I am fed up with copy protection!!!

jmig

SOH-CM-2026
I am disgusted to my eyeballs with all the copy protection schemes these developer’s use. I understand the need to protect their content from pirates. I sympathize with and agree with their need to stop rampart piracy. However, why should I have to pay with inconvenience and more and more special apps, on top of my payment, just to have the privilege of struggling to get the damn thing to work, and continue working. Case in point.

Most of you guys know that I am a fan of the T-38, haven flown it in pilot training. I own both the Blackbird (Milviz) and Aero Dynamics versions. The Blackbird loads and flies just fine. The Aero Dynamics version is constantly loading up with see through walls, and I must jump through hoops to get it back. This happens constantly, and it did yesterday, three days after I got it to work once before. So, being frustrated I decided to switch to the Just Flight T1 Hawk…same thing. I just turned off MSFS, loaded up one of the two versions of fifteen-year-old Skyrim, and took my frustrations out on bandits.

I know Microsoft’s Market Place is a bad term around here. I too have had my moments of less than love with them. However, I have never had the troubles mentioned above. You buy the airplane and it works..well, sometimes it sort of works. But, that has nothing to do with copy protection.

I know I am an old man and have become somewhat of a curmudgeon. (That trends to happen after years and years of frustrations pile up on you like guano on seashore rocks). However, while the models today are much more realistic, realism and system fidelity comes with a price. No longer can you just jump into a MSFS aircraft and enjoy flying it. Now, you need to spend thirty minutes trying to figure out which of the fifteen possible throttles bindings work with this airplane. And, God forbid if you decide to try and fly from cold and dark.

Frankly, I am done with Infinity and Aero Dynamics. The same with TDS and their finiky GPS that works and doesn’t work. The point is I don’t need to and shouldn’t have to put up with copy protection. If a developer is going to use it, make it transparent and a one-time thing. Or, maybe better, sell it through Market Place.
 
If you're streaming these aircraft then see-through walls could be a streaming/bandwidth issue at some point down the line, starting at their end.
If you go into your MSFS library and select those aircraft, you should have the option to download and install them, which will end the streaming problems.
 
Tiger, the T-38 he's talking about has a custom copy-protection installer, it's not using MSFT streaming.

It's the whole reason I haven't bought their planes. Because I worried about something like what poor John's going through. Plus if it's doing live server checks for copy protection, what happens when Sim Company That Launched with a Poor Decision goes belly up? Is the T-38 grounded forever?

I hate Marketplace encryption. I do like that MP planes are gonna work as long as MSFS does.
 
If you're streaming these aircraft then see-through walls could be a streaming/bandwidth issue at some point down the line, starting at their end.
If you go into your MSFS library and select those aircraft, you should have the option to download and install them, which will end the streaming problems.
As far as I know, I do not have any streaming add-ons, unless they are from the Market Place. I got the Hawk to work by redownloading and reinstalling. I have given up on the AD T-38. Thank you for the advice,
 
John, I've had that happen with the T-38. You just click on the Aero Dynamics icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen and re-enter your serial number. I've never had any issues with any of Justflight's products, but whenever I've contacted them, their backup has been superb.
 
John, I've had that happen with the T-38. You just click on the Aero Dynamics icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen and re-enter your serial number. I've never had any issues with any of Justflight's products, but whenever I've contacted them, their backup has been superb.
Justflight support is just stellar. And so is Aeroplane Heaven's for that matter.
 
John, I've had that happen with the T-38. You just click on the Aero Dynamics icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen and re-enter your serial number. I've never had any issues with any of Justflight's products, but whenever I've contacted them, their backup has been superb.
I have done that in the past, Ian. It works and then a week, month, whenever it quits working. It may be something I am doing. But, I am not going to spend all day to figure out copy protection for one airplane. Speaking of grips toward developers, would it kill them to just use standard control bindings when they work? I am trying to set up the T1 Hawk again. I love the way the airplane flies. However, the flaps use some weird L-Var setting along with HMTL, rather than Flaps Down, Flaps Up, Flaps Dec, nd Flaps Inc. I am going to drop the entire Behavior screen into Claude later today. Maybe he can figure it out. I can't.
 
Whilst on the subject of Hawks, did you see the footage of the one that crashed at RAF Valley last week (T2). Thankfully, both crew members escaped unharmed:

 
That looks like control failure. The nose kicks up into what looks like an accelerated stall and starts porpoising. The two pilots immediately eject without trying to recover.
 
That looks like control failure. The nose kicks up into what looks like an accelerated stall and starts porpoising. The two pilots immediately eject without trying to recover.
There's 3x videos doing the rounds that I'm aware of, two of the ejection/crash from different angles and one as they launched.
It's not imediately obvious from the inflight videos but they were on fire, flames can be seen coming out the APU exhaust going down the runway and again at a few points of the inflight videos. The Elevator control rods in the Hawk run adjacent to the APU, if they've burned through then Sir Isaac Newton was driving by the time they punched out.
 
Back
Top