• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

*Reason For SOH Slow Down Discovered/Explained*

Panther_99FS

Retired SOH Administrator
A 1GB+ file has been made available for our fellow CFS-3 simmers/sister sub-forum and is hosted at a SOH website.

Over 400 gigs alone have been used by this file this month so we had to limit the bandwidth for this file.

Our logs show as many as 20 people downloading this file at a time and it was sucking us dry. Unfortunately this had a snowball effect and caused the threads and posts tables to become corrupt and backups and repairs just kept cycling until the database and site crashed.

This means all our backups are corrupt and useless, bottom line is there is a 90% chance the two tables can not be restored.

The massive file will be left on the server for two weeks then deleted, this gives the CFS3 people time to setup an DVD exchange program.

Unfortunately this happened and was unavoidable.

I'm glad the problem was findable and fixable. It's too bad that the back-ups are gone, but I'm sure most of the important info will be reposted anyway. The site is really ripping along now. Thanks! :applause:

I just wanna know what the big file was now...

It's been a long time since I fired up CFS3 - do I have a good reason to now? :d

Ian P.

So let me get this straight:

The CFS3 forum hosts a 1GB file and download activity on this file slows down the entire site due to bandwidth allotment which in turn has a domino effect that crashes the forums and loses all the data?

Who allowed this to happen?

Isn't there a file size limit in place? Is there no "bandwidth exceeded" fail safe that trips to prevent a crash?

just curious here....

-G-

So sorry to hear about the bad news Panther.
I usually come here to get some screenshots to work them out as aviation art
for all you aviation fans.
Too bad they all went "kaput" and are gone, but no fear, I have saved alot of them so I can later work them out into some artsy scenes for everybody. I still offer them for free to whomever wants them.
You usually find me at screenshotworld.com.
Keep up the good work , and the fun, guys and gals. Things will be fixed soon. This forum has the best and friendly people working out the problem. :ernae:

Cheers
MAX

Finally! That missing "p" in my username has been driving me nuts for years. I didn't want to create a new user acct because I'd lose all of my old posts & post count. You want a silver lining? There you go. :costumes:

There's no finger pointing going on.

1) The problem has been resolved and fixed.

2) Corrective measures have been implemented to help ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I'm not fingerpointing....just wondering how it happened. And to verify my summation is correct.

-G-

I'm not fingerpointing....just wondering how it happened. And to verify my summation is correct.

-G-

The problems are is not really caused by the actual file size. They were caused by the fact that the file is downloaded constantly by 20+ members for over 3 days. We were trying to push 200Mbps through a 100Mbps hole and the servers got overloaded.

As Panther and I were both not directly involved we don't know the answers on your questions. For normal files there is a size limit. I guess because this is an major upgrade like OFF and MAW an exception was made. But as said this is only guessing and to be honest I really don't care. There is nobody guilty or anything. When the people involved had foreseen the problems they wouldn't have done it.

Obviously an error has been made and we have all learned a lot this weekend. I'm convinced this mistake won't happen again. Nevertheless, as we are all humans, I'm convinced we will make other mistakes in the future.

Huub

So let me get this straight:

The CFS3 forum hosts a 1GB file and download activity on this file slows down the entire site due to bandwidth allotment which in turn has a domino effect that crashes the forums and loses all the data?

Who allowed this to happen?

Isn't there a file size limit in place? Is there no "bandwidth exceeded" fail safe that trips to prevent a crash?

just curious here....

-G-
let me try to explain
its not the cfs3 forum its another site that we host
i myself have an ftp site here
i have a cap on size but in theory i could upload a 1 gig file
but if 300 people downloaded it
it would do the same
it was not one person responsible
just an oversight on lots of people
when bandwidth runs out it does just that
or zaps everything else
you can take that or leave it
thats how it is
H

Moe,
If ya' wasn't too busy eatin, ya' woulda caught the whole thing before you pressed the "accept" button....:d

Yall got it all wrong. Merc Air did it in an attempt to hold the forums for ransom. Unfortunately Ickie caught on to us and all we can now say is "Curses, foiled again!" ;)

Yall got it all wrong. Merc Air did it in an attempt to hold the forums for ransom. Unfortunately Ickie caught on to us and all we can now say is "Curses, foiled again!" ;)
but i told you i would let you have a Squadron of defiants
and some gasoline
hmmm ya just cannot make a responsible offer these days
its just not fair:banghead:
H

Back