• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Difference between HD4850 and 4870 please

Bandwidth is 70 and bufferpool 100MB, will play with those shortly.

Best

Michael

Hey...You are still a tad warm..But certainly within the limits of that Intel CPU...

For applying paste to the CPU its about as much as a large grain of rice is....

I never smear it..I just place the heatsink and lock her down...The heat will do the rest...LOL

Glad to hear that you are better now...

The Texture_Bandwidth_Multiplier in the config will help with those slight stutters usually.... 40 is default and can go as high as 70-80 even test 100-110 if needed

But the test needs to be more than a minute flight...

Right, back to CPU temps, quick clean of one surface and rebuild, still no difference, idles at 60'C, now heres a thing, the PC has been running for 60mins at 60'C average, yet the heat sink wasn't that hot, more like 40ish.

Bad heat flow ?, possibly not, the chip wasn't that hot either, certainly not 60'C, thats the temp we use to boil off Legionella in water systems so I know full well what 60'C feels like :).

I do have a system temp of 42'C and the Bios confirms this, which temp is critical, is the system temp the average of the chip and the one to look at, or is the core the critical one, other than sticking it in a freezer I cant see how the core can be lowered, the chip most certainly is not feeling like 60'C to me, I can of course test it with a temp probe I have once its shut down.

Best

Michael

Addendum, ok after more FSx running the core temps are up on before so need more paste or a much better cooling arrangement, CPU does not exceed 80'C and then stutters begin, having said that this is the first time I've been able to fly the F-18 from the VC smoothly, though theres no MFDs displaying which might be why and an odd side effect thats just occured. None the less CPU cooling seems to be mandatory now, at 77'C I'm averaging 60-70FPS with the stunt planes in spot view, medium settings and no AI, water off. A ;ower CPU temp will allow me to push it up a little, or more like just consolidate what I have here for the immediate future until new hardware arrives. This high temp is niggling me now, I watched it whilst flying FSx, it does rise very quickly and droips just as quick, which might explain why the chip felt cool earlier.

Just as a by the by is there a thread around with suggestions on how to set up the 4850? Settings and such?

There is a guide here somewhere...You need a link?

Michael...Thats getting hot..But I believe the bios, but it seems to be cooling way down before you can get into it to see....

Ohh I think your right, its way too hot going by what everyone else says, thats priority #1 right now, at the moment I have the side off and it made no difference, next I'll try a large desk fan to assist and increase airflow, something somewhere has to begin to make an improvement. It just all seems to be about +20'C too high all round :(.

Best

Michael

There is a guide here somewhere...You need a link?

Michael...Thats getting hot..But I believe the bios, but it seems to be cooling way down before you can get into it to see....

I'm using core temp, I begining to wonder if that might not be right, i think i have HWMonitor somewhere so might try that.

CoreTemp is just fine, I use it myself.

FWIW,
I'm building a system with a 4850 with a little bit slower clock speed but has 2GB of memory...

...and two GPUs.

A 2GB 4850 ?, didnt see anything bigger than 1GB, thats a whole lot of GPU RAM !.

Panther refers to the HD4850X2, which is basically a Crossfire tandem of two '50s on a single card.

Shares all pros and cons with a regular Crossfire'd 4850.

Ohh I think your right, its way too hot going by what everyone else says, thats priority #1 right now, at the moment I have the side off and it made no difference, next I'll try a large desk fan to assist and increase airflow, something somewhere has to begin to make an improvement. It just all seems to be about +20'C too high all round :(.

That's weird, even for the Intel stock cooler...

Yes please. I've had a look around and couldn't find anything mentioned.

Man...This place is a mess... they are here somewhere...

I just FUBARED my ATI machine and have settings pics on that, but off hand I can't remember..

I'll keep looking ...Sorry.

Pips...

This is all I could find on this test pooter... The last items are checked, and checked ,,all sliders to the right from the pic beyond what does not show...

ati_settings.jpg

Update, stripped the CPU cooler down again and re applied the paste as suggested above, not a thin smear but a small blob, bingo, instant CPU core improvement, idle at 47'C and FSx flat out at 59-61'C, cant test FSx exhausitvely but the CPU is now stable, shame as I ordered a new cooler fan last night !, still that'll be usefull for the newer chip.

FSx is as smooth as before but more stable, some cfg tweaks might iron the last out of this tired old PC, which to be honest is doing far better than its spec suggests, most of which I'm putting down to minimal OS services running in the back ground ( currently 20 ).

Best

Michael

Michael...A HUGH improvement...

Never a waste to get a bigger cooler....Money well spent IMO..Plus you have it for life for any socket 775 CPU....

Never a waste to get a bigger cooler....Money well spent IMO...

This is why I'd recomend the HIS IceQ version of a 4850. You get a double hight cooler that exhausts out the back of your case. Sure they are clocked a tiny bit higher but they have overclocking room and the cooler gives you plenty of heat control.

I bought 2 HIS IceQ 4850's a month apart from each other. I keep both at 680 mHz core and 1120 memory (stock is 650 and 1000).

I don't use crossfire while in FSX, but for everything else crossfire rocks.

Thanks for that 2low...... My 4870X2 has great fan control, and exhausts out the back too,..Nice feature...

Not 100% on ATI , but I think even with CrossfireX turned orr in the CCC, its still considered crossfire, enen if you take the bridge off...but it makes no real difference anyway, cause the cards rock....

My new HD4850 Ice-Q arrives tomorrow :), and once again begins the good old ATI driver removal saga <sigh>.

I'm currently running the CP variant of 8.x, however more recent ones only seem to come in the CCC format, I personally dont like CCC and it leaves a lot of applications running in the back ground, previous CCC drivers needed to look on line each time you wanted to even adjust something like AA or even screen size, stopping CCC from booting just stopped you from adjusting anything GPU related.

Is that still the case these days ?, I only ask as the one reason I think this tired old E6300 does so well is due to my aggressive lack of back ground services, its current at 17, I dont want to add more TBH.

Kindest

Michael

The new CCC does not do all that stuff...However it does have some background stuff running.....

Look at the link three posts up and their guide will tell you whats running and how to kill it if you want...

That being said the new 9.3 driver is good for me... (no difference than the 8.12 as I can tell)

Uninstall your old one from Add / Remove...Then run Reg Cleaner...

That should do it......:wave: :ernae:

Back