Hello,
Since last time, I haven’t given much news, I apologize for that, but as much as I love 3D and XML coding, the 2D graphics part is quite difficult and painful for me.
First, I made a list of the diffuse textures I used: there were between 120 and 130.
So I started by creating a working directory for each type of texture and I applied the following workflow:
- opening each "diffuse" file from P3D with
ShaderMap PRO version 4 (payware under $30) to create the basic files I needed:
- Albedo,
- Ambient Occlusion,
- Displacement,
- Metallicc,
- Roughness and
- Normal DirectX.
- With
ORM-Maker (freeware that can be find on FSDeveloper) I then built a COMP file with the AO, Roughness, and Metallic for each set of texture.
- Finally, it was necessary to modify the materials of all the Blender files :
- 3 cockpits (Vintage, Modern, Firefighter),
- 4 interior (DC-4, DC4-SAAF, C-54E & C-54S)
- 4 exterior (DC-4, DC4-SAAF, C-54E & C-54S)
- 3 airport environment files (Services, Cargo & Firefighter)
to enter the resulting textures in the correct slots of the MSFS plugin in Blender (some of them need also a Emissive texture for the night envionment).
These textures are not perfect because the automatic generation does not treat several objects differently on the same "diffuse" file, but it allowed me to have a complete project and work files allowing me in a next step to improve each point that could be modified.
For the 4 exterior fuselages, the paintkit has been finalized (wireframe and PSD (photoshop) / XCF(Gimp) file) and I started working on the layer "panel & fasteners" to draw the lines and rivets. It’s a long and tiring job that takes me a lot of time. So I work one or two hours per day and I return on this step every day. Most of this stuf was made with Texture Paint plugin under Blender so I can now paint rivets on the fuselage under blender.
Only the fuselage textures are 8K: as you can see, the paintkit is very close of the old one, you have to simply increase the old layers to 4K to 6963x6963 pixels, move theen this part in the left upper corner and it's all (the upper and bottom of the fuselage are located in the place available between the 6K zone and the supplement to reach 8K).

This allowed me to find about twenty errors in materials that had not been built correctly and that caused warnings in the logs during the construction of executables.
I also flew with these aircraft and tested their behavior so that I could fix about ten ModelBehaviors that did not take into account specific initialization or exit cases from the simulator:
- prevent the display of the gustlock when you change of aircraft during a session,
- reaction time of the needle regarding the flaps indicator has been slowed down in order to make it more consistent (LAG = 0.5)
- thresholds for lighting the oil pressure indicators have been decreased (Templates) while waiting to review this aspect of the simulation
- etc ...
For the past two days I’ve been trying to see if I can "visually" modify the COMPs with Ucupaint (change the metallic aspect or the roughness of certain objects directly in Blender with sliders usage) rather than doing it manually and then testing afetr lauching the simu, which is very time-consuming.
Some details have been added as:
- Headphones for the pilot and first officer are located on the VC and they are undisplayed when the gustlock is remove befor the run up.
- Luggages and sweets are in the crew bulk if you increase the values of some payloads in the UI interface
- Glass have been added on each gauge (no scratch or wear on theses parts, just a light reflection).
