• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Good News Aeroplane Heavens B-17F Out

Workin on the props. The texture used for the side prop effect makes for the venetian blind effect sorry to say. :disturbed:

attachment.php

If you want to lose the "venetian" effect you can quite easily but it means no dimension to the side view. In the texture folder you will find a file called prop_blurbody_t and if I remember correctly we also included the PSD file for it too. Just reduce the alpha to solid black and the venetians will disappear. Can't say the same for the Romans or the Greeks though.:engel016::biggrin-new:

If you want to lose the "venetian" effect you can quite easily but it means no dimension to the side view. In the texture folder you will find a file called prop_blurbody_t and if I remember correctly we also included the PSD file for it too. Just reduce the alpha to solid black and the venetians will disappear. Can't say the same for the Romans or the Greeks though.:engel016::biggrin-new:

Great job on the v1.1 update, Baz. I'm also keeping the original. Who knows, it could command $10,000 in the collectibles market 10 years from now. :triumphant:

Seriously liking this B-17F , last night, could not help myself and "TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH" was the must to watch ! after a flight :encouragement:

Fresnel_ramp is the word, Baz.. :smile:

Paintkit problem

I have been flying this for a week or so now and it is great. I have a specific repaint I want to do but have had no luck at all with the paintkit. I have done a lot of repainting of the A2A B17 with no problems for the 91st BG where I am a member. Now that my "Bomb Boogie" can be done on an "F" like it is supposed to be I want to repaint it. Every time I save the psd both in Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo X2 to a bmp and open in DXT1BMP and save as a dds DXT5 it turns the cockpit and the aircraft black like the wrong model is being used. Tried all three models. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or if it looks like I'm not...give me a texture file with no markings on an od B17F I would really appreciate it. Obviously I own this, bought it from PCAviator on 10% off Tuesday or the texture would be useless so no piracy here. I also wrote this same problem to Aeroplane heaven and waiting for a response. thank you. AH just responded and they have really been trying to help but it just doesn't work whatever. I did all his suggestions. The Nvidia 64 bit plugin for my Adobe Photoshop CS which is old doesn't give me dds format to save and the 32 bit which DOES give a dds doesn't work with my 64 bit system. Next I found a psd to dds conversion program and used it no luck, black airplane in fsx. Can someone here please create me a nice new od factory fresh fuse1t, fuse2t, fuse4t and fuse5t files in dds compatible with the AH B17 texture files that I can save in it and I will be good to go to do my repainting. Everything else in the folders is usable for new textures. Thank you. I have spent 6 hours of frustration with no results.

Last edited:
I use an old version of potoshop and I've never got on very well with saving my edited texture as dds using the plugins. I use a freeware program by Martyn Wright called DXTbmp and that works well for me. You load the texture into DXTbmp...send it to your paint program, edit it, reload into DXTbmp then save it from there as a adds. May work better for you as it does for me.

I've been flying the B17 from RAF Bassingbourn, which was the home of 91st BG during WW11. It's available from www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk and sits well in GenX scenery for the UK.
I could take some screenshots if anybody would like to check it out.

I have volume 1 Action Stations, which tells me that "there were great names among their Fortresses ... Jack the Ripper .. Stric Nine .. Oklahoma Okie .. and the most famous of them all .. Memphis Belle"

Den.

Thank you for posting those, Gray Eagle!

She is a very rare bird, as there are only three (original) B-17F's surviving today - "Homesick Angel", "Boeing Bee", and of course "Memphis Belle". Note that the "cheek" blisters on the nose are correct to this aircraft, and there were many B-17F's produced with those cheek blisters before the B-17G (of which they are usually associated) ever came about. For one of the best B-17F paint schemes (my personal favorite of them all), "Sweet and Lovely", it had the same setup.

4155335486_3c20c7e720_b.jpg

Joe, I love the RAF coastal patrol paint scheme! Although it wouldn't be correct for the type, there has been some in the UK that have voiced that they would love to see "Sally B" repainted, at least for a season or two, in that same type of RAF coastal patrol markings.

I have been flying this for a week or so now and it is great. I have a specific repaint I want to do but have had no luck at all with the paintkit. I have done a lot of repainting of the A2A B17 with no problems for the 91st BG where I am a member. Now that my "Bomb Boogie" can be done on an "F" like it is supposed to be I want to repaint it. Every time I save the psd both in Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo X2 to a bmp and open in DXT1BMP and save as a dds DXT5 it turns the cockpit and the aircraft black like the wrong model is being used. Tried all three models. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or if it looks like I'm not...give me a texture file with no markings on an od B17F I would really appreciate it. Obviously I own this, bought it from PCAviator on 10% off Tuesday or the texture would be useless so no piracy here. I also wrote this same problem to Aeroplane heaven and waiting for a response. thank you. AH just responded and they have really been trying to help but it just doesn't work whatever. I did all his suggestions. The Nvidia 64 bit plugin for my Adobe Photoshop CS which is old doesn't give me dds format to save and the 32 bit which DOES give a dds doesn't work with my 64 bit system. Next I found a psd to dds conversion program and used it no luck, black airplane in fsx. Can someone here please create me a nice new od factory fresh fuse1t, fuse2t, fuse4t and fuse5t files in dds compatible with the AH B17 texture files that I can save in it and I will be good to go to do my repainting. Everything else in the folders is usable for new textures. Thank you. I have spent 6 hours of frustration with no results.

Why not use the image tool packaged with the SDK which is/was distributed by Microsoft? That's what we do. The PSDs are quite normal layered PSDs. Just turn off the paint guides (multi-coloured areas and you have a plain livery with no markings.

I am going to say here that we do not have the time to spend on individual requests and orders. We have had a lot and frankly if we did spend the time we would not be producing anything else for some time to come!

The paintkit is a free accessory and not a mandatory part of this package. It does not fall under "bugs" or "faults" In fact developers are not duty bound to provide paintkits at all. They are just something that has come about of over the years. Also a pricepoint dictates just how much "customer service" we can provide. Happy to fix bugs, help with issues and so on but the line has to be drawn somewhere on a $22 product. We produce regular patches and upgrades as many of you will know, as part of our policy. These are produced as a result of collecting comment and suggestions over a period of time. But no, we will not be issuing almost daily revisions, that would be insanely time-consuming. Neither can we keep communicating on a one-to-one basis for more than a few emails, it is just too much fa draw on our time.

You will see from around here that others are coping extremely well with the pant-kit. It is not faulty or poorly produced. It is, however, produced for people with some Photoshop experience. Layer management is Photoshop basics. We are not here to teach people Photoshop technique.

Right, having got that out I am loving the schemes people are doing, I was hoping that the ones already appearing would be done by someone. The B17F came in a bewildering array of flavours ( I believe they got up to a -75 or thereabouts) and it is near impossible to end up with an historically accurate aircraft but a representation of a livery is just great in my book.

Lastly thankyou to the many who have purchased this product, it is hugely encouraging knowing as I do, just how much work went into this project.:engel016:

RAF Bassingbourn

Just a couple of shots of Memphis Belle overhead RAF Bassingbourn, which was her home base in the UK during WW11.

belle1.jpg

belle2.jpg

Thanks to Ian Pearson for the scenery.

Den.

Back