• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Commander 685 Native P3D conversion

expat

Charter Member
Wondering if this was ever finished? I have tried converting it with MCX but having a few issues with the prop animation and glass and spinner reflections. VC came out perfectly and exterior model looks great. Need someone who knows how to use the MCX Materials Editor better than me!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/102465-Commander-685-Native-P3D-conversion

KXAGMPr.png

sg0P6hH.png

Thanks Dan. That was my next plan - to look at Tom G's tutorial. Maybe we can figure this out together.
Cheers.

Well, I got stuck pretty quickly. Using Tom's tutorial there are no Prop Variable in the set conditions variable box for the imported FS9 model.

Reading the tutorial's many steps to configure prop animations and appearance, this looks way too over my head and time consuming. I have been lucky before converting other models - mainly jets - making only a few needed and successful adjustments in the hierarchy editor to e.g. control surface positions, etc. but this looks beyond my ability.

MCX is quite finicky when it comes to conversions from either FS9, FSX or P3D. I prefer conversions to P3D as I've always had issues converting to FSX. With that being said, I had my go at converting the AC685 to P3DV4 native with PBR materials and here are my results. This was done in only a few hours and everything is there as it should be, including VC.
2022-8-3_14-12-53-855.jpg2022-8-3_14-12-21-954.jpg

MCX is quite finicky when it comes to conversions from either FS9, FSX or P3D. I prefer conversions to P3D as I've always had issues converting to FSX. With that being said, I had my go at converting the AC685 to P3DV4 native with PBR materials and here are my results. This was done in only a few hours and everything is there as it should be, including VC.
View attachment 88077View attachment 88078

So did you successfully export the propellers and put it all together again or was it just a straight forward conversion?

Are you going to upload here? Did you already check with the author?

Dan

P.S. I may ask you for help on another project, if I get stuck there.

Propellers had to separate from the FS9 model, it's quite tricky to get them exported with animations and visibility tags applied from MCX. I'll check in with Milton and Arild for release, I'll post here and my usual upload sites.

Propellers had to separate from the FS9 model, it's quite tricky to get them exported with animations and visibility tags applied from MCX. I'll check in with Milton and Arild for release, I'll post here and my usual upload sites.

Thanks eurostar350 and great to see you on these boards! I think Milton somewhere (I can search again if you like) has already consented to native MCX type conversions - as only Sir Milton would do . .

Thing is with PBR, you seem to lose chrome reflections in favour of exterior glossyness - as we saw with the last most fun project - the Lockheed JetStar.

Consider this one complete. I refined the materials/alphas for the metallic textures, attached the beacon light to the rudder, added new sounds with 3D cones/distance. I'm not sure if a paintkit was released, I could use that to create the bump maps. Other than that, this one is done. Give me a few days so I can release, my second daughter was born 3 days ago and I've been up and about taking care of my 2 year old, joggling work and going to the hospital
2022-8-3_12-23-38-883.jpg2022-8-5_0-6-42-117.jpg

Flew the wings off that one until the Carenado 690B came out (with great mods discussed at the avsim forum).

I have it already in P3DV4 with PBR materials, I'm just very hesitant to release as there is no way to get ahold of the developers.
50223936128_60b3705206_o.jpg

Hi George

Great work, that one gets a place in my hanger.

I´m actually working on the aircraft.cfg to remove to be called zero. I think the empty atc_flight_number= needs to be removed.

Taxiing is a bit difficult. Tried increasind the nosewheel angle to 35.

The panel has some strange bleed through. Maybe you could fix that. See pic below.

Regards

Dan

2ENf89h.jpg

Consider this one complete. I refined the materials/alphas for the metallic textures, attached the beacon light to the rudder, added new sounds with 3D cones/distance. I'm not sure if a paintkit was released, I could use that to create the bump maps. Other than that, this one is done. Give me a few days so I can release, my second daughter was born 3 days ago and I've been up and about taking care of my 2 year old, joggling work and going to the hospital
View attachment 88090View attachment 88091

Sound cones? The sound folder was pointing to another aircraft sound file. I "borrowed" a sound folder from another Rockwell commander that had sound files.

Thanks for the conversion it looks great! in P3D V5+ :encouragement:

Back