• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Aeroplane Heaven C-47/DC-3 is out!

Not yet in my store this 1.1. Anybody has it?

I've got it - bought directly from Aeroplane Heaven and they sent me an e-mail with download links. I'm having some issues with it but I think they're related to system problems - so no verdict yet. I'll report back after I've done some troubleshooting.

The use of GTN in our C-47 is entirely optional at the owner's discretion. The standard default mode is with Sperry Gyro Pilot.

I've got it - bought directly from Aeroplane Heaven and they sent me an e-mail with download links. I'm having some issues with it but I think they're related to system problems - so no verdict yet. I'll report back after I've done some troubleshooting.

Alan- thanks for this. As you know, I'm a huge DC-3 fan and want to move on this, but there do not seem to be many detailed photos of the VC and commentary on her flight characteristics. Looking forward to your report once you have it sorted.

C

Does manual have update for startup procedure?
Im still waiting for update 1.1 in my store, but ok, it was the weekend, maybe Today! :)

I made some tests and found these issues:

The Magnetos do not work right...
With the switch initially at OFF this happens:
Set to OFF: Left is OFF, Right is OFF --> Correct
Set to LEFT: Left is ON, Right is OFF --> Correct
Set to RIGHT: Left is ON , Right is ON --> Wrong !! Left should be OFF
Set to BOTH: Left is ON , Right is ON --> Correct

Now turning opposite:
Set to BOTH: Left is ON , Right is ON --> Correct
Set to RIGHT: Left is ON , Right is OFF --> Wrong !! Left should be OFF and Right be ON
Set to LEFT: Left is OFF, Right is OFF --> Wrong !! Left should be ON and Right be OFF
Set to OFF: LEFT: Left is OFF, Right is OFF --> Correct

The problem with FSX/P3D Magnetos is that they aren´t that easy to set, at least not the way it would make sense.
The currrent code for the AH DC3 magnetos are embedded in the interior Model and cannot be fixed without building a new model file.
I know that the most safe way to set the magentos are via the increase/decrease magneto event's, and either do this directly, or via a cose that uses the logic of the currently set magneto combination.

Also the new 2D panel for setting Cold & Dark etc.. has some errors with certain internal P3D switch settings, as well as some missing inorder to sync it to the sim.

At some point I saw both Alternators being OFF, which they never should be as long as there aren´t any switches in the VC for them.

i have buy the bundle from JF ........
outside models are beautyfull,cockpit is ok.........but the look at the mixture levers are a pain,is there a way to get them free to move?

also the sound on my system is very strange,sounds like via telephone(i have this only at this plane)any ideas?

cheers
Ralf

Well, I'll file a preliminary report - preliminary because I hope to be able to revise it to something more favorable after I hear back from Aeroplane Heaven, or after some of the reported issues are confirmed and fixed. Right now, I'm not having a very good experience with the airplane.

Full disclosure - as some of you know, I'm a very minor cog in Manfred's team (I've tested some switchology, and I'm the voice of the GCA final controller - my one moment of stardom!) So I have a long history with that version. But I'd really been looking forward to this one in order to have an authentic DC-3 model, and to be able to fit some modern avionics into a vintage cockpit. I'm still looking forward to it - but right now I'm one of the people that can't get the thing started. Engines turn, and number two makes a firing sound, but won't catch - number one doesn't make any sound while it turns over. I'm no stranger to simulated radials, thanks to several A2A products and the Uiver DC-2 among others. But with this one, I've tried every procedure that's been recommended - mags off to start, mags on to start, hold the mesh switch, release the mesh switch - nothing. I'm open to the possibility that it's user error, but I'm not the only person reporting this and I'm at a loss to know what the error might be. I'm wondering if some of the coding issues that Wothan flagged might be to blame.

Other observations during those startup attempts - I like the idea of a more procedurally complex cockpit, but in practice the controls are really fiddly. I agree with banjoman1960's observation about the mixture levers - it takes a bit of work to grab the latch with the mouse, then drag the lever to the correct detent without overshooting. In my mind it's more important to simulate the operation of the automixture by moving the hardware levers and having the VC levers snap to a detent, the way they do in Manfred's C-47, the A2A Constellation, and (in the case of throttles) several Airbus simulations. Same goes for operating the landing gear - it's fascinating to know the correct procedure but in practice, it's difficult to look down and reach down under the left seat to the latch, then right-click, left-click and drag the gear handle. I suspect that once I get airborne I'm going to assume a copilot and just use my hardware gear toggle instead.

The hamburger door issue doesn't seem fully settled - to run the GPU, it's not enough to move the VC switch to the "show GPU" position, you've also got to have the crew door open and the ladder visible, otherwise the GPU won't show - or start.

I agree with banjoman that the soundset seem thin.

Again - I'm sorry that this is my first reaction and I really hope I can come back soon with better news, either because issues have been fixed, or my startup errors have been fixed, or both.

Following up on my report regarding the Magnetos, here is an example on how to make it work.
Reason it doesn´t really work is that the Magneto events are toggle switches and not set to On or Off.

Example code for the Engine no.1 Magneto:

(L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 0 ==
if{
(A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
if{
0 (> K:MAGNETO1_LEFT)
}
(A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
if{
0 (> K:MAGNETO1_RIGHT)
}
}
(L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 1 ==
if{
(A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
if{
}
(A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
if{
}
}
(L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 2 ==
if{
(A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
if{
}
(A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
if{
}
}
(L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 3 ==
if{
(A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
if{
}
(A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
if{
}
}

@Wothan -

Am I right that those magneto values in your post are part of the interior.mdl files and therefore can't be edited by non-developer civilians like myself?

Back