• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

P3D_V5 Can't install Sim Skunk Works F-104 via add-on method

crushnik

Members +
I've always installed my aircraft by using the add-on method. For some reason I can't get the Sim Skunk Works F-104 to work. I used the installer to place it into my Documents\P3Dv5 Add-Ons folder, then created an add-on.xml with the appropriate folders. Tried using the entire C:\ path or just the steamlined simobjects\airplanes addresses. Tried starting P3D with the F-104 entered into the add-ons.cfg file and also tried leaving it out. Nothing is working. Here is my add-on.xml (this format, or usually one with the entire C:\ path usually gives me no problems with other aircraft):

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>Sim Skunk Works Lockheed Martin FRF-104 G</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>Sim Skunk Works Lockheed Martin FRF-104 G</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>SimObjects</Category>
<Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Effects</Category>
<Path>Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Gauges</Category>
<Path>Gauges</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Sound</Category>
<Path>Sound</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Below is an image of the add-on's directory:
Screenshot 2021-09-06 095130.jpg

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Hi
Is your xml correctly encoding? (UTF-8)
Had you a request from P3D for activating it?
It is the first aircraft you put in this folder or there are another aircrafts?
Is your xml file in a folder which must be in first level in C:\Users\name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files?
Regards
Michel

Is your xml correctly encoding? (UTF-8)
Had you a request from P3D for activating it?
It is the first aircraft you put in this folder or there are another aircrafts?
Is your xml file in a folder which must be in first level in C:\Users\name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files?

No request from P3D when it launches.
There are several other aircraft in my Prepare3D v5 Add-ons folder, but the F-104 has a folder of its own.
I have tried with or without the entire file folder structure, and this is a copied add-on.xml from other aircraft which work fine.
Maybe I just need to install the traditional way, and if I run into problems it will uninstall without ruining any other files. I just prefer the add-on method for my piece of mind.

Thanks for responding!

"... There are several other aircraft in my Prepare3D v5 Add-ons folder, but the F-104 has a folder of its own..."
Make a test with the same path as the others.

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>Sim Skunk Works Lockheed Martin FRF-104 G</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>Sim Skunk Works Lockheed Martin FRF-104 G</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>SimObjects</Category>
<Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Effects</Category>
<Path>Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Gauges</Category>
<Path>Gauges</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Sound</Category>
<Path>Sound</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

You've got a duplicate /AddOn.Component line for one thing. 5th line up from the bottom.

Dave

You've got a duplicate /AddOn.Component line for one thing. 5th line up from the bottom.

Dave

Sometimes it takes a set of fresh eyes... Not sure how that extra line got in there, but thanks! While that solved one problem, the whole aircraft is black, and I got an error message about the sound config file. After all that, I think I'll just install the normal way.

Sometimes it takes a set of fresh eyes... Not sure how that extra line got in there, but thanks! While that solved one problem, the whole aircraft is black, and I got an error message about the sound config file. After all that, I think I'll just install the normal way.

Daft question perhaps -- but have you actually installed the textures in with the models?

Dave

Back