• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Hixon link, for anyone desperate enough to want it...

Got it thanks, Now what can help me scan aircraft in FSX to use for Ai. I ahve a few SAR Ac's and HC's to use but i need to know how to put them into the AC text.

You have to add them manually - or use AI Flight Planner, available from Avsim, in which case you don't need AIFPC, as AI Flight Planner can save directly into FSX format.

I used AIFP to do the Wellingtons and one random DC-3 for Hixon and it didn't take very long at all - that was starting from scratch, not basing the file on an existing one.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it sounds like you want to just scan your aircraft directory, pick them and have them fly as AI. It doesn't work that way. You can create random flight plans for your traffic using the SDK, but they will be truly random. Otherwise you have to build your own flightplans for specific aircraft to/from specific places. You can do that in Lee Swordy's TrafficTools format and convert them using AIFPC, or can build them in AI Flight Planner. You can also do them through the SDK if you want, but any way you choose to build flightplans, they will not just happen - you have to create them.

Ian P.

Hi Folks

I think my previous post came across rather harsher than intended... Sorry.
This happens when your entire website just went "stuffedup.com". :banghead:
Ian -
No worries whatsoever,
you made perfectly valid points. :d

Also appreciate your website frustration.
Glad to see you're up & running again.

Do like some of those mountain headers.
Are they Marinelli/Drupal defaults ?

ATB
Paul

Thank you Ian. Actually i just got Trnasload Virtual's Coast Guard AI into FSX useing exsiting fs9 bgls and converting useing AIFPC. Worked like a charm and now with fsx blg ai i getting better fps.

Do like some of those mountain headers.
Are they Marinelli/Drupal defaults ?

They are indeed... so's the grumpy cat!

The pics will all change over time, it's just a series of jpg images in a folder with a php "rotate" script so I'll replace them with more appropriate images. I'm not entirely sure they're from Marinelli itself, as there are a number of sub-themes under it, but I might keep some mountains and the cat amongst the FS ones I create. :d

I've just fixed the glitch that you can't see attached files unless you are logged in, so Hixon is now really available again.

I replaced the hangars at Hixon last night with those from the library I found on Flightsim.com, but didn't have chance to test it. The ones I've put in at Cosford look a lot better, though.

Update: I've uploaded a version of Hixon with Ted Andrews's RAF Hangars to http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk - further information is on the page. Please feel free to poke, prod, then complain back here when it doesn't work properly, so I can see what I need to fix! ;)

Have fun!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Don't forget RNAS Gannet, as it was up until the late 90's when I left the fair shores of Scotland. They had a SAR contingent there, not sure if they still do as I am sure Gannet was on the list of closures.

Now what would be really cool is a scenery of HMNB Faslane complete with Vanguard Boomers and MCMV's... Illustrious and Ark Royal would often come in for a visit as well as the Fleet Replenishment ships etc. At the risk of being accosted by HM Secret Services I could provide a few pics. :)

P.S. Coulport and Faslane has Helo Pads. :jump:

Pultacatt,
There's still an RN SAR flight based at Prestwick (Gannet) but there's not much of an RN base there as such now, just a couple of hangars and a two story admin building. All the married quarters etc. have been disposed of. Certainly a change from the days when it had a full Pinger squadron, the SAR flight etc. etc. I may have had the full tour from an ex-Sea King Observer recently!

And for some reason whenever I'm on a ship going to Faslane we end up at the NATO fueling jetty at Loch Long(?) which is miles from Faslane, which is at the edge of nowhere to begin with!

Skippy, is that the Jetty near Glen Mallon or the refuelling berth round the corner from Coulport?

Geez I drove past there one day on my way to Arrochar and it went dark... Looked to the left and there was Ark Royal sitting proudly, even though they (Illustrious and Ark Royal) are tiny compared to the American Carriers it was still an awesome sight, when she / they would come into Fassers or Rosythe they never looked quite so big.

Its a shame about Gannet, was in and out of there about 3 or 4 times a week during the very late 90's and early 2000's. Is the Gannet still on the pedestal there?

The one up past Coulport, if you look on Google Earth it's got Fort Vic or Fort George alongside. It is very strange taking a warship up there as you're not used to being so close to land and the water being so deep you can literally get within meters of the shore and still have 30+ meters of water.

I think the Gannet is still there, it's not on the airport side of the site so I didn't see it, but I'm sure there was a Navy News article about it being cleaned or something not that long ago. It's a bit odd Gannet being downgraded as the need for an ASW capability to protect Faslane is still there, perhaps more so these days.

Can I steal my thread back for long enough to say "Good Grief, Culdrose has too many helipads!!!" :isadizzy:

I'm still working on it.

Edited to add pics - still more work to do here, including a lot more helipads and getting rid of the default flattens. Unfortunately, because I've increased the size of the default airport flatten so much, there is a pronounced plateau effect in some places. I'm not going to fix that right now. My knowledge and skills aren't up to it.

Ian P.

Ian,

Veering dangerously back towards the topic, Culdrose is sprawled over the ridge line of the Lizard Peninsula, with fairly sharp drop offs at either end, especially towards the Helford. Because of this I think you'd be hard pushed to avoid the plateau effect no matter how Jedi you are with ADE.
Also! The helipads you've put south of the main runway don't exist! That area is 750 and FRADU fixed wing parking*, 771, 820 and 824 are on the two dispersals West of the North/South runway so those areas will have helipads, although not many because Merlins aren't small.

If you've got any questions on the layout at CU or VL I can probably answer them or know someone who can.

*Technically FRADU also receives visiting aircraft so helicopters can land there, but there aren't any H marked on the ground.

The terrain blending would be SBuilderX, not ADE. Although I know roughly how to do it, it's more a case of spending hours making the blend look good and I really don't have the time right now.

Regarding where I've put helipads, I've put one everywhere (on the aprons so far - the other two are covered in them as well) that there's a circle painted on the ground. They're not marked with 'H', but they are very definitely there on the overhead shots - is it possible that they could be old ones which have sort of been erased, like you can still see the difference in colour between old road markings and the road?

Ian P.

is it possible that they could be old ones which have sort of been erased

Ian that's most likely, they may not actually have been erased, they just aren't used anymore. I know the FRADU pizza hut style building used to be 771 before they moved, and from that I'd guess one of the Sea King Pinger squadrons was there before that.
Forgot to say because of where CU is there's actually quite a bump in the middle of the main East/West runway which will increase the scenery blend problem, maybe FSXI will let us drape runways over the terrain rather than flattening it!

How many fixed wing parking spots do you want down there and of what size? I think there are eight or nine 10m spots at the moment, which the MAIW Hawks fill instantly so I was going to sneak some in somewhere else anyway.

Contoured runways would be much appreciated in FSXI, if anyone from ACES reads this... I'm still getting told off for my attempts to blend in Little Snoring, which don't work on all the various meshes available. ;)

Ian P.

How many fixed wing parking spots do you want down there and of what size?

I think FRADU have around 6-8 spots on the Western half of that dispersal, with 750 having around 10 on the Eastern half (i.e. where you have them in ADE a couple of posts up). They're marked up for Jetstreams so I'd say the ones you have so far are probably about right.

The parking spots I've marked in ADE for the Eastern side are painted on the ground, so I've done them exactly as they are on Google/Virtual Earth photos - they're 10m, the Jetstream needs 8m (15.9m wingspan) according to Jane's, so I'll leave them as they are.

Google Earth shows 9 little rectangles, which I can treat as parking spots, over on the Western side of that Apron, where Virtual Earth shows three Hawks parked, so I'll put those in. I suspect, from experience, that the MAIW Hawks will overrun the other end as well, though!

Thanks Anna, but I'm just using other peoples' tools and models... All I'm doing is sticking things where sattelite photos tell me to! ;)

Ian P.

Ian, that sounds about right. Not sure where MAIW think the RN is getting all the Hawks from, I think they've only got about 8 max at CU!

Back