• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

So I've decided to do this Q6600 overclock

Getting that cooler to seat is difficult. I know it took me several attempts to get all four push locks to snap in, but once they did the cooler did not move.

No kidding, that was the only troublesome part of the install. I mean, it all went without any problems mind you but getting those stupid pushpins to seat took a lot more pushing than I expected. I thought I went in prepared too as I'd read comments from various people saying how hard they were to get in there, but even knowing that in advance I was surprised how much force it took. At first I was worried about cracking my motherboard in half, but I got 'er in there.

I got the first two (opposite corners) seated ok, and the third after more pushing leaving the troublesome fourth which was located in a very hard to reach corner. I ended up using a hunting knife of all things, which I set into the top of the pin and got some more leverage with that. I just gave it gradual force to make sure it wasn't going to slip or cut the pin, until it finally clicked into place.

I recommend everyone add a hunting knife to your collection of computer tools. :)

Question, as per that other q6600 overclock post (the one about doing it on stock cooling, which I'm not). Stansdds posted his BIOS settings as:

How wise or unwise would it be to stick those into my set up and see how it goes? I know, likely a horrible idea but there we are and at least I bring it up here instead of just doing it. :) I've found some how-to's on OC'ing the Q6600 and am apt to just pick the one that sounds the most straight forward and try following that along.

I wish I could just get Txnetcop (or one of the other gurus) over to my house for an evening, that would be good. :p

I've had a look into my BIOS and I must admit I cannot really find the equivalent names in my Asus bios. For example I have not found what corresponds to CPU Host frequency in my BIOS, and when it comes to the voltages there are two of them which are related to the CPU...

The trick is that after you turn all 4 legs in , you need to back them out just about a 1/16 or so and the legs pop right doen and then lock

I've had a look into my BIOS and I must admit I cannot really find the equivalent names in my Asus bios. For example I have not found what corresponds to CPU Host frequency in my BIOS, and when it comes to the voltages there are two of them which are related to the CPU...

Your Deluxe bios should be laid out the same as my Plus bios, there may be small differences but probaly not many.
Dont forget I'm running an E8400 not a Q6600

Datter,s bios refers to the FSB as 400 but the true FSB is 400x4 so its really 1600. The Asus FSB just refers to the true FSB.
I prefer the way Asus dous it as you can tune it more finely, with the x4 method if you increse the FSB by 1 your actually incresing it by 4.

Anyway back to your bios.
First go to "Extreme Tweaking" and set "AI Tuning" to "[Manual]".

Then go to "FSB & Memory Config"
Set "FSB - Memory Clock Mode" to " [Unlinked]" if you dont do this any increase of the FSB will also overclock the memory.
leave "FSB - Memory Ratio" set to "[Auto]"
"FSB - (QDR), MHz" is where you set your desiered FSB, [1600] should give you 3.6GB but its better to work your way up in steps testing for stability and heat as you go.
Leave "MEM (DDR), MHz" set to "[800] if you have 800 MHz memory.

For the voltage the one your looking for is in "Over Voltage" :)
"VCore Voltage", I leave mine set to "[Auto]"
In fact the only one I set manualy in mine is "Memory Voltage" which for my memory is "[2.100v]", set yours to whatever your memory manufacturer recomends.

If you go to "Power", "Hardware Monitor", Voltage Monitor" you will be able to see what the auto setting for your VCore is doing, mine sits at 1.44v and has been fine like that for the last year.

This is the bit I'm trying to sort out at the moment. I'm running OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 (1150MHz DDR2) Reaper HPC Edition (2x 1gb) so I'm thinking I'll need to change that to something higher than 800mhz?

In heavy reading mode all day today and will attempt to get this underway this evening. Very helpful info up there, thanks.

EDIT:

I got this advice elsewhere, does it make sense? Seems to.

Depending on the VID of your chip, you should be able to hit 3.4GHz or above. Shoot for 3.4GHz (425MHz x 8) w/ a 4:5 DRAM Frequency (266/667 NB strap), which will put your RAM at 1062MHz. Work your way up from there, with a final goal of 3.6GHz or above as your final clock. 450MHz x 8 = 3.6GHz, w/ a 4:5 ratio would put your RAM at 1125MHz. Keep the Vcore at 1.5v or below, and no less than 20C to TJunction Max.

Edit: For a clock of 3.6GHz you could also try 400MHz x 9 w/ a 2:3 divider, which would put your RAM at 1200MHz... should be an easy task w/ only 2GB installed.

At first I would leave your ram set at default...Those settings are usually on a sticker on the side of the ram...

Like 5-5-518 Like that..

Then do your OC...There is a good chance your ram at stock speeds will be fine as they are...

So Txnetcop says 1.45v... well, starting with 1.4v is a good place for the v to be. Is this a level that can be run on a daily use computer that's on pretty much 24/7, though idle for maybe 80% of that time aside from file transfers and whatnot? I guess the main thing would be the temps huh? Is it right that as long as my temps are reasonable, I could run this sort of thing daily use wise?

Once you do the OC, and have it stable(by getting voltages correct) then you check the temps...As long as the temps hold good and the rig does not CTD, it will run like that wide open 24/7 if you are willing to quit sleeping....

This isn't going so well. I oc'd to a meager 2.7, but on reboot it failed the post. Second reboot started ok, and temps were of course fine. I can't get it to pass the POST on anything higher and ended up chickening out and resetting factory defaults. Still looking into it.

Not bad for a first attempt...

go post on the forums of the link I dent you in the intel area...tell them what settings you have and ask for advice,, They will help you...

HAH, got 3ghz. :)

Just booted in so things may still crap out on me, but idle temps on the four cores are between 36 and 43.

I changed my FSB to 333 (well, the number entered is x4 on my bios) and left voltages to auto. No boot. So I went back and changed vcore to 1.4 and got partial boot... as in it passed the POST, but froze on loading windows. I then went in and set my memory voltage to 2.1, which is what my mem needs apparently.... and here I am. I left the memroy timings to auto this time. The first time I tried this I set them to 5-5-5-18, but got nowhere.

EDIT: and yeah, going to go post there now and see what they say

Datter I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff right now, but if you can hold on I will get with ya on this by mid week. You can easily OC to 3.6 and FSX runs just great there.
Ted

Get Down Datter....I knew you could do it.........:woot::woot:

Next you will be like most OCers and continue to push for more...

You will see a noticible improvement in FSX from 2.4 to 3.0 for sure....:applause:

BTW Great temps...Just remember they need checked undel load too later....

Datter I'm up to my eyeballs in stuff right now, but if you can hold on I will get with ya on this by mid week. You can easily OC to 3.6 and FSX runs just great there.
Ted

Hey, I'd appreciate any help at all but trust me when I say I know how life can be. I can't even find my eyeballs at some points, so no worries. I'd love to pick your brain about this stuff, but only as your schedule allows and I'm always around here so, just as you can find the time.

Harleyman said:
et Down Datter....I knew you could do it.........:woot::woot:

Next you will be like most OCers and continue to push for more...

You will see a noticible improvement in FSX from 2.4 to 3.0 for sure....:applause:

BTW Great temps...Just remember they need checked undel load too later....

Yes, I'm impressed and I must admit thought I'd do some "load testing" by flying for awhile. Noticeable difference from 2.4 to 3.0 for sure, smoother... absolutely no blurries, higher FPS. Just "better". :) That said, you're right I want MORE!! lol

If I can hit 3.4 even I'll be thrilled. That said, it seems I need 1.45v on the vcore to get to 3.0ghz so and after flying around awhile I find my temps at max are hitting maybe 64deg or so, which is fine though I told myself in advance I'd not let 'em get any higher than 65deg.

Not sure how to go about pushing past this 3.0ghz level. I thought I might be able to clock the FSB to get me to 3.4 without changing the vcore volts so I tried that and was horrified to find that although the system got past the POST, it just sat at the BIOS logo screen. I could see the words "press delete to enter BIOS" but it was hung there. I must have restarted the system a dozen times just hoping it would sort itself out somehow, but it always hung there and wouldn't let me into the BIOS. Now I know a simple clearing of the CMOS would reset it and get me back in, but I was horrified because on looking at my mobo I find the jumper I need to switch to clear the CMOS is hidden behind one of my two video cards. In order to clear it I was looking at moving some wiring that was in front of the card, then pulling the card... swapping the jumper... replacing the card... starting up and resetting the BIOS... then pulling the card... swapping the jumper etc etc. Holy I was not happy about that.

I resigned myself to it though, and started pulling the box out from it's hiding spot by my desk and thought on a whim, let's hit the on/off ONE more time and if Jesus Christ himself had walked in and offered me a ham sandwich I wouldn't have been any more surprised. The damn thing booted and I got into my BIOS without having to do all that CMOS pain. WOO. HOO.

That did however scare me a bit about pushing farther as I really don't want to have to go through all that jumper crap. So, until I find some decent advice to get a noob overclocker up to speed I think I'll sit at 3.0ghz provided it comes off as stable (which I think it will).

Thanks for the encouragement and help thus far, hopefully I can take this a bit farther with some guidance down the road. :)

Quick tip: to clear the CMOS after a failed boot you should just need to press and keep the "Insert" key held down defore pressing the power button.

Your Deluxe bios should be laid out the same as my Plus bios, there may be small differences but probaly not many.
Dont forget I'm running an E8400 not a Q6600

Datter,s bios refers to the FSB as 400 but the true FSB is 400x4 so its really 1600. The Asus FSB just refers to the true FSB.
I prefer the way Asus dous it as you can tune it more finely, with the x4 method if you increse the FSB by 1 your actually incresing it by 4.

Anyway back to your bios.
First go to "Extreme Tweaking" and set "AI Tuning" to "[Manual]".

Then go to "FSB & Memory Config"
Set "FSB - Memory Clock Mode" to " [Unlinked]" if you dont do this any increase of the FSB will also overclock the memory.
leave "FSB - Memory Ratio" set to "[Auto]"
"FSB - (QDR), MHz" is where you set your desiered FSB, [1600] should give you 3.6GB but its better to work your way up in steps testing for stability and heat as you go.

For the voltage the one your looking for is in "Over Voltage" :)
"VCore Voltage", I leave mine set to "[Auto]"
In fact the only one I set manualy in mine is "Memory Voltage" which for my memory is "[2.100v]", set yours to whatever your memory manufacturer recomends.

If you go to "Power", "Hardware Monitor", Voltage Monitor" you will be able to see what the auto setting for your VCore is doing, mine sits at 1.44v and has been fine like that for the last year.

Thanks a lot for those recommendations Dangerous_Beans.
I think I have exactely the same motherboard as you have, a P5N32 E SLI Plus. The true FSB was the problem, mine was at 1066 by default, tried pushing it at 1400 for a test but the computer would not start anymore. I guess it was due to the other settings, like the "linked" memory. I'll have another try tonight ! :ernae:

Quick tip: to clear the CMOS after a failed boot you should just need to press and keep the "Insert" key held down defore pressing the power button.

That is the sort of info I really wanted to hear. Thanks VERY much, though hopefully it won't be needed.

I'd absorbed so much info on this it never occurred to me to try leaving the vcore at auto. Maybe I'll give that a shot tonight and see what happens. With less fear of having to pull the system apart to reset the bios I am a bit more brave. I assume it might require a non-USB keyboard if I have to clear it this way though, but I have one of those kicking around so I ought to be good.

Still not sure why it's taking me 1.45v manually set to get to 3.0ghz, maybe auto will work some magic.

Hey Datter, Dangerous Beans just gave you the keys to the kingdom that I was gonna give. That will get you where you want to be. You can overclock the Q6600 all the way up to 1.7 which I have done but you have to make sure it is in a very cool environment. 1.45 should get you to 3.5 or 3.6 following Dangerous Beans advice. That seems to be where FSX likes to run. Just check your temps regularly for a while.
Ted

Back