• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

More Wozza T-6 Repaint WIP

Bomber_12th

SOH-CM-2023
I've pretty much finished my from-the-ground-up base texture work for the Wozza Texan (though they could use some more refining), so I slapped some paint on it recreating one of my favorites flying today. The real-life aircraft is owned by Paul Ehlen (once owner of the P-51D "Little Horse" and current owner of P-51D "Sierra Sue II") and based out of Flying Cloud airport in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. This aircraft is painted in the same markings it had when it was operated as an instrument trainer during WWII at Craig Field, and is one of the most authentic AT-6 restorations flying today. Although an AT-6D, and not normally associated with such, the restored aircraft is fitted with a nose cone as some examples seen in photos from Craig Field during WWII also sported nose cones.

I still have to add the correct prop blur (to match the authentic period prop textures), add new landing gear strut textures, a new tail wheel tire texture (getting rid of the white text), and do some wheel well color adjustment. The textures include new bump maps to follow with the fact that many of the panel lines and rivets have been changed, and new details added to the fabric control surfaces on the tail, etc. This one is an all-over silver painted example, though there will be some bare metal ones (of varying degrees of polish) to come.

The fact that YOU are working on a repaint for this plane is one of the best news of today for me.
I can't wait to see the final result.

This one is an all-over silver painted example, though there will be some bare metal ones (of varying degrees of polish) to come.

Wow, John, I love the way you make the marked difference between painted silver and unpainted polished aluminium. This paint looks superb, and I am anxiously waiting to see how the bare metal one will be. Do you plan to offer your work as a paintkit for us? I might be using the painted aluminium as a base for some HAF repaints from the 50's. I will understand of course if you release just the paints.

View attachment 88125
View attachment 88126

Wow John! Great paintwork again. You are definitely my favourite metal painter (or aluminium dope :icon_lol:)!

Cheers,
Huub

john.....please put this one out with no markings except maybe a small N number under the horiz. stabs, and the anti glare.

Thank you all for the replies, it is quite surprising, thank you! It's good to know there is some interest! I've had so many repaint ideas bottled up I started to jot them down last night (amongst those does happen to be the "Collings Foundation" example, as well as an all-over silver example with anti-glare and n-number as you describe, John (along with a Pratt & Whitney sticker on each side of the cowl) - there will be some delivery schemes, such as USAAF factory fresh and USSR factory fresh, as well). When I got as many as 30 written down, I stopped. : )

Dimus, in regards to your question, I definitely wouldn't mind putting the layers/files together into paintkit form and making it available as well, and I will plan on doing so. It might not be to everyone's interests though, as I have kept all of the textures in their native 1024x1024 size, rather than scaling them up as others have done, as after having had several starts at making a texture base for this aircraft at that resolution, I found that certain items just were easier to deal with, and would look better over-all, when left as is.

Last night and then again tonight I pretty much completely re-did the fuselage textures over again, after having found evidence that I could have the panel lines and rivets be as accurate as I was hoping for - the details you see in the fuselage textures now are fairly darn accurate. I also spent some time on making the silver paint look less like metal (the metal 'effect' will be increased on the bare-metal examples). Everything is done on this one except for a few anomalies that I noticed when taking these latest shots - I must have without knowing changed the texture for the tail wheel strut to green (I've changed the gear wells and main landing gear strut textures), so that will need correcting back to silver, and I'd like to darken the chrome rods on the engine a bit.

These will be the last screens I post of this one until I have it uploaded (other repaints I will just upload first and then post some screens after they're available).

Magnificent!!! :applause:

I was debating on buying one of the payware versions of the T-6 but really couldn't justify it what with having this great freeware one. I just wished there were more nice repaints for it . . .

Wish granted :jump:

Back