• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

RAF Brüggen: Converting to FSX

Better and better

I love the lorry on the road. Is it a driveable vehicle to navigate around the base or is it a static vehicle? After I finished my "crowning achievement" in scenery a couple years ago, I loved driving around the base on all the roads and housing neighborhoods I added to it. Like you I even added traffic signs on poles and on the road as I could see in the photos. The government created 100's of pages of reports with photos of the entire base which was still intact when after closing down in the 1990's for the state of California and city of Oakland which was given the base. Even the type of trees on the streets was specified. It was the greatest source of material ever for a scenery creator. I have never had anything like it since minus a few occasions with personal help from a person who worked at the particular airport and was kind enough to furnish photos from their phone of what I couldn't see or find. There are still nice, helpful people in the world. :wavey:

From my very vague memories the missiles belonged to 25 Squadron operating Bloodhound missiles. I remember there was also a railway track, but I forgot why it was there. Too much time spent at the rugby club and the families club I suspect.

Regards Paul Day.

The base represents the end of the 80s, early 90s. The 25 sqn moved to RAF Wyton in 1983, so my scenery comes without these missile stations unfortunately.

But the railwaytrack I use indeed, with some nice details on its end:

The lorry you can see on the previous screens is a drivable model, a german Mercedes Benz Unimog Truck which is developped by Mitsuya Hamaguchi (nickname is hama) who designed a lot more of interesting vehicles for FS9 ans FSX.
Here is the download link to the model:

https://simviation.com/fsxmisc6.htm

But if you have a search inside the net, you will find a lot more of his cool models with
what you can do nice expeditions around all your preferred airbases....

Trouble

I had trouble (I don't know why) downloading from your link. It went to Simviation but...anyway. I opened up simviation fresh and did a search for unimog and found a better download updated for FSX and for the Belgian Unimog which comes with 3 different textures for it. FYI. Thank you. I look forward to driving all over. After WWII did the British Forces drive the Willys Jeeps? Here is the download over at AVSIM for FSX.

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=178748

I kinda found my own answer in Google...Land Rover Defender...which you can find at AVSIM as well. It will need to be tweaked though I think for RAF/RN/RA service since it is civilian repaint right now.

The Unimog for FSX is awesome visually, but in FS9 it had diesel motor sounds instead of the C172 engine it has in the FSX download. Is there a fix for this? The Simviation link is dead.

Diesel Engine Sound

The Landrover Defender for the Safari1 in AVSIM has a diesel engine sound. I also downloaded the Volvo truck with the UN repaint that I am going to work on to make it military instead of UN if I can. More here later. "Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley (Laurel and Hardy). LOL!!!:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

UN Truck

The UN Volvo looks nice but it will need a repaint to military. I am working on the "Defender" to make it look kind of like the photos I was able to find of RAF Defenders. It won't be exact because I am NOT a GMAX artist, just working on it in MDCx and Sketchup but it may be ok. It has racks on top and the crash grill that I removed BUT when I did I lost all of the grill so I have to recreate it in Sketchup and then convert and add it in MDCx, I have done this with aircraft but it is a tedious process. Anyone here good with GMAX want to tackle it post and I will let you do it. I'll repaint the UN Volvo, I'm good at that. Here is a photo of the RAF Defender I found:

009-C27-52.jpg

008-C27-53.jpg

After looking at the textures, IMO if it can't be done in MDCx or GMAX, it's a problem because all the textures in the folders are square bmps not anything like any aircraft with body (fuselage) shape to them. I'm not quitting yet though. I don't want to hijack this thread for the vehicles so I am opening a new thread for RAF Bruggen Vehicles under that title.

UN Truck

How is the UN-Truck?
I just opened up the texture for the UN truck and all the files are $$A files and can't be opened up with Photoshop or Paintshop Pro so I don't know how to repaint it. I looked up what an $$A file was on the web and it can only be opened with the software that created it according to them. I am going to go over to FSDevelopers and see if they have any input over there. :banghead:

BTW, the original sound files were also $$A but fortunately I found a folder in a different download of a vehicle and was able to use that for those diesel sounds. I am going to look for another download of the UN truck and see if it has real textures not these $$A files. Well, no luck there. Both sites with the UN truck have those stupid $$A texture files. If the creator emails me back I am going to ask him for the texture files in bmp or dds if he has them so that they can be modified.

I Dunno

There went something wrong with your download I assume...

I downloaded it from this site and all textures seem to be okay:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2977/fsx-project-volvo-un-truck/

Twice I downloaded it. Twice I unpacked it: once with 7Zip and once with Windows 7 Unzip and both times I get those stupid $$A texture files. why don't you go ahead and repaint it because I don't understand the problem. The Defender unpacked just fine with extended bmp textures. I have never had this happen before. I was talking with edakridge and he suggested that I try and open the $$A with DXTBMP and it works so I am going to just SAVEAS extended bmps in that and then I can go ahead and repaint. Anyone know where I can get text on British Military Vehicle Postwar markings beside WAR COLORS which is more money than I can afford. There are all kinds of free U.S. Army information.

Last edited:
Well, Here It Is

Once I figured out that DXTBMP could open up the silly $$A files...I actually didn't need to open up them anyway because all the repainting was done in MDCx by changing the colors in the Texture Editor to an actual color match for British Army Green. Here is the result. When Dirk answers my email I will share the model. Next I am going to tackle the Landrover. His website is no longer there so I hope that he still is on his email. Unlike the Defender I found no attached effects for lights which I will have to add after I hear back. Otherwise we'll just drive around in the daytime and hope it "passes annual inspection" LOL!

96h4lr295ybxz3f6g.jpg

35ol4us5tyfsc0k6g.jpg

Once I figured out that DXTBMP could open up the silly $$A files...I actually didn't need to open up them anyway because all the repainting was done in MDCx by changing the colors in the Texture Editor to an actual color match for British Army Green. Here is the result. When Dirk answers my email I will share the model. Next I am going to tackle the Landrover. His website is no longer there so I hope that he still is on his email. Unlike the Defender I found no attached effects for lights which I will have to add after I hear back. Otherwise we'll just drive around in the daytime and hope it "passes annual inspection" LOL!

View attachment 82094

View attachment 82095

Nice Volvo! :ernaehrung004:

Thank you, MZee.
Due to the amount of effort the FSX version will come soon but with some restrictions (seasons, some less animations). And the train will not be animated unfortunately...

Hi everybody,

sorry to say, but due to my limited spare time and the season, all my projects are stopped for unforeseeable time. Will report back to you when proceeding...

Back