• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

about Ernst Udet

Thanks for the info, Lukasz. I’m on my way to the site.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Robert, so glad to see the D.III is still on your production line!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Randy, looking forward to your D.III too. I sent Robby some info on the plane, if you want me to send it to you as well just let me know. And if you need a beta tester… I was tester for the OFF Phase 2 planes.

Hans - Windsock have a new release which will help me move foirward on other aircraft in my production line. - Junkers Monoplanes At War http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/stop.html It's great to see this released early.

Hey Anna,

If you do decide to make a plane, I hope you have extreme fun at it. It is for me and others. Building never before done details into a plane, making rib molding into the wings, making a special compass for the panel is really quite fun...

We are all here to help you as well...

Good luck on your decision and your adventure if you choose to go on it.

Bill

Herr Lionheart, thank you for your support. I hope succeed, but I still have the same problems with the file "dds" (it is an exemple) and the full understanding of File "aircraft". Very cordially , Anna

Anna,

DDS is just a graphic format introduced widely in the FSX. Basically, the DDS files have to be rotated 180 degrees and flipped horizontally to display properly in the FSX. Iam using Photoshop plugin done by Nvidia which allows to export the PSD file to DDS. Also, the IMagetool.exe supplied in the FSX SDK has tons of options.

While working with the raw model, you can easily use the BMP or TGA. BMP's will also work in the FSX model and they dont need to be rotated or flipped.

All the best,
Lucas

Hi Anna, do you want to do the painting or actually make a 3D model for FSX.

If you want to do a new 'skin' for a model, you would ideally need a 'paintkit' that is often provided with a model.

The paintkit is usually in Photoshop PSD format. You do your paint on this and then convert the results to dds / dxt5 format with either the 'imagetool' from FSX SDK or by using the nVidia plugins for Photoshop.

I use Corel Photopaint and Corel Draw - the software is a lot cheaper and just as good.

Funny you should mention the Adolf Galland paint - I did that one a couple of years back... for a Christen Eagle of all things :icon_lol: and also for the Real Air SF 260.

Hey CBris,
You speak German don't you...:ques: If so, perhaps could you help out Anna in German :ques:

Klar doch - wird gemacht.

Anna, if you need help, feel free to ask. Either by PM or here...

Anna,

Here are some basic notes on working with DDS textures.

If you have Adobe Photoshop, download the freeware tools from nVidia. Then you can compile to DDS format.

Always save to either;
* 8.8.8.8 ARGB
or ....
* 1.5.5.5 ARGB

That is the two formats that work with FSX. 1.5.5.5 is the DXT5 format, and 8.8.8.8 is 32bit high resolution format.

When 'flipping' the DDS texture (from a paint kit source) you can do it more easily by just 'Flipping Vertical' That way, you are not flipping it twice. Just remember, 'flip vertical' and that part is done.

If you are redoing an 'existing' DDS from a texture folder, you shouldnt need to flip the texture vertical again, as its already vertical (or rather upside down).

Aircraft Config Files are a 'mystery art' that few people can do. If you change 'one' setting, you effect 3 to 5 or more other settings. If you boost high end speed by lessening drag, then your plane will not want to slow down on approaches, etc. Its a big headache. But some love to 'adjust' and tune their planes, and that is where to do it, so if you are into that, just realise that its 'alot' of work. I have been doing them for years and they still take me ages to create a tuned airfile set. I will sometimes create new sets (from the stock templates) over and over, redoing them each time and getting diff results always....

Ich wuste mein Deutsch besser warren.. Viel Jahren das ich es gesprechen habe.. arrghh....

Bill

viele danke Herr Lionheart über DDS format . Now , me , I must write English perfectly. (speaking, it is good/Nice) . Mit besten Grüßen , Anna

Hey Anna,

Here are some aircraft 'source' files in Gmax and FSDS formats.

If you are planning to make a plane, check out how some are already made. Some of these are not mapped and extremely basic, some are almost finished.

http://www.simviation.com/adoptfsc.htm

There are more models in 'source' layout at FreeFlightDesign.com

If you install Gmax, download a couple of those and open them up in Gmax and check out how they are done.

Note that there are some interesting Luftwaffe birds in that Simviation link.

Bill

My next project after the Snipe is now the Fokker D.VII (I started yesterday) .... no doubt someone may create a skin of Ernst Udet's D.VII (I may do it myself... we'll see.) http://images.google.com.au/images?q=fokker%20d.vii%2C%20udet&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Edit: As to the SSW D.III/D.VI I don't have a clear picture/drawing of the control grip on that aircraft. Most of the interior pics I have of the SSW are somewhat murky. The museum aircraft is not typical of the actual production aircraft. It's otherwise ready to proceed also.

Robert, do you have Windsock Datafile 29? There are some (indeed murky) photos of the cockpit with control stick in there. To me the stick looks like the ones I have seen in other planes as well. If you don’t have these pics let me know.

Robert, do you have Windsock Datafile 29? There are some (indeed murky) photos of the cockpit with control stick in there. To me the stick looks like the ones I have seen in other planes as well. If you don’t have these pics let me know.

Thanks Hans. Yes I do have WS DF 29. I also have the profile pub on the SSW DIII/IV I think they're a bit clearer. I'll have a look for that. I have seen similar on some Dr.I control sricks.

Back