeed hope to garner some commercial contracts. Time magazine featured and article with information to this effect on July 12, 1968.

Lockheed also planned a civilian version of the C-5 Galaxy, the L-500, the company designation also used for the C-5 itself. Both passenger and cargo versions of the L-500 were designed. The all-passenger version would have been able to carry up to 1,000 travelers, while the all-cargo version was predicted to be able to carry typical C-5 volume for as little as 2 cents per ton-mile (in 1967 dollars). Although some interest was expressed by carriers, no orders were placed for either L-500 version, due to operational costs caused by low fuel efficiency, a significant concern for a profit-making carrier, even before the oil crisis of the 1970's, keen competition from Boeing's 747, and high costs incurred by Lockheed in developing the C-5 and later, the L-1011 which led to the governmental rescue of the company.

attachment.php

Later the Galaxy was considered for the shuttle-carrier role by NASA, but rejected in favor of the 747—in part due to the 747's low-wing design in comparison to the C-5's high-wing design, and also because the U.S. Air Force would have retained ownership of the C-5, while NASA could own the 747s outright. The proposed Galaxy Carrier would have featured twin fuselages, which would have been a spectacular monster. Needless to say - they lost. This design would have been a far riskier proposition than the relatively unmodified 747- though it would have been a truly incredible sight.

Im wondering if these are just artistic flights of fancy or did Lockheed really develop the C-5 with one eye on civilian sale's.

Attachments

• Galaxy_SCA.jpg
    Galaxy_SCA.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 182
It does but wait until it's in a sale. Your overwhelming disappointment will be offset by the sale price!

ATB
DaveB:)

Doesn't Area51 have a C-5? May be a C-5M though.

The Area51 model is the C-5M. If you are accustomed to high immersion aircraft, you may be let down. The VC is lacking to the point where I can't muster the courage to fly it.

While not complex by any measure she is still fun to fly but anyway I did a repaint a while ago..never got round to uploading to anywhere..if there is enough interest I may or alternatively I can send it via email possibly...She was however a pain in the arse to repaint especially the rear end..took some doing with stretched textures here and there..
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot1361.jpg
    screenshot1361.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 90
  • screenshot1362.jpg
    screenshot1362.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 91
  • screenshot1365.jpg
    screenshot1365.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 90
  • screenshot1363.jpg
    screenshot1363.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 91
attachment.php
I attempted to do the same as a fun paint to the Area51 C-17 and gave up...their texture layouts are mind bending..unfortunate as would have looked cool..

Attachments

• screenshot1366.jpg
    screenshot1366.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 180
The UNited paint looks awesome,..might have a crack at both but may need help doing the polished steel alpha's..:encouragement:

I think that gray/white paint looks great. I've always liked that scheme.

If you upload it I'll definitely download a copy. Might even inspire me to log a few hours in the Galaxy.

PF

My Old Unit! Thank you

You've painted one of the very aircraft I crewed back in the mid-80's at Dover AFB! Wonderful.

Thank you

Thanks from me too AB. I really don't care for the model much but as often happens.. a decent paint can lift an otherwise mediocre model out of the mire;)
ATB
DaveB:)

Sorry for bringing up this very old thread but can I have the livery too please for Area51 Galaxy?? The download link above requires me to sign in with Google and I am not member of Google.

Regards,

Aharon

Sorry for bringing up this very old thread but can I have the livery too please for Area51 Galaxy?? The download link above requires me to sign in with Google and I am not member of Google.

Regards,

Aharon

area51_c5m_liverypackv2.0fsx.zip in the AVSIM Library. Will this do, Aharon?

Back