• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Isn't This Beautiful

I tried converting the Joe Binka G-44A radial version with MCX and merged it with the goose VC. Came out ok with some nits. Glass is opaque and spinners need chrome. I can probably fix those but the animation of the props needs a fix I can't do with MCX. Prop animation in Scrubby's conversion doesn't look its best either. Anyone able to have a go?

Cessna UC-78 Bobcat

Well, here is a new one for the thread...from our Warbirds Library is the T-50 which is pretty much the same as the UC-78. Here is our link to the library:
http://Add-Ons LibraryFS Add-Ons Li...psALPHA Cessna T-50 Bobcat FSX\P3D native.zip

The original use of Cessna's T-50s had been in a light transport role, and in 1942 the USAAF decided that these aircraft would be valuable for liaison/communication purposes and as light personnel transports. Production of this variant totalled 1,287, the aircraft being named Bobcat and given the designation C-78, later changed to UC-78. In addition, a small number of commercial T-50s were impressed for service with the USAAF under the designation UC-78A. (From Aviastar.com)

PC Aviator still has the Milviz version for sale for $39.95. Blackbird Simulations is not selling it any longer for P3DV4 or FSX or SE. I do not believe at this time even though Blackbird Simulations has created a version for MSFS and made some of their FSX/P3D aircraft available for free download at ORBX this is not available there at least not yet.

Download it from our library if you want to fly it.

QRaBPjf.jpg

I always enjoy this post with the huge variety of aircraft. :applause: :applause:

The Milviz/Blackbird T-50 is available free to download from their site under Freebies :jump:

Pete.

Milviz Blackbird Site

I always enjoy this post with the huge variety of aircraft. :applause: :applause:

The Milviz/Blackbird T-50 is available free to download from their site under Freebies :jump:

Pete.
I'll look again, I like this aircraft too. I didn't see it, I thought it said UNAVAILABLE but may not have looked under freebies. If it is still availableI will post the link. Thank you for the HU

I Never Knew This

I have had many comments here about discovering such unique aircraft and I always love to broaden my aviation education. That is one of these discoveries. I understand from research that the Max Holste M.H. 1521 Broussard was originally an FS2002 aircraft. Then it was updated to use in FS2004 and finally our beloved "Scrubby" updated it to FSX. Here is the link in Flightsim.com https://www.flightsim.com/files/file/186060-fs2004fsx-broussard-the-max-holste-1521 to the free version of this unusual plane. From reading here back in 2017 it was being created for P3D V4 and when AT Simulations announced that they were developing a payware version the free project was abandoned. IF you would like to try their version for 3 days for free you can mosie on down to their website here and read about and download your trial: https://atsimulations.com/broussard_trial

Here is a shot of the real one:

[FONT=&quot]
mFqsXri.jpg
[/FONT]

Vultee BT-13/BT-15-SNV-1

Today's beautiful airplane is the second phase USAAF trainer the Valiant. I didn't think I would find one other than Paul Clawson's old one but Flyaway Simulation has a download of an update of it here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/9619/fsx-vultee-bt-13/

Back a few years ago I tackled updating it as well for FS9 but never updated it for FSX not having the knowledge I do now. I may do it in the near future as a native and even, P3D V4x, we'll see if the mood strikes me There was also a USMC vet who was working on it but never completed it for FS9. A shame because he was doing a really nice job having access to a real one. It was a lot better than mine. I corresponded with him for awhile but he had moved on from flight simming into restoring some classic car I forget what it was. I wasn't able to get an answer of the differences even online between the variants.

[FONT=&quot]
viVSVzX.jpg
[/FONT]

Nothing New For Awhile

Well until today, the Avro Tutor and guess what it has a native FSX conversion which will also work in P3D V4.5: We're coming to the end of 2023 so if I don't get a new calendar from Santa, this thread may be retired. I know you all have enjoyed it as much as I have sharing and learning of so many aircraft that I never knew existed for real much less in FSX.

Here is the link to the old thread from 2019:
https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/114258-FSX-native-AVRO-Tutor

VrKUqeh.jpg

Thanks for this entertaining thread. When you don't get a new calendar, this site might give you some great ideas.....

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com you can do a search on the date and it will provide you an overview what happened around this day in aviation over the years....

Cheers,
Huub

As I couldn't find anything suitable for this date in aviation, a picture from the heavy cruiser Exeter, as it was 84 years ago the Battle of the river Plate took place.....

The model by Bavarian is available here in the library

gHPiLaR.jpg

Found By Accident

I haven't posted anything to this thread because on December 31st the calendar ran out and my new calendar though interesting is all text of "What Happened In History On This Date" style. I was checking out Flightaware for KPLN which is now finished for FSX and P3D and I came across this photo at Oakland County Intl Airport in Pontiac Michigan. I didn't know that there were any of these B-24 models left flying. A few years ago I had the opportunity to get inside the Collings Foundation B-24 Witchcraft when it visited Chicago Executive airport.

fdm70jm.jpeg

I haven't posted anything to this thread because on December 31st the calendar ran out and my new calendar though interesting is all text of "What Happened In History On This Date" style. I was checking out Flightaware for KPLN which is now finished for FSX and P3D and I came across this photo at Oakland County Intl Airport in Pontiac Michigan. I didn't know that there were any of these B-24 models left flying. A few years ago I had the opportunity to get inside the Collings Foundation B-24 Witchcraft when it visited Chicago Executive airport.

fdm70jm.jpeg

That one belongs to the Commemorative Air Force and is actually an LB-30.

The CAF's Liberator, as pictured above, is an extremely early version. It was the 18th B-24A and only the 25th Liberator built in all (of over 18,000) - it is actually one of the oldest American military aircraft built during WWII that is still flying, having been completed on May 7, 1941.

The aircraft's production originally began as a B-24A, USAAC serial no. 40-2366, but France purchased the contract/order before it was completed. When France surrendered, the order was given to the British, with the export designation LB-30A, and the aircraft was assigned the RAF serial AM927 (the US serial no. was later used on a B-24D). When accepted by the British Air Commission, it was a full combat-ready aircraft with bomb bays and the early gun positions in the nose, waist, tail, a tunnel position under the belly, and through a circular hatch in the top of the fuselage (this was all still prior to gun turrets entering the scene). In RAF service, the aircraft would have been known as a Liberator I. This being before the United State's entry into WWII when it was still a neutral country, it was one of a number of US-manufactured warplanes which were given export designations through their contracts with France and Britain. The main differences between a B-24A and an LB-30 was the gun caliber, bomb shackles, bomb sight and the British radios. When originally built, the aircraft had the early, very short, "pug" nose, and all of the other details that set the early versions apart - including different engines (with no turbos) and different cowls, compared to later production B-24's.

Contrary to stories that have been made-up about it, the aircraft was not sent to England and instead was kept in the US. It was sent to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to be used by the Eagle Nest Flight Training Center (overseen by Transcontinental & Western Airlines (later TWA)). This company was contracted by the USAAC Ferry Command which, together with the RAF Ferry Command, worked to train USAAC and RAF Liberator crews. The B-24A/LB-30A remained painted in full RAF camouflage and roundels while stationed at Albuquerque. As soon as the B-24A/LB-30A arrived it was put to immediate use but would soon sustain serious damage in a landing accident on July 24, 1941. Still being so early in the war everyone was desperate for aircraft, so AM927 was sent to Consolidated to be repaired rather than scrapped. Consolidated proposed the idea to the British Air Commission, for which they agreed, that the aircraft not only be repaired but be converted into an experimental transport version of the Liberator.

Becoming the test/proof of concept version of what would eventually become the production C-87's, the transport modifications included the removal of the bomb bay doors, the removal of all bomb structure, the removal of all of the interior bulkheads behind the pilot compartment, the running of new stringers and new skins through these areas of the fuselage, the re-routing of the cables for the tail control surfaces, the addition of seven windows on each side of the fuselage, the addition of a cargo door on the port-side fuselage, the covering-over/re-skinning of the gun positions through the fuselage and tail, an added compartment for a washroom and toilet at the rear of the aircraft (and some other interior comforts), the addition of a solid nose, and more. The aircraft would not fly again until July 12, 1942.

Once completed, the highly-modified B-24 immediately began being employed by Consolidated to transport parts from its San Diego plant to its other factories, and it would continue to be put to work by Consolidated throughout the war, fulfilling different transport and test-ship roles.

In early 1945, the aircraft's original early "pug" nose was replaced with a longer nose from a Consolidated RY-3 (the Navy transport version of the PB4Y Privateer), which was almost identical to the nose fitted to production C-87's. With parts for the early Liberators being in short supply, Consolidated also later replaced the engine QEC's with those from PBY Catalinas. Those modifications are still in-place today (though some years back, the CAF added a B-24D nose glazing to the RY-3 nose - none of which is accurate to how it originally looked as a B-24A/LB-30A).

After WWII, the aircraft was sold to Continental Can Corp., which flew it from 1948 to 1959 as an executive transport. Continental Can installed sleeping berths, reclining chairs and some other executive furnishings within the aircraft. A Mexican-based petroleum company was the next to own the aircraft and they used it to haul cargo and as an executive transport. In the late '60s it was acquired by the Confederate Air Force.

With the exception of the addition of the B-24D nose glazing and WWII military paint schemes, little else was ever done, for decades, to return the aircraft to a bomber configuration like it had been when originally manufactured by Consolidated. That was until the winter of 2006/07, when the late Gary Austin spearheaded the effort to return the aircraft to its original production B-24A/LB-30A bomber configuration. Unfortunately, due to the extensive amount of post-production modifications, some of the work that was desired to be done, such as adding back in the bomb bays & doors, port-side waist gun position and upper gun position, were deemed to to be too time-consuming/costly to perform.

For many years, the Colling's Foundation would often state that they had the world's only flying B-24, with their B-24J. This was largely due to the fact that they, along with most others, simply did not know the true history of the CAF's Liberator (many falsely believing that the designation "LB-30" was a cargo/passenger designation). With the Collings Foundation having now retired their B-24 'Witchcraft' (to soon be placed on indefinite static display, once their new museum building is completed), the CAF's Liberator is the only remaining example flying.

That's What I Love About SOH

The vast knowledge base of our members always has information to share with us all like this. Especially those ol' timers with first hand information on whatever the topic may be. Sadly most of the WWII history and even Korean War History is dying out literally. When Ed Akridge and I were researching the 461st Bomb Group, we were only able except in one case to get background on the aircrafts from the second generation like me whose family members were the WWII veterans. I wish now that I was interested in the USAAF in 1968 when I was dating a young lady who went to school with my sister whose father was a B-17 pilot. That is all I know of him not asking any questions like what Bomb Group or where he was stationed in England etc etc etc. Man am I getting old! LOL! :biggrin-new: Thanks for all that information on the LB-30.

Back