• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Proxy abusers, beware

Marlin

Charter Member
October 09, 2008

New Satellite Imagery Galore Coming

Those of you regularly reading this blog, already know there is a wave of new satellite imagery coming to Google Earth (and other mapping tools) in the coming months. Both DigitalGlobe and GeoEye have launched new satellites in the last year, and more satellites are going up soon. Google has an exclusive contract for online use from the new GeoEye satellite. And, the first image from the GeoEye satellite has just been released, of Kutztown University in Pennsylvania. This image probably won't find its way into Google Earth for several weeks, but they wanted to show off the new image capability. Click on the thumbnail to the right to see a larger version. The new GeoEye satellite can capture up to 0.41 meters per pixel resolution, but because of US laws can only release up to 0.5 m/pixel imagery to Google (the best stuff is for the intelligence agencies and military). The imagery is essentially black and white, but they process the photos with color from other imagery to add color. You can see this imagery is very nice. Story on new GeoEye imagery via CNET.
Google for the past three years had a similar exclusive contract with DigitalGlobe - where only Google could use DigitalGlobe imagery online. However, their renewed contract was no longer exclusive, and Microsoft has announced they will now be using DigitalGlobe imagery on Virtual Earth. This makes it possible for Microsoft to have much more global imagery than they currently have in Virtual Earth (although, nothing Google doesn't already have). While we're talking about Microsoft, I just found out they also added stars in the background of Virtual Earth 3D. Google Earth has had real stars from the beginning, but the new Virtual Earth ones have color and size (based on brightness) - which I think is better looking than Google Earth's stars (and something I've suggested to Google for years).

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/10/new_satellite_imagery_galore_coming.html

I don't understand the title's connection to the post? Still, I can't help but imagine this is what we will see out of FSx in about ten years for scenery.

Real time scenery. :d

I don't understand the title's connection to the post? Still, I can't help but imagine this is what we will see out of FSx in about ten years for scenery. Real time scenery. :d
Same here jmig. . .after reading the post I wasn't sure where the "beware" part came in, lol.

I think the 'beware' means, if you are a Proxy addict, the really potent stuff is about to arrive on the market soon.

Hello, my name is Bill and I am a photo scenery ADDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d :isadizzy:

Bill

Beware, because if you really like photo scenery you might have to get THIS 4TB hard drive to fit in all those places you like to fly. That might fit the USA and a couple of favorite other spots to fly!!

No big deal, its only $1,108 hehe:costumes:

So Bill and Falcon, how much of the world could you fit on that hard drive?

4 Terrabytes 'just' might do it.

But then I'll need 2 more for Europe and Canada and misc locations.. :d

Dang, 4T-HD's are out?? How about an 8-core 'Gigawatt' MB?

Bill

Hi...My name is harleyman and I don't abuse Tile Proxy..But I have friends that do and need help...:costumes::costumes:

Wow! Pretty good. I have just compared Google Earth against the photo above... Looks like the GE images are a bit older - there seems to have been a fair amount of money flowing into the Kutztown stadium.

And of course the GE images are probably late summer compared to a verdant spring shot in the new image.

I am beginning to think that Google uses seasonal photos. If its so, it might be possible to save entire scenery of area's that have snow and save them (copy them) to a seperate folder, then activate that in Addon Scenery when that particular season of that particular land is happening.

I would like to do that with Colorado. :d

Bill

Like this Bill.

Headed towards Telluride

(I hope you don't mind the quick and dirty photochop:costumes:)

Edit: I knew that was Ouray right off the bat. Those steep as* switchbacks coming down the hill gave it away. Silverton is a way cool little town too!

Good stuff dude and I hope you keep posting your cool shots, thanks again!

Thanks Marlin.

Hey, where is Silverton? I couldnt find it. I'll see if I can find it in my Atlas and find it that way. I was trying to trace the railroad tracks there and didnt find it.

Bill

In your 4th posted shot above, you are flying away from Silverton and are about 6 miles NNW away :icon_lol::173go1:

In the picture below you are where the "Untitled Placemark" is.
The black lines are the traintracks.

Edit: 35 N of the Durango glider airport

Back