• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Tips for mission building

Ludo

Members +
With some quick search on how to get the mission builder I am thinking of starting creating, or at least try, some missions, mostly Japan Homeland Defense, involving N1Ks, Ki-61/100, Ki-44/84, etc. I don't have the same knowledge as some of the creators of planes/sceneries/skins/missions etc for CFS2 so it may not be 100% historicaly accurate but will try my best. I'm thinking about doing the first air battle of the 343rd air Group on March 19, 1945.

As it will be my first I guess it will be quite a lot of trials and errors but is there anything in particular that I should be cautious about?

With some quick search on how to get the mission builder I am thinking of starting creating, or at least try, some missions, mostly Japan Homeland Defense, involving N1Ks, Ki-61/100, Ki-44/84, etc. I don't have the same knowledge as some of the creators of planes/sceneries/skins/missions etc for CFS2 so it may not be 100% historicaly accurate but will try my best. I'm thinking about doing the first air battle of the 343rd air Group on March 19, 1945.

As it will be my first I guess it will be quite a lot of trials and errors but is there anything in particular that I should be cautious about?
First get the Cody Coyote missions builder handbook,I think there 2 now.
2-Read it and make the missions in it.This way you learn the functions of the MB.
3-After you learn that make some simple missions on your own
4-Download the scenery,planes and anything else you will need.You may need to download infrastructures for the scenery,just follow the instructions.Things you will need should be in the read me.Xavier did Japanese scenery.
5-Take your time and have fun.

Some of the mission builders at SOH have been doing it 15 to 20 years and maybe can give you some suggestions.

Hiede

Hey Ludo, great that you want to start building missions!
Hiede is spot on with her suggestions, that´s the way to go. In the beginning, try to keep your missions simple. When you get some experience you can try more complex ones.
If you need any specific tips, just shout, I´ll be happy to help, if I can.

Thank you for your suggestions Hiede and Skylane, I am slowly processing things. I have quite a definite idea of what I would like and I managed to find some sources for the historical side of things. I have everything needed but in the MB everytime when I try to add a new ship, vehicle or infrastructure the MB CTDs. Unless I only add planes and leave the players add/modify the mission as they wish. I am little frustrated by these CTDs, I will try to figure out what could be the cause...

Thank you for your suggestions Hiede and Skylane, I am slowly processing things. I have quite a definite idea of what I would like and I managed to find some sources for the historical side of things. I have everything needed but in the MB everytime when I try to add a new ship, vehicle or infrastructure the MB CTDs. Unless I only add planes and leave the players add/modify the mission as they wish. I am little frustrated by these CTDs, I will try to figure out what could be the cause...
If you have windows 10 or 11 there is thread in the sticky section that could help you.

Hiede

I have never seen this issue with MB, so I have no idea what to do.
Do you use a fresh install of the sim, or one that you have used for a long time?

It's an install that I use since at least 2020 (Covid...) so I added quite a lot of things, even if I removed quite some planes/ships. Maybe a problem with the file "mdlnames", for example I don't find the N1K1 by Yashico and updated by UncleTgt that I am planning to use in this file. But I can still select it when I add a new plane so it may be somethnig else. Maybe I should try with a fresh install...

This sounds like the problems you get as the install approaches the maximum number of aircraft/objects & still have Mission Builder (& Free Flight & Quick Combat) work.

The 100 aircraft limit is well known. It's not a hard & fast limit.

The object DPs seem more hardware dependent. Mine seem to be OK up to 1600 - 1900 items (not including CDP files).

I would scrutinise your Objects_DP folder & archive some items there (ie. - stuff without a CDP file hasn't been used anytime recently. Do you really need those old CFS1 objects? etc ).

After doing housekeeping like this I always start the Sim & fly a bit first. Only then do I shut down & launch Mission Builder. Sometimes after adding/removing stuff, going straight to Mission Builder causes it to CTD, as though all those filedat & scenery.cfg changes haven't registered with it until after you've fired up the Sim itself... It can be a fickle thing sometimes...

There is a max number of ships too - 110-120. UncleTgt is right about the number of ObjectsDP, the total number aircraft (including those with additional texture folders like the Donation-ware SBDs and F4Fs), and the starting of the sim in single player to lock in the changes when you make additions as well. Oh, and It might be a good idea to check the Properties of your cfs2.cfg file. Make sure it is NOT set to "read only."

Mission Builder can be a bit finicky sometimes, so be sure to save your work periodically, but always under a sightly different name. That way if the current file should get corrupted, you have an earlier saved copy to work from and recover.

It is very satisfying when you put together a mission and everything works right.

Cheers:
SW07

Alright, I can use my MB now, I simply had too many planes, that causes the CTD, too many things that could be put as infrastructures I guess. I can now fully start building the mission little by little.

Alright, I'm progressing slowly, just have to add triggers and events, start or action delays, this kind of things. Have to test it too but for now it is fun :jump:

Alright, I am nearing completion, just some flight tests to make but it's looking good. Not sure if it will be as enjoyable as I wish for all of you more experienced players but at least it is fun to make :mixed-smiley-010:

Keep going Ludo. Its always good when someone "new" starts to tinker & create some new stuff, especially the art of Mission Building :jump:

Ok, I am currently doing a mission with some beautiful planes, just have to test flight it and make some adjustments if needed but I am really beginning to like it :jump:

Ludo,

I usually work in the Med and in Europe for CFS2, but as far as MB experience is concerned, I'd be happy to provide tips, especially for more complex missions such as convoy attacks, ground attacks on moving targets, and missions where you objective can shift after the primary mission is completed.

If you ever want to have a conversation, please let me know.

Back