• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

OT 303 SMLE

jeansy

No longer active
after i posted a thread a while back about hobbies, i saw there was a few shooters in there

its OT but im currently doing a OZ 1942 MK1 III* 303 refurbishment

ive still got a bit to go, working shifts dont help

37799822.jpg

pre

19394094.jpg

after 3 days of sanding and 2 days of soaking and cleaning the metal work

85082473.jpg

today after 13hrs doing the blu everything has been done including every screw etc etc and reassembled this evening and first coats of linseed oil

Nice, I have a 1942 Savage made lend-lease Enfield No4 MkI, marked US PROPERTY. Beautifully made rifles, one of these days I'll actually find the time to go shoot the darn thing!

Gorgeous weapon. I have a Lee Enfield from the 40's but unfortunately it is a hunting rifle, not the military one. Everything from the chamber back is the same, but forward it looks more like a common rifle. I will have to dig up some pics or take some more.

Nice pics. I've got a WWII Japanese Nambu type 14 pistol. Actually, according to the serial number, it's from 1939, so I'm not sure if that counts as WWII vintage for Japan. Nice little pistol, though.

Wish we could own them here, both my great grandfather in ww1 and my grandfather in ww2 used these, always had a soft spot for the "Short Magazine Lee Enfield" here!

Nice rifle. I have one of these. It's an Ishapore Enfield in .308, an Indian Army weapon.

wow im surprised there was some interest

nice pics 2

Cirrus from that pic you have, sorry mate its not a carbine, the no.5 were the only carbines and came out late ww2,

BK1607.jpg

ugly SMLEs that only a mother can love

just looking from that pic, its a no1 MK something mk1 to mkIII*

if you can get a close up of the receiver very good change i can ID it but a quick glance and the date you posted i say MKIII or a MKIII*

if the rear blade sight has a windage dial as well as elevation its a MKIII otherwise if it hasnt, and only has elevation its a MKIII*

I've had a few S.M.L.E's , although I prefer the No4 ( I used to have a No4 T , sniper until a few years ago).
The best S.M.L.E I had was a 1929 No1 Mk III* made at the Lithgow Small-arms factory (West of Sydney) This would have been one of the last made before those made in WW2.
It was stocked in Queensland Maple, had a heavy target barrel and a target rear sight. I sold it back in 1984 and have regretted that ever since.

One of the best books on Lee-Enfields was 'The British Service Lee' by Ian Skennerton but I'm not sure if it is still available.

my smle works good the safety is needing tighting up after shooting it ever time its used

the safety is weird its like toggle on side

----------my smle ------------------
smle & springfield 1884 45-70 trapdoor
springfieldandenfield.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
smle & mosin nagant m91\30
mosinenfield.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after i posted a thread a while back about hobbies, i saw there was a few shooters in there

its OT but im currently doing a OZ 1942 MK1 III* 303 refurbishment

ive still got a bit to go, working shifts dont help

pre

after 3 days of sanding and 2 days of soaking and cleaning the metal work

today after 13hrs doing the blu everything has been done including every screw etc etc and reassembled this evening and first coats of linseed oil

Nice! Gonna shoot one (Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I) tomorrow, at our gun-range.

Here are mine (both welded and disabled):

View attachment 32982View attachment 32983

In a few months i will be able to purchase a firing one (gun laws are very strict here). Lucky me, my gun-club has i nice example for sale when i can apply for a permit.

Going off-topic in an off-topic thread; I've always wanted a Brown Bess, flintlock or percussion and disabled but I've no idea where to go to look. Google was not very helpful.

As long as we are having a little OT discussion........:jump:
Matt, I trust your SMLE is a pukka "Made in Australia" model?
Rather than go down the Mk.IV route Lithgow did a first class job of improving the Mk.III, personally I do not like the Mk.IV in any shape or form and the Mk.V was just a pig of a weapon.
I'd lay even money that the 'Enfield Carbine' in Cirrus N210MS's collection dates from around 1907 or thereabouts, I doubt many ever saw service in WW.I.
Nice restoration BTW.

Going off-topic in an off-topic thread; I've always wanted a Brown Bess, flintlock or percussion and disabled but I've no idea where to go to look. Google was not very helpful.

Here ya go Roger: http://www.amazon.com/1700s-Revolutionary-Flintlock-Musket-Replica/dp/B000SEXRDA

It's not an exact replica though if you compare it with pictures of real ones, but it close enough for a wall hanger I guess. I just took a quick look I'm sure there are better examples out there though.

Here's a link with some closeups of the same gun: http://cgi.ebay.com/BROWN-BESS-REVO...W-BAYONET-/320571018932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Back