Signal Corps #1, Wright Military Flyer addon

Turbinee

Members +
Hi everyone,

Following up on my introduction, here is a first look at the Wright Military Flyer I am building for MSFS2020. It is based on the original Signal Corps #1 flyer in the Smithsonian Institution.

I’m a big fan of low and slow flying to take in the scenery, and I have always been fascinated by the intricate mechanics and looks of early aviation. That is why I took on this project - I wanted something that could soar slowly over the landscape below, that just wasn't available.

Here are a few unedited beauty shots from the sim:

Screenshot 2026-08-26 224119.png
Screenshot 2026-08-26 211928.png
Screenshot 2026-08-26 221025.png

I am very happy with how the 3D modeling and materials have come together, and I didn’t want to use the default MSFS config files, or templates for the engine, prop, and flight tuning. To avoid having this machine fly like a standard Cessna, I wrote my own custom engine logic, which I believe aligns closely with the Wright Military Flyer flight experience.

Here are a few of the custom systems running in the build:

Custom engine & prop logic: Hand-cranked starts. The engine idles at a historically accurate 450 RPM, which drives the chain-linked propellers at ~135 RPM.

Custom Wwise Sound, mechanical sounds of the early engine, chain drives, and wooden propellers.

All engine animations and wing warping.

The valve catch (compression release): You must manage the exhaust valves to build compression for startup, and use the release lever to kill the combustion just before touching down on landing.

No wheel brakes: Once the engine is idling, the thrust will cause the aircraft to begin creeping forward on the tarmac, so you have to be ready to steer!

Flight dynamics: You must hold forward stick pressure on the canards during the takeoff roll to counter the pitch-up torque from the engine, otherwise you will drag the rear skids.

Landing gear: Modeled the wheeled landing gear configuration used for the military deplyment, allowing for independent takeoffs and landings without needing a launch rail and catapult system.

The weighted red rope: Included as a functional primitive attitude indicator that reacts to the relative wind.

I am currently fine-tuning the flight model and systems before release. As this is my first time developing an aircraft for MSFS, please don't judge too harshly! :) I’d love to hear your thoughts on the shots above, and if any of the historical aviation experts here spot a detail I should tweak or I’ve missed, please share.

I am finishing up the hand held barometer/alltitude instrument and box compass used on the army trial flights, and these will be included as well.

Cheers,

George
 
Hi Tom, No I haven't posted it anywhere else. To be honest this is what i struggle the most with - figuring out how to proceed once the project is done. I have registered with the Microsoft Marketplace Partner program 10 mo ago, but haven't heard from them. I see the other stores have partner programs, but all seem to expect well established developers. Do you think posting on the MSFS forums is my next step? Any guidance is welcome!
 
As far as how to get into the Marketplace, I can only advise messaging someone on staff at the the MS forum. I was just asking if you had posted there to see how much interest you might get - there's a much broader audience there. Granted, there's a smaller percentage of users there that are interested in the earlier planes, but you never know.
 
Hi J.

Yes trust is totally adjustable and it plays in the overall prop visual animation, however the default asobo propeller template cannot handle such a narrow rpm band and low speed, and will not play the changes from static/low/high prop rotation properly.

The Wright engines from this period had idle at 450 and max rpm at 1300 - 1400rpm, while the props spun at 425rpm at max engine rpm. This is a reduction ratio of approximately 3.29:1 so at engine idle the props will spin at approximately 2 revs per second, which is absolutely visible for the naked eye.

If you check the 1903 Wright Flyer included in MSFS2020 you can see that their model's props spool up and spin incredibly fast, which is just not accurate, and it is caused by Asobo using the default propeller template.

Generally speaking throughout the project I found that the default templates will expect a considerably more modern airplane/engine architecture.

I am traveling this week, but when I get back home I will try to make a video to show the Military Flyer prop animation I made and the Asobo Wright Flyer prop animation side by side, you will see very clearly the problem with the default prop template.
 
Tom, yes I was also thinking much bigger crowd in the official MSFS forum, but as I am not very familiar with the forum structure and prerequisites and see their guide on who can post:

"1. When to Post​

  • New addons: For newly-developed addons, you may only post an announcement in this category when your addon is available for the public to download or purchase. An addon in a public beta stage is acceptable.
  • Addon updates: You may post a reply to an existing announcement topic if you have any news about your addon, or when your addon has been updated"
My project is not in final public beta yet or published already, so I am not certain I will be allowed to post there at all, unless I am mistaking which is also possible 🙂

Also to be honest to me it feels as SOH is a better place to start, even if the reach is more limited, for now at least.

However I plan to write in the MSFS forum once I near completion and inquire if I can get help or review of my application for the marketplace program. Maybe they will notice me then, once I have a totally polished product I can share. I wanted to try the other storefronts so if MSFS are stubborn I can at least get the project out, and then apply again.

I am looking at the UK and German stores, right now I see that SimMarket requires VAT registration for solo developers, which is really unfortunate. In my country being VAT registered means at the least 80-100 euro for accountant per month, so you see it doesn't make any sense on a niche product and expected volume like mine. Still looking and writing emails, but it seems tough
 
You should be able to post a "preview" in the general discussion section. The New Release section is (I think) reserved for verified developers.
 
Thanks for pointing me to the proper forum area, I found it. For some reason I find the MSFS forum confusing.
 
Thanks for pointing me to the proper forum area, I found it. For some reason I find the MSFS forum confusing.
Yeah, the Discourse platform is a bit different from standard forums, but once you get used to it, it's pretty nice.
 
Well just posted, and my pants are shaking 🤣. Had to read bunch of warnings, suggestions, recommendations before hand, still definitely not sure if it will fly or be flagged. Learning never stops.

Anyways, I got new video card to pull up the visuals, and also am finishing up the only two instruments (if you don't count the red attitude indicator string) the compass and barometer. Should have visuals for that next week as well.
 
I finished the instruments; in total a barometer/altimeter and a compass:ROFLMAO:
I made a stow box that has them both next to the passenger seat. When in use the box takes approximately the place where would it have been if it was held in hand. There is only a single place where I've seen the Wright brothers using probably a barometer mounted to one of the vertical wing supports, but it would be uncomfortable to use in the sim. Also there are sources online that say the passanger had strapped to his legs the barometer and compass, which as I have watched the Army trial flight doesnt add up. That is why I chose to just make a compass box with a barometer fixed to it.
wright_military_flyer_engine_management_02.jpgwright_military_flyer_engine_management_03.jpgwright_military_flyer_engine_management_05.jpg

And this is a screengrab from the Army trial video, you can see the barometer in the circle
Screenshot 2026-09-15 190904.png

What do you think, is my sollution believable?
 
Hi all,

I installed MSFS 2024 yesterday to test out the package in the new sim. The great news is that all of the custom prop and engine logic seems to translate perfectly. I took it for a few test flights, and despite my joystick being broken right now, the aircraft still flies great!

Overall, this is a very promising start, as I was worried that custom templates might run into issues in the new simulator. I still need to do more testing for a confirmation that everything works as it should.

Here are some screenshots from MSFS 2024 :)

Wright_Military_FLyer_MSFS2024_01.jpg
Wright_Military_FLyer_MSFS2024_02.jpg
Wright_Military_FLyer_MSFS2024_03.jpg
 
MSFS2024 over NAS North Island KNZY These pics remind me of an old Twilight Zone episode: (The Last Flight Feb 1960)
Flight Lieutenant William Terrance Decker, Royal Flying Corps, returning from a patrol somewhere over France in his 1917 Nieuport. The year is 1917. The problem is that the lieutenant is hopelessly lost. Lieutenant Decker will soon discover that a man can be lost not only in terms of maps and miles, but also in time—and time in this case can be measured in eternities.
Airborne1.jpgAirbrne.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top