• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Guess the airbase

those hangers that are mid-field and out on the ramp,my family would always sit out there to see the airshows,er open houses. and those fields out there?..spend time on fires out there several times,the entire area is known as the "thermal lands",hot and arid,with an almost constant wind...lots of grass fires.

Thanks to centuryseries there is now a period tower in the scenery:

eniW4uv.jpg

I can report to you all that the Blackbird is coming along. Dimus and I have been wondering whether his KBAB or the airplane would get released first :)

We're still a ways from the Habu's release though. The gear in the RSO seat is quite challenging to code. But we're doing it all. Not 90% of the SR-71's systems, but all of it.

It's a massive project but when it's done it will be worth it. You'll get the full experience of flying this beast. And it can be a beast!

Great job, Dimus and team.

Dutch

Thanks Dutch!

The full experience was the reason for making this base. Like starting in the hangar for a night sortie:

dbnkRt5.jpg

d4FtEw8.jpg

Don't know if any of you have noticed the spilled fuel.

Thanks Dutch!

The full experience was the reason for making this base. Like starting in the hangar for a night sortie:

dbnkRt5.jpg

d4FtEw8.jpg

Don't know if any of you have noticed the spilled fuel.

Beautiful, Dimus and Butch.

Just some info, the fuel spots on the ground weren't spilled, rather it was leaked. The airframe of the SR-71, as well as the fuel tanks, were designed to expand when at speed, from air friction, thus sealing the tanks. The fuel was designed for the heat, and would not catch fire at normal air temps. I was based at Kadena AFB on Okinawa in 1970-71. We had at least 5 SR-71's based there, and really enjoyed watching them. There is nothing that compares to the sound of those engines in full AB!!!

Thanks Don! You're absolutely right about the Blackbird fuel. It was actually a special product, JP-7. I used the wrong word there, indeed it was leaked and not spilled.

While the airframe was designed to expand, the sealant used on the fuel tanks was never satisfactory and work continued for a long time to produce a sealant that worked at all temps. Leaks were checked on a drips per minute basis - clearly if it leaked profusely in some areas then it would be investigated and made better.

Its a common misconception that the SR took off with a less than maximum fuel load because of the leaks. It actually took off with less to provide both better single engine performance if an engine failed, better aborted takeoff braking capability and to cause less wear and tear on the main gear tyres.

Dimus, will the mirrors be working on the finished product?

Looking at weights, a SR-71s empty and loaded weights are comparable to a 737, with much smaller tyres, and a takeoff/landing speed well in excess of a fully loaded 737 (170kts +). The stresses on those tyres at MTOW would have been insane.

Blackbird Hangars get the PBR treatment:

8BVlRUC.jpg

All still WIP of course. PBR is very new for me but I'm slowly getting there.

Thanks all for the kind words!

I am getting to like more and more PBR. Especially PBRed glass like here in the modern tower:

hbc1H8m.jpg

I realized that I have to increase the saturation of the diffuse/albedo. PBR washes out colors.

Back