• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

FsX Configurator

After a bit of experimentation I think I managed to get some improvement. The provided fsx.cfg was unusable. One of the options created flickering ground textures (off/on). Also I wanted the highest quality water which my machine can handle. By adding each option one at a time I found that only one of the changes was involved. In heavy scenery areas (e.g., UTX Alaska in Anchorage), I can still get about 15 fps reported by Fraps. Over water (carrier operations) I could get nearly 50 fps. This is pretty good considering I am using Nvidia 3D which requires not quite twice the processing for a fixed fps (15 fps reported is 30 fps in the eyes of the external fps limiter).

OK, I must be a total tool for not figuring out how to do this. I found my FSX.cfg file but what do I do next?

Matt

I'm going to try this, and will report back tomorrow, when I am sober. :ernae:

Seems like a great utility, though!

Well! I finally sobered up :))), and it does indeed work like advertised!

Really. I have a slow system:

G50VT-X1 Specifications
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz
Windows Vista OS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
Hard Drive 320GB (7200RPM)
Screen Size 15.6" HD (1366x768)
RAM 4GB DDR2 667Mhz
Optical Drive DVD SuperMulti with Light Scribe
Direct Disc Labeling Yes
Graphics Card NVIDIA 9800M GS with 512MB GDDR3 VRAM

yet performance is MUCH smoother after doing this tweak. Much smoother!

I was having trouble even at Vashon, but after applying this, no troubles at all.

One question, I left the default external limiter value at 30, but given that I have never seen a framerate above 20, even with these two utilities, should I lower it, and would it help?

Oh, I was going to suggest that this be made a "sticky", but I see I have been beaten to the punch, LOL!

I tried the frame rate limiter from the link on the configurator page but when I click on its app icon a small dos like black box comes up and quickly is gone again. Any ideas why or how to fix?

I tried the frame rate limiter from the link on the configurator page but when I click on its app icon a small dos like black box comes up and quickly is gone again. Any ideas why or how to fix?

Don't double click the executable labeled "FPS_LIMITER". You want to double click the MS DOS batch file executable named "fsx.exe.limited".

Ok it seems you have to create a batch file. I dont know how to do this so could someone send me their correct batch file for fsx?
I will pm email address.

Someone sending the .bat file to you won't work. Here's the readme in English:

History:
--------
Version 0.2, 11/15/2007
-----------------------
- New command line switch to set the desired fps (/f:x), default is 30
- New command line switch to enable or disable logging (/l:ON|OFF), default is OFF
- New ingame keys to change the desired fps (F10 decrease / F11 increase)
- New ingame fps display, show or hide with F12, command line switch is /x:ON|OFF, default is OFF
Version 0.1b, 11/13/2007
-----------------------
- Fixed Bug in D3D9 Hook
- Fixed Bug in D3D8 Hook

Version 0.1, 11/12/2007
-----------------------
Run FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar and click SEARCH EXECUTABLE
browse for and select FSX.exe
set frame limit to 30 under MAXIMUM FPS
Click CREATE BAT
Once complete close the interface and use the created file fsx.exe.limited.bat to start FSX (double click it)
set frame lock to UNLIMTED in FSX and use the AG slider to tune

You MUST have JAVA installed to use that interface
Now here is the deal... this attacks the UNLIMITED FRAME LOCK problem related to Vsync introduced by Aces in SP1/SP2. Instead of tuning the FRAME LOCK you will tune the AUTOGEN slider for smooth results where you are flying. Leave the FSX frame lock slider at UNLIMITED at all times.
You can fine tune this app as well...
I found 30 was the sweet spot for all occasions. I would suggest no less than 24 and no more than 30 but start with 30.

FSX must always be started by clicking the created command line BAT file.. NOT the FSX desktop icon

Thanks Roger but nothing happens when I click that jar file. Does it really help that much, starting to wonder if this tweak is really worth the trouble, lol.

Just what came with win 7. I must have the latest java because the national weather service radar works and that requires the latest version.

Back