• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Commander 685 Native P3D conversion

The aircraft has been released here, avsim and simviation. And yes, it works quite well in P3DV5

You. are.a.star - euorstar 350! Thanks so much for your time and effort and sharing this.

Changing the steering

If you are unhappy with default nose wheel steering angles and want to do a more realistic tighter turns at low taxi speeds, it is easy to fix.

Just find your aircraft.cfg of the aircraft under its folder;

[CONTACT_POINTS]

Find the line:

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.530, 1575, 0, 0.620,25.000, 0.196, 4.000, 0.950, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

8th number on this line is always the steering angle of the plane in fsx/p3d, increase it as you wish (up to 90 degrees of course but for realism increasing by 3 times works the best)

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.530, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.196, 4.000, 0.950, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

I put this info here to help others in case they want to know how to do this.

I am finding on all my Milton Commander native model conversions that the right side engine starter is non functional. Only Ctrl E gets it going. Anyone else find this or have a suggestion what I need to tweak? I doubt its something in the MCX process as I have it on the 680 Super, 500 and the Shrike.

First, thanks euorstar 350 for a really nice conversion!

Regarding the nose wheel compression (for me the wheel actually sank deep into the pavement), the following change to the contact points solved most of the problem.

// point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.530, 1575, 0, 0.620, 25.000, 0.196, 4.000, 0.950, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.500, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.100, 4.000, 0.750, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

P.S thanks gray eagle for the link on these parameters.

FYI

Don

First, thanks euorstar 350 for a really nice conversion!

Regarding the nose wheel compression (for me the wheel actually sank deep into the pavement), the following change to the contact points solved most of the problem.

// point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.530, 1575, 0, 0.620, 25.000, 0.196, 4.000, 0.950, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.500, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.100, 4.000, 0.750, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

P.S thanks gray eagle for the link on these parameters.

FYI

Don

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried your contact info and there is a little less nose dive but some bounce back - like a coil expanding from compression effect at least for me.

Capture.jpg

there is a little less nose dive but some bounce back - like a coil expanding from compression effect at least for me.

Yes, there is some bounce back, but hardly noticeable if anti-skid brakes are toggled on. It's definitely more noticeable with anti-skid toggled off.

I'll experiment some more. If I find something better I'll post it.

One other thing. I tried to examine the model with MCX, but it failed to load with a message that "the author does not want you to view the model".

Okay, I think this works a little better. At least the wheel stays on the ground (or close enough to the ground that it's not too noticeable). Based upon what Milton said, I suspect you need to access to the model to adjust the compression correctly.

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.500, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.110, 4.000, 0.750, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

Hi all,

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the new aircraft. Because the models are locked, they can't be opened in MCX (more on that) for further adjustments. For those interested in having the unlocked models and the sounds I forgot to include, I'm including the download link.

As to why the models are locked, it is to prevent unauthorized mods or conversions to FS2020. I'm not sure if Milton has given the greenlight for such mods, but I'm doing it to protect Milton's work and anyone's work that I use for my conversions if no permission exist. Anyone can load up the models into MCX, convert them into an editable "OBJ" file which can be opened in 3DS Max or Blender and make the conversions much easier by anyone that knows how it's done and believe me, I've already seen Milton's Dash 7 in FS2020, at least the FSX conversion I did years ago. Again, it's to protect his work, Arild's work or anyone's work I use. I on the other hand have zero interest in developing for FS2020 because

1.) I lack the software that's capable of producing native models for that platform (I'm not going to learn Blender).

2.) The procedures in creating aircraft is much, much more complex in terms of materials, code, gauges. It's almost completely different and I just don't have the time to sit down and relearn everything I already know

3.) I don't have FS2020 installed. It has since been removed from my rig as I was experiencing too many issues just to get it working properly. And it pretty much is an unfinished platform IMHO

I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers because of the locked models

Yes, there is some bounce back, but hardly noticeable if anti-skid brakes are toggled on. It's definitely more noticeable with anti-skid toggled off.

I'll experiment some more. If I find something better I'll post it.

One other thing. I tried to examine the model with MCX, but it failed to load with a message that "the author does not want you to view the model".

I tried changing the anti skid setting in P3D and yes the wheels will still turn ( a little) when stopping instead of the wheels locking up and not spinning however, in my situation,
the nose gear still bobs down then up. I used the point=0 settings.

Hey, Butch! Do the wheel(s) bounce when standing still or only when moving? May not be only a "contact point" problem.:wavey:

Hey, Butch! Do the wheel(s) bounce when standing still or only when moving? May not be only a "contact point" problem.:wavey:

I am rolling along and apply the brakes and it bobs down and up like a cheap set of shocks

Last edited:
//0 Class <0=none,1=wheel, 2=scrape, 3=float>
//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
//2 Lateral Position (feet)
//3 Vertical Position (feet)
//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
//6 Wheel Radius (feet)
//7 Steer Angle (degrees)
//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
//11 Extension Time (seconds)
//12 Retraction Time (seconds)
//13 Sound Type
//14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)
//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

Have you done any changes to //8, //9, or //10 for compression and damping? You may have to increase or decrease the numbers more than you have.

Reminds me of a sign outside of a car tire store! "Let us tire, brake and shock you"! :ernaehrung004:

//0 Class <0=none,1=wheel, 2=scrape, 3=float>
//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
//2 Lateral Position (feet)
//3 Vertical Position (feet)
//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
//6 Wheel Radius (feet)
//7 Steer Angle (degrees)
//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
//11 Extension Time (seconds)
//12 Retraction Time (seconds)
//13 Sound Type
//14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)
//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

Have you done any changes to //8, //9, or //10 for compression and damping? You may have to increase or decrease the numbers more than you have.

Reminds me of a sign outside of a car tire store! "Let us tire, brake and shock you"! :ernaehrung004:

Most other aircraft cfg files have that data listed but not this one
And...There is nothing after point #3 listed.

In P3d I have the antiskid brake turned off and in spot view and stopping the aircraft, the wheels don't lock up but the nose still dives down and then when it stops the nose
will raise back up.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the new aircraft. Because the models are locked, they can't be opened in MCX (more on that) for further adjustments. For those interested in having the unlocked models and the sounds I forgot to include, I'm including the download link.

I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers because of the locked models

Hi George

Thanks for sharing the unblocked model. I replaced the attached lights in the model, which were moved to strange positions during conversion from FS9.

Landing lights are no at exact positions on the main gear strut.

TF0UtwS.jpg

Also the beacon is on the lower tail

zv2W97e.jpg

And also added fslspotlights ...

tZxHGxz.jpg

I still have no idea how to correct the panel bleeding through the inside model. Hope everyone enjoys this fix.

You can get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsY1umeiXKWCEMNO-hzXclXe2UECdOnM/view?usp=sharing

Dan

Anyway to tame the brightness of these lights.

A lot of the light effect is bouncing off the fuselage and looking back at the aircraft gives me the illusion of lights on the sides of the fuselage.
Capture.jpg

On the real Rockwells a red tail light (beacon) is on the tip (top) of the tail for a reason. That one needs to be illuminated I would think.

Capture.jpg

Hi George

Thanks for sharing the unblocked model. I replaced the attached lights in the model, which were moved to strange positions during conversion from FS9.

Landing lights are no at exact positions on the main gear strut.

Also the beacon is on the lower tail

And also added fslspotlights ...

I still have no idea how to correct the panel bleeding through the inside model. Hope everyone enjoys this fix.

You can get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsY1umeiXKWCEMNO-hzXclXe2UECdOnM/view?usp=sharing

Dan

That "fix" ,mdl killed the red beacon on the tip of the tail (no beacon)
Reverted to having both upper and lower red beacons.

That "fix" killed the red beacon on the tip of the tail (no beacon)
Reverted to having both upper and lower red beacons.

That´s certainly the best thing you can do Ivan.

So for all others, I added a second beacon on the fin, but it was not possible to let it move with the fin. I had to leave it static but it blinks, and that´s the main goal.

The fslabs light was turned away from the fuselage in my version but somehow it reverted to old values in my upload. Changed the values back to 8 degree deflection away from the fuselage, looks better but have no idea, how the real plane had it though.

mBuqZqx.jpg

Please download the fix again if you did before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsY1umeiXKWCEMNO-hzXclXe2UECdOnM/view?usp=sharing

Back