• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

I Said One Thing But

Then there is this one

AKA Fartin' Martin. :biggrin-new:

:biggrin-new:
Capture.jpg

Updates

Here is I think the final updates for NAS Argentia. You will need to download the original package from one of the two links above for the proper sim. It is as best as I can tell from comments working in all the sims except MSFS and Xplane.

Follow the README in the Update folder. You do not need to install the original package into the sim until you are ready to after updates are installed and original files removed per instructions. Here are the two download links:

FSX and P3D V1,2,3---https://www.mediafire.com/file/sepvf9pylou3j56/CWAR+FSX+Update.zip/file

P3D V4 and V5---- https://www.mediafire.com/file/3wyntzmf4etcxar/CWAR+P3D+Update.zip/file

Maybe we can get together on JoinFS sometime and fly together out of here.

As always please let me know if you are having any problems.

Ooooops...when yesterday went from serene to chaotic I forgot to upload the original for FSX so here is THAT link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gl1g3axv099jquo/CWAR+NAS+Argentia-FSX.zip/file

Oppama?

gray eagle, I like the NAS Oppama paint job on your PBM. Is that available for download anywhere?
I saw the paintjob too and had to look up Oppama. I found out that if I am correct it is the name of the Airbase in Yokosuka. I was in Yokosuka for a week while America was inport. Had a great time in Tokyo and Kamakura. 50 years ago Kamakura was the "Flowerdrum Song" village unspoiled. Was there at Cherry Blossom Time, really beautiful. I don't know what it looks like now. Sadly all my memories were on 35mm slides that got drowned in a flood. I can still picture it in my mind though. Went on a walking tour of the village and found a small shop where two little old ladies, traditional Japanese in kimonos were hand making geisha dolls that I bought two of for a ridiculous amount of yen...one from Mom and one for Grandma that they kept for all the years I remember. I believe that my sister has them now. :loyal:

It is a freeware package that was upgraded for FSX and it works in P3DV5.4 just fine. The sound folder defaults to a Douglas DC3 sound which is not a correct sound/engine for this
aircraft - early models used R2600 then R2800 - You can google those engines and usually it says what real aircraft those engines were used in.

Here is the link

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=alpha+sim+martin+mariner&x=22&y=10

It will be the 2nd file on that page. The file name is Martin-Alphasim-_PBM_Mariner_X.zip

Martin PBM-5A and 3D Mariner Package. Works in both FS2004 and FSX. The Martin Model 162 Mariner was a larger, more capable flying boat than the far more popular consolidated PBY Catalina. The first PBM-1 flew in 1939, and underwent many design changes -- including the adoption of a dihedral in the tail design -- to overcome flight performance and stability issues. PBM-3s were delivered from 1942-44 in a variety of configurations, including anti-submarine, transport, and patrol versions. The final variant, the PBM-5, used the 2,100 HP Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine, and was given amphibious capabilities. In all, 1,366 of all types were built, with production ceasing in 1949. The last PBM was retired in 1956, but the type continued in Coast Guard duty and with other nations for many years afterward. FSX thumbs added and panel tweaked by Soaring Falcon. Ex Payware from Alphasim.

gray eagle, I like the NAS Oppama paint job on your PBM. Is that available for download anywhere?

Last edited:
Yeah, I too had to look up Oppama and found that out as well.

I saw the paintjob too and had to look up Oppama. I found out that if I am correct it is the name of the Airbase in Yokosuka. I was in Yokosuka for a week while America was inport. Had a great time in Tokyo and Kamakura. 50 years ago Kamakura was the "Flowerdrum Song" village unspoiled. Was there at Cherry Blossom Time, really beautiful. I don't know what it looks like now. Sadly all my memories were on 35mm slides that got drowned in a flood. I can still picture it in my mind though. Went on a walking tour of the village and found a small shop where two little old ladies, traditional Japanese in kimonos were hand making geisha dolls that I bought two of for a ridiculous amount of yen...one from Mom and one for Grandma that they kept for all the years I remember. I believe that my sister has them now. :loyal:

gray eagle, thanks for directing me to the download link. I had always thought that Oppama was a an OLF (outlying field) somewhere around Tokyo or Sagami Bay. I only figured out earlier this year that it was the former IJN Yokosuka NAS, home base for all those aircraft you see in pics with the katakana "Yo" ([FONT=&quot]ヨ) character on the tail. [/FONT]

That's All Folks

Falcon409 spent the last two days making an inclined ramp for Argentia and it looked really nice but one problem that I can't fix and that is everyone has to have the exact sim and the exact same computer and that's never going to happen. A custom mesh of the area at $$$$$ for software isn't an option either. On his computer in FSX the ramp looks great; on my computer in FSX it is under water and in P3D V4.5 it has holes in the surface which I ran into with my attempts before and why I just extended an apron out into the bay. So we have extended aprons out into the bay to taxi on and off of. I tried for one last time this after with the ramp I had made following his lead and trying to lower its level in Model ConverterX which worked great but when I got it level with the apron it sank into the bay leaving just the apron. At this point enjoy the airport in your sim and have fun flying. BTW no one at FSDevelopers ever answered me as to why water runways in the sims look like concrete surfaces.

That IS Beautiful

Water Landing at NAS Argentia:

CWAR_Landing-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-003 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-007 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-008 by Ed Wells, on Flickr CWAR_Landing-006 by Ed Wells, on Flickr
Your ramp on your computer looks great. Thanks again for taking the time to make it. If you want to post YOUR link any of the guys who want to see if it works on their system can try it. It DOES look a lot nicer than just an extended runway.

NAS Argentia Albatross

I created this repaint for the Virtavia Payware HU-16 Albatross which I dug out of my hanger from a photo I found online. It is posed at NAS Argentia from my download/update for Prepar3D V4.5 and 5.

Y7bnIVi.png

Hi Richard,

That is cool. I have the Virtavia HU-16 and with one livery as NAS Cubi Pt (NAS Olanagpo :biggrin-new:) We used to zap (stencil) transient aircraft with a NAS Olanagop stencil.
I was stationed at NAS Cubi '67-69 + many ports of call there with a few squadrons embarked on different carriers. I loaded JATO on this bird and watched the JATO cans kick
this plane airborne in short order. I'd sure like a copy of your Argentia livery. :encouragement:

Cubi.jpg

I created this repaint for the Virtavia Payware HU-16 Albatross which I dug out of my hanger from a photo I found online. It is posed at NAS Argentia from my download/update for Prepar3D V4.5 and 5.

Y7bnIVi.png

I Did

Might you of "borrowed" this one from the NAS Whidby IS livery? :untroubled: This is P3DV5.4

Capture.jpg
The Neptune paintkit has colored layers but the HU16 had none just details so it was much easier. That's dumb. It was totally covered 100% because I saw the original registration under the 7906 and then it went away. You can see above that V4.5 didn't do that. The rudder shows but not the horizontal stab the rest of Whidbey IS. This happens if it is in the alpha channel but I checked that and it's not. The alpha channel is just reflective.

The Lousy Stinker

When I opened up the alpha channel in Photoshop and enlarged it you can see the leftover of Whidbey Is on the rudder which was not readily apparent in DXTBMP so I have fixed it from the paintkit. It should work now: https://www.mediafire.com/file/33zr9pker3w9bp3/HU16_4_t.dds/file Just replace the HU16_4_t.dds with this one and then LMK if it's all fixed in your sim.

Here is the link to the texture for the Virtavia HU-16 Albatross which works in all sims except MSFS and X-plane.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x8zcu3jp3pluhdh/texture.NASArgentia.zip/file make the substitution above.

Thanks Gray Eagle for checking it out and catching this.

Okay, I replace the texture with the latest one you provided. No change if the tail is viewed from the port side where the sun is directly illuminating the paint and original lettering underneath.

On the starboard side the old lettering is not illuminated by direct sunlight.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

I'm Stumped

I just checked mine in V4.5 and its ok. I also downloaded the patch from the Mediafire link and it's ok too. I don't know why you still get that. I am going to zip up my current texture that I have the change in and post a new download to try. If that doesn't work then I can't explain it.

here is a link to a new download that is fixed so no patch is needed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/2fr4bftjkmrg4n6/texture.NASArgentia.zip/file

Delete the one in your HU16 folder and replace with this one which is patched.

Doesn't have either

If there is a specular or bump, check those as well!
Thank you for the hint Ed but there is neither in the texture.Argentia folder. In the texture folder which is shared by all there are bump and specular but they are totally generic. The HU16_4_t that is in there is also generic and all gray no type on it at all and it's replaced by the HU16_4_t.dds of whatever texture is being used.

From what I can tell on my NAS CUBI repaint that Jeansy made the lettering went on the HU16_4_t.dds file and I can see where you put the ARGENTIA lettering but I don't see any of the old Whidby
lettering. I don't see any HU16_4_spec.dds file like the other textures have. In the Whidby files the HU16_4_spec.dds file I could see where the Whidby lettering is also there. So maybe
a HU16_4_spec.dds is needed for the Argentia that shows the Argentia lettering as well. It sounds logical to me.

Back