• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

FSX - New PC Advice

One thing I wish someone would make is... a converter for AGP slot to PCI-express. Then we could use the newer video cars on our old AGP motherboards. I kick my self for not getting a motherboard with both AGP and PCI-express when I had the chance.

The HD4870X2 is the same length as the Nvidia 8800GTX...so you're good to go, Bjoern :)

No, I'm not. My 8800GTS (23cm) and my new Spinpoint F1 sit back to back...no way I could ever squeeze an 8800GTX (27cm) in there!

The next upgrade will be a new tower. I'm sick of having to stick my fingers into gaps between sharp edges and cables made for kids hands. :banghead:

Nice case, but too expensive for my taste. You could 4 Gbytes of high quality Ram for that! :isadizzy:

Great stuff there Txnetcop...Thanks for all that info......:applause:

Now if we could just get MS to recode this thing all would be gravy....:d

Here's hoping FS11 will be all new code that will be capable of allowing both high graphics settings and at high, smooth, frame rates.

The price of memory has dropped drastically in the last 12-18 months.....even DDR3 is coming down to more reasonable levels (eg I paid over €800 for the 8GB of memory for my main PC earlier this year!:redf:)

The price of memory has dropped drastically in the last 12-18 months.....even DDR3 is coming down to more reasonable levels (eg I paid over €800 for the 8GB of memory for my main PC earlier this year!:redf:)

OUCH...............:banghead:

Your New System

Ok, I'm no expert, but this is what I have found and it works great. I just got the Gateway FX-6710 for $945 from Best Buy. It has the
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor1 Q9400 (2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 2 x 3MB L2 cache), with 6 gig of RAM and running 64 bit Vist. As you may know FSX SP1 & 2 enables multithreading to make sure you get all ponies running from that Quad unit. I have the stock Nvidia 9800 GT running 512 (I'm an ATI fan but FSX runs better on Nvidia, check Tom's Hardware Graphics results). I have all sliders maxed and I'm running 4x antriscopic. On my 22" Gateway HD monitor at 1680 x 1050 I average 25.6 FPS. Since movies run at 16 FPS I would say not a bad set up for under $1,300 total.

Before somebody slaps me, 35 mm movies run at 24 fps. I was thinking of 16mm.

I'm an ATI fan but FSX runs better on Nvidia, check Tom's Hardware Graphics results

Sorry......but Tom's Hardware got it wrong.........very wrong. Best gfx card on the market is the ATi HD4870X2. Nvidia's best is the GTX280...but even that is closely matched by the much cheaper ATi HD4870.
I'd recommend overclocking your processor (assuming your mobo allows this) and maybe fitting an aftermarket cpu cooler. :)

For what it's worth, I own both a 4870X2 and a GTX280. The GTX280 is faster in FSX, because the 4870X2's second GPU never kicks in with FSX. If you're going ATI, just save the money and get a single-GPU 4870.

The 4870X2 is the fastest single card only in apps which take advantage of SLI/CrossFire. Which FSX does not. But frankly, they're both fast enough that, unless you're running at crazy high resolutions with AA/AF on, you're going to be more limited by CPU speed than graphics power anyway with either card.

BTW, folks, if you're buying a PC for FSX, hold out till later in November/December when the Core i7 CPUs ship. The $300 Core i7-920 base model is faster than a QX9770. The more expensive versions are way faster than a QX9770. I've tested the Core i7, and I've now seen Seattle at 20 fps with a combo of maxed and 3/4 right sliders. My QX9770 can't do that. The jump of 8 to 10 fps that TxNetCop doesn't sound impressed by is actually pretty impressive when you're starting at at 12 to 17 fps in some areas. :) FSX is actually one of the games that's most affected by Core i7's performance, since it's CPU-limited. Most games are GPU-limited.

Back