• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

DCS for a carrier ops junkie?

delta_lima

Charter Member 2015
Hi all,

Probably a common story - but I'm at a curious crossroads with my sim experience.

I loved the wide variety of carrier ops that were possible in P3D, but after trying MSFS, am really impressed with the visuals in that sim. I have Miltech Supercarriers, and like how it's possible to have a slightly more active deck. I also appreciate that I'm not wasting as much time tweaking and setting up - just hop in and fly. So have been doing a decent familiarization routine in the IFE T-45C, and rewarding myself with "fleet squadron" assignments with the freeware C, F, and G model Hornets. I've thought about getting the DC Harrier, but then I starting watching YT videos on the DCS F/A-18C, and it's made we wonder if I shouldn't get DCS.

For context, years ago I really enjoyed Strike Fighters P1 and some of the derivatives, and enjoyed flying the combat missions on occasion. So for starters, my pc:

Make and ModelME PC Phantom A58N Gaming PC
Part NumberPhantom A58N
Operating SystemWindows® 11 Home
ProcessorAMD® Ryzen™ 7 5800X3D Processor
- 8 CPU Cores / 16 Threads
- 4.50GHz Max Boost Clock
- 3.40GHz Base Clock
CPU CoolerThermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE ARGB CPU Cooler
MotherboardMSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi Motherboard
Memory32GB DDR4-3200 RAM (2x 16GB)
- Support up to 128 GB (32 GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory
- 4 DIMM slots (2 slots filled)
GraphicsGeForce RTX™ 4070 12GB PCI-E Graphics Card*
* Make & model may vary based on availability.
Multi-GPU SupportNone
Expansion Slots1 x PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E1)
2 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
Storage1 x 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Connectors:
- 2 x M.2 NVMe PCIe slots (1 filled)
- 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
Drive Bays:
- 2 x 3.5"
- 2 x 2.5"

I find it runs MSFS well, with FPS capped at 60FPS, smooth and fluid for most of my work. Good enough for the DCS sim? I think so, but feedback welcome.

Next, for a carrier nut like myself, I'm assuming that atop the base game, I'd want the Supercarriers mod and a core plane mod (leaning to the Hornet slightly over the Harrier) and a map? Anything else anyone believes I need from where I'm at.

In essence, I'm seeing MSFS as the shore/training experience, whereas DCS would be for simulating being deployed.

Also, while I like the idea of multiplayer (MP), in reality I don't have the flexibility in time to make MP commitments, so I'm wondering if the campaigns work decently well with AI wingmen etc in single-player (SP) mode. I found SFP1 adequate, but not overly intelligent AI-wise.

Thanks,

dl

@delta_lima

DL, you're going to love DCS. There's no other carrier experience like it. Based on what you've said, I'd go Hornet if you're looking. You can also get a free T-45 mod for DCS as well. It's stand alone with it's own cockpit and avionics. The Tomcat for DCS is also an experience you may want to have. The F-4E is not carrier but it's incredible. Be prepared for a learning curve. The campaigns are good. The AI can be dumb at times but they can also be scripted and be good. The campaigns (which I've never used) are good as described by people who have used them. They can also be really well done from detailed voice acting etc. The carrier ops is second to none in any sim I've ever seen. Nothing holds a candle to DCS in terms of milsim. I mainly fly MP. So once a week I fly with about 8-12 guys on the regular. Last flight we were low level for an air base strike to a pop up MK-84 pair drop as a 4 ship. The previous strike group was 2 mins ahead of us for GBU-38 Fly up. And we had Pre briefed DSEAD for the VUL. It was awesome. SA-2, 3, 5, 8, Firecans on AAA. Very exciting. You'll love it. Air Air Refueling works.

dl - The specs of your rig are similar to mine and I feel that my DCS experience is pretty good. (Spend some time watching YouTube videos by Growling Sidewinder and you will see the graphics DCS is capable of....it is not an eye candy monster like MSFS2020, but it is not bad.) You will find that DCS is spectacular for systems simulation, flight modeling / physics and, of course, weaponry. You will also find the carrier experience far superior to MSFS. If you want to get the best available carrier experience, get the F-18 module (this is the most advanced, best supported module from Eagle Dynamics) and the Super Carrier module (it's got loads of functionality...LSO, moving deck crew, launch, trap, etc., etc.). You will also want some scenery. I own 95% of the available modules and use maybe 25%, so no need to go overboard right away. (I also recommend you purchase Flaming Cliffs early on because it includes some good, inexpensive aircraft).

You will also want "good" controls for DCS and some type of eye tracking. I use winwing controllers, TM warthog, MFG pedals and Tobii eye tracker. Winwing stuff is my preferred controls.

dl, bottom line is that if you want good carrier operations simulation, you will wonder why you waited so long to get involved with DCS.

I do not do multi player, but have always liked the idea. Mach3, sounds like you have a great group.

[Edit: To give you an example of my preference for DCS, I would really like to see an S-3A/B simulated in any simulator, but if given a choice of which one, definitely DCS no if ands or buts.]

Last edited:
Thanks to you both.

I've got a nice VKB Gladiator stick and throttle set up, which while not quite a crazy setup, still provides good, "heavy" feel and nice long throttle throw, so I feel well set up hardware-wise.

Sounds like the Hornet and Supercarrier packs are my starting point.

And yes, @rvn817j , I miss the P3D IFE badly. Is such a fun aircraft, and would love it in MSFS. Or maybe DCS ... :)

cheers,

dl

S-3A CoTac (Copilot / Tacco) here. Wanting to relive the glory of my youth! LOL! (I'm dreaming, the market is far too small and the job of this aircraft was not very glamorous when compared to the go fast, blow things up crowd.)

Last edited:
S-3A CoTac (Copilot / Tacco) here. Wanting to relive the glory of my youth! LOL! (I'm dreaming, the market is far too small and the job of this aircraft was not very glamorous when compared to the go fast, blow things up crowd.)

Small aside, but as a prairie boy growing up in Alberta, I was fascinated by submarines in particular, and naval operations in general. So the natural intersection point of aviation and submarine interests were carrier borne anti-submarine warfare, and the S-3 was always a favourite of mine, whether seeing them at airshows or museums.

Alas, as an army signals officer, I had to settle for doing in a LAV what I would rather had been doing in an ES-3B Shadow.

es-3b_s-3.jpg

Same reason the new EF-18G Growler is one of my favourite MSFS planes ... and freeware to boot! :)

For me as former helo aircrew, DCS and the Super Carrier was the closest I have experienced to boat ops. When MSFS initially had static boats I felt were were going back to FS9 days. Miltech has brought naval ops forward, combined with the water environment and now AAR by Airshow Assistant. I've had the most immersive DCS experience with human LSOs when I was a member of a milsim group.

Side note, got an S-3 ride off/on the boat and seemed at least in our air wing the ES-3s of VQ-6 did alot of tanking verse SIGINT missions.

In my carrier days (prehistoric times'77 -'79) there were only S-3As. It was, however, shall we say, a blast! I hunted subs, dropped all kinds of ordinance (mines, practice bombs and torps, not to mention loads of sonobouys, and shot rockets). Ahhh, the good old days!

For me as former helo aircrew, DCS and the Super Carrier was the closest I have experienced to boat ops. When MSFS initially had static boats I felt were were going back to FS9 days. Miltech has brought naval ops forward, combined with the water environment and now AAR by Airshow Assistant. I've had the most immersive DCS experience with human LSOs when I was a member of a milsim group.

Side note, got an S-3 ride off/on the boat and seemed at least in our air wing the ES-3s of VQ-6 did alot of tanking verse SIGINT missions.
Well, the guys in the LAV often passed a lot of gas, so I guess it was more similar to ES-3 duty than I thought... :)

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah - at a cross roads - do I invest in more MSFS stuff like AAssistant, the DC Harrier, etc. Or just go with DCS and buy a couple of the main modules that appeal to me (Hornet, Harrier, and Supercarrier) and go that route. After what I'm hearing, it's more the latter than the former.

I run both sims and tend to restrict my M$FS purchases to sales of higher quality GA products (and, of course, many of Dino's jets). Both sims have a strength and, if you want the carrier based experience (or weaponry on your wing), DCS is it. Don't overlook Flaming Cliffs for DCS as you get a number of good quality aircraft for a relatively low price (and waiting for a sale is even better).

I run 3, P3Dv5.3, MSFS, and DCS. On MSFS, I held off purchasing military add-ons given the limitations on sensors/weps by Asobo. Purchasing the same military aircraft available in both sims, one can see just how far DCS and MSFS are apart. Jumping from the DCS F-16, F-18, or Raz AV-8 to the MSFS versions takes a bit of getting used to, however the IFE-Dino/Heatblur F-14 was easy outside of a few key bindings. That said, I do all of my hardcore mil flying/shooting in DCS and just have fun in MSFS with low levels over great looking terrian (Mach Loop, Sidewinder-Jedi trans).

Well, the guys in the LAV often passed a lot of gas, so I guess it was more similar to ES-3 duty than I thought... :)

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah - at a cross roads - do I invest in more MSFS stuff like AAssistant, the DC Harrier, etc. Or just go with DCS and buy a couple of the main modules that appeal to me (Hornet, Harrier, and Supercarrier) and go that route. After what I'm hearing, it's more the latter than the former.
I promise you, that you will not regret going DCS route. The mil flying is far more challenging and exponentially more satisfying than P3D with TacPack ever was. Because everything in DCS works. Not without it's faults, but it works. Also keep in mind that once ED integrates the Vukan API we're set to move into the spherical earth model, away from "maps" as the only places to fly. Maps I believe will integrate as highly detailed areas as I understand it. But that all being sorted out. So the old excuse of we don't have anywhere to fly will be removed. As it stands I thoroughly enjoy all the maps. I own Sinai, Kola, South Atlantic, Syria, Persian Gulf, NTTR along side the 2 free maps of Caucasus and Mariana's islands.

Back