• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Hi,

Can somebody tell me if these additional texture sets (made for the original Virtavia FS9 package) work in FSX/P3D with JP's V1.1 package ??

The problem I have:
For some reason (which I can't trace back) these texture sets always refer to specific models.
Virtavia named these model.1, model.2 etc ....
Whereas in JP's V1.1 package these models are referred to (and organised in three Pack versions) as model.B, model.C, model.F4K, model.GR1, etc etc .

So I'm trying to find a mapping ....

Rob
First of all, thank you and congrats to you and the team for making the Phantom better!

In the V1.1 "Readme_and_installation_guide.txt" there is a section named "USING THE OLD REPAINTS", outlining the mapping between the old and new model structure. I think that's what you are looking for, Rob. ;)

Cheers,
JP

First of all, thank you and congrats to you and the team for making the Phantom better!

In the V1.1 "Readme_and_installation_guide.txt" there is a section named "USING THE OLD REPAINTS", outlining the mapping between the old and new model structure. I think that's what you are looking for, Rob. ;)

Cheers,
JP
Hi JP,

Yes, that info is exactly what I was looking for .. Thanks !!

Hope you can find the time to try out V1.2.
You'll be amazed .....LoL

Cheers, Rob

Good to know now that the V1.2 update also works in P3DV5.2 (which isn't trivial ...LoL)

Cheers, Rob

Close, but no cigar. The usual issue with the reheat effects still persists. The burner effects are fine in P3Dv4.5, but don't work in P3Dv5.2. I'm led to believe that it's a question of scaling.

Dave

Close, but no cigar. The usual issue with the reheat effects still persists. The burner effects are fine in P3Dv4.5, but don't work in P3Dv5.2. I'm led to believe that it's a question of scaling.

Dave
Hi Dave
Re the A/B it seems to work with the RAF models

ScreenHunter 92.png

Re Prep3d V5.2 I've just tested the A/B on all models in Pack 12 and on my rig only the F4B doesn't display the reheat effect. Also tested pack31 and 32 all models display reheat
Mike

Last edited:
Again re Prep3dv5.2 I've conducted more tests.
The cfg files in all packs call for

[smokesystem]
smoke.1 = -19.00, -2.25, -0.80, fx_smoke_f6
smoke.2 = -19.00, 2.25, -0.80, fx_smoke_f6
smoke.3 = -9.19, -2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_fire_FSX
smoke.4 = -9.19, 2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_fire_FSX
smoke.5 = -9.19, -2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_short_FSX
smoke.6 = -9.19, 2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_short_FSX
smoke.7 = -9.19, -2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long_FSX
smoke.8 = -9.19, 2.20, -0.79, fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long_FSX
smoke.9 = 12, 0, -3.5 ,F4Gun, ///Machinegun effect
smoke.10 = 0,0,0, fx-dummy //Not used
smoke.11 = 0,0,0, fx-dummy //First Smoke control for loadout animation
smoke.12 = 0,0,0, fx-dummy
smoke.13 = 0,0,0, fx-dummy
smoke.14 = 0,0,0, fx-dummy

Entries 3-8 have an appendage _FSX but those effects files in the Prepr3dv5.2 effects folder don't have it. By removing the _FSX appendage in the cfg file I find the after burners work on all models in all packs on my rig.

Mike

Ok, some explanation on the Reheat effects.
That is: as far as I understand it: (this was in JP's V1.1, and has not changed in the V1.2 Update)
Someone please correct me if/where I'm wrong ...

In V1.1, the goal was to have one package that would work for FSX-Accel/Steam (32-bit) and P3Dv4 (64-bit).
The reheat effects are controlled from the .mdl code.
Which works fine in P3Dv4, for all models except some minor issues on the models with extended nose gear (like F-4K and RF-4B).

However, that didn't work in FSX.
Solution for that in FSX: switch the reheat effect via aircraft.cfg Smoke system definitions and gauge control of these Smoke.* effects.
To still have one package for both P3Dv4 and FSX, two seperate Effect folders for FSX and P3D were included.
That contain IDENTICAL reheat effect files, but with a different names.
Like:
- For P3D: fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long.fx
- For FSX: fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long_FSX.fx

Meaning that:
- In P3Dv4:
oo The model code uses file fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long.fx for the effect.
oo The gauge code switches the effect fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long_FSX.fx ; but since that file (defined in the aircraft.cfg) can't be found in the P3D Effects folder: it's void.

- In FSX:
It's the other way around.
Since the file fx_reheat_AlphaPhantom_long.fx can't be found by the model code; hence that switching is void.

I.o.w.: switching the reheat effects on/off is done EITHER by the model code (in P3D) OR by gauge code (in FSX) ; depending on the Effect filename found in the Effects folder.
Not both.

In P3Dv5.2, swiching the reheat effects from the mdl code appears not to work; no clue why (I don't use P3D).
So Mike's trick to use the P3D reheat effect filenames in the Smokesystem section of the aircraft.cfg's probably works.
Or install the FSX Effects folder instead of changing the aircraf.cfg files ; should have the same result.

Rob

My busy RL Season is starting to wind down now. Winter's approaching, and I should have more time to try out the newest Phantom version soon.
Can't wait ! :jump:

Hard to believe last time I visited here was back in April.

Owning both payware Phantoms I was waiting and watching the progress on this revamp only downloading it to learn how the team did it for my own projects. Flew it in P3Dv4.5 and kept most of my bombs close to the target without a HUD/CCIP and it was FUN! Framerates were really good and I spent most of the time looking outside, so never bothered by the dated VC textures. Great job all!

Dusk Approach into Lakenheath ......

MYUZnQb.png
9Du8Nvx.png
ywCIJDq.png

Rob Barendregt Sonic Boom Gauge for JP and Co's F-4 Revival

I can only get the vapor cone effect via the 'L' key manually, and cannot see nor hear anything once AC reaches Mach 1 in flight. (FSX Deluxe SP 1&2)

Can someone possibly summarize what files/gauges need to be where in order for this sound/visual effect to be heard/seen automatically at Mach 1 ?

Also, can this only be seen from a certain viewpoint, such as 'flyby' ? :confused:

Thank-you,
MZ

I finally got the sonic boom gauge and effect working.

This is one of only two military jets that I have with mostly everything working on my non-Accel, non-TacPack FSX. The other is FSXBA Hornet.

Happy to be of assistance!

I see you have that fancy GPS. I was using it when experimenting recently with the AI Gulfstream 650. That gauge is included in a good looking freeware 787 VC I merged with the G650. However, I gave up because I am convinced that GPS was causing frequent lock ups, CTD's and blue screens. Not one CTD since I stopped using it. The manual for the 787 does say it can cause a "system failure" if using the "direct to" nav function, which I use all the time. Not sure why it has that bug and why it cannot be sorted. On my to do list to revisit that 787 VC using just the default GPS to see if it still CTD's.

Lee,

I too have now switched back to the default FSX GPS. This new GPS would randomly 'freeze' mid-flight and become unresponsive to mouse clicks. The sim would otherwise continue to run OK.

Just slowly starting to dust off the cobwebs since my last flight in FSX over five months ago, now with winter approaching.
This great aircraft was again my first 'go to' to satisfy my need for speed in this grand daddy of sims.

Back