KPLN Pellston MI

Ok,

I replaced everything in SODE and Scenery with what you just offered and was worse off then before. Then I removed all that and restored what was in my trash basket and now I have those three flags
and in the location of that whatever bldg and looks to be in same location as the xplane version as well.

If I add a enough wind to make the flag unfurl, the middle one will disappear altogether until I lower the wind speed then, the middle flag comes back but then there is not enough wind to make all three flags
fly in the wind.

Capture.jpg

If I adjust wind speed as indicated below, results are shown above i.e. middle pole is gone
Capture2.jpg

If I lower the wind speed all three poles will appear but not fly.
Capture.jpg

If I lower wind speed as per below, all three flags appear but not flying.

Capture1.jpg

BTW I upgraded to the latest version of SODE.

That same USA flag is also used in front of the lodge will also disappear if you raise the wind speed enough to make it fly in the wind. If you reduce it to zero, it will reappear. Strange.

Capture.jpg

That Was The Corrected Files

I have not tried all three at all wind speeds once I got them to wave at 8kts. I will do that later and see if I get the same results you do. Also here is the new windsock which will be in a new update later with a brand new pole. I am also to redo the wind circle to the ones that are in the real photo.

mqBVdDK.jpeg

Must Be The Sim

There must be something in Prepar3D V5.4 and not Prepar3D V4.5 because as you can see below I increased wind speed to 24 knots and didn't lose the US Flag which is "the middle flag" which has NEVER been a problem. I don't know what to say. I had to make the new files because at any speed BUT still which is below 4 knots in the xml SODE the outer two flags disappeared and only the US flag in the middle was visible. I also just got through with two hours of fixing the hold short enhanced GP markings on the taxiways one by one to face in the right way. When I have "so much fun" with an airport I feel like letting someone else make the airports but then it is so satisfying when I share them and people get them fixed, like them and fly them. Now that I deleted all the ADEx Hold short marks I gotta go and see if the ai works or not again. In which case I may just not use any ai. I would rather have a good looking airport than use the default Hold Shorts just to get ai as cool as it is to watch. NOW GOOD NIGHT TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.:wavey:

[FONT=&quot]
NyKNwTb.jpeg
[/FONT]

I too have 4.5 and for spits and grins thought I'd give KPLN a go and the same missing usa flag pole with winds dialed in (just like 5.4). With no winds, the USA flag and pole appear.

I know.....I know....it works for you and no idea why this happens for me....Just an FYI.....sigh..... Guess I will not use any wind speed.

Capture.jpg

One thing I noticed is that the lamp posts appear in P3D V4.5 - in 5.4 only the lamp shows and not the pole(s).
Capture1.jpg

I referred the flag issue to AVSIM. There is a SODE forum but I am not registered there nor desire to be. Hopefully, someone over there (or here) may have a solution for the flag issue.

When It Works One Place

I referred the flag issue to AVSIM. There is a SODE forum but I am not registered there nor desire to be. Hopefully, someone over there (or here) may have a solution for the flag issue.
Good idea. When I get it to work or the opposite when someone else can't create the problem you are having it's very hard to correct I know you agree. Down below is the latest version for Prepar3D versions 4,5 and 6. Add the unzipped folder to your Addon scenery. Then open up the sim and in the scenery area delete your current KPLN. Save and close down the sim. Reopen the sim; go to scenery and add KPLN and you should have all the HOLD SHORT correct and the dashed line down the center of the runways.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8kled0tyxw9n499/KPLN+Pellston+Airport+MI+V3.zip/file

Issues Addressed But Not Fixed

I was able to load the multipurpose building into Model Converter X and after much, much object merging load the US Flag which I converted from a SODE mdl to a P3D bgl. Never was able to get it to upload the textures. After three hours I just said NUTS!!! it can have empty flagpoles since the model is all one piece and no way to remove them. Matthias sent me a Collada dae which after tweaking in MDCx I opened up in Sketchup. I was able to isolate the bare flagpoles and remove them but before I saved and exported it I noticed that not all the textures were on the building. There is no logical reason why because they open up in MDCx fine and they are all on one compiled sheet. So, the Multipurpose building will have bare poles. Next, I opened up the bgl of the floodlight in Model Converter X and the red and white pole is in there. I thought that maybe it was not visible because the texture was missing but it is in the texture folder. So here is another issue of I dunno and at this point I may delete the floodlights over the parking lot again NUTS!!! Don't fly in or out of Pellston at night and you won't have to go to your car in a dark parking lot if I remove them. LOL!!! I am kinda tired of unexplainable errors and blame them all on Microsoft and Windows 10 which works how and when it wants on MY DELL. Enjoy the latest V3 Version. Thanks for your input and patience with its creation.

Last edited:
Richard,

In spite of all the trials and tribulations you have faced with putting together this airport scenery, I still appreciate your efforts with the fixes and updates to it.

At first, when I read your post below, I wasn't sure as to what all the info was about and thought maybe you are trying to fix the disappearing USA flag when the breeze hits it.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but in the author of the KNQA scenery managed to have a flag pole with two flags on it and it would fly with a breeze on it. Thing of it
is, it didn't use and SODE so I don't know how it responds to wind. Maybe the flags were developed in Sketchup I don't know that much about it, I've heard of it and saw a utube
vid on it but it looks daunting to me. I doubt that anyone will respond from FSdeveloper about my "now you see it and now you don't" USA flag (depending on wind conditions)
And in P3D V4.5 it behaves the same way for me. I know that is odd an you claim it works just dandy for you. :dizzy:

I was able to load the multipurpose building into Model Converter X and after much, much object merging load the US Flag which I converted from a SODE mdl to a P3D bgl. Never was able to get it to upload the textures. After three hours I just said NUTS!!! it can have empty flagpoles since the model is all one piece and no way to remove them. Matthias sent me a Collada dae which after tweaking in MDCx I opened up in Sketchup. I was able to isolate the bare flagpoles and remove them but before I saved and exported it I noticed that not all the textures were on the building. There is no logical reason why because they open up in MDCx fine and they are all on one compiled sheet. So, the Multipurpose building will have bare poles. Next, I opened up the bgl of the floodlight in Model Converter X and the red and white pole is in there. I thought that maybe it was not visible because the texture was missing but it is in the texture folder. So here is another issue of I dunno and at this point I may delete the floodlights over the parking lot again NUTS!!! Don't fly in or out of Pellston at night and you won't have to go to your car in a dark parking lot if I remove them. LOL!!! I am kinda tired of unexplainable errors and blame them all on Microsoft and Windows 10 which works how and when it wants on MY DELL. Enjoy the latest V3 Version. Thanks for your input and patience with its creation.

Since FSDeveloper Is My Guru

Certainly try and get help there as I often do. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there. He mentions though about uploading it in ADE which will not show him anything about the flags. There is a download for animated flags at AVSIM which was the basis for my SODE flags with the Dietmar Loleit, the developer's permission. It is very possible that those are the flags at KNQA. I have two flags on one pole (with FSDeveloper help) for KDTO airport in Texas. The reason for using SODE is that when there is any wind below 4 knots there is a STILL FLAG. If you open up the xml in Notepad or Notepad++ you will see how they are programmed and why you can see flags with no wind and no flag(s) with wind 5 knots or above. There are two different simobjects for each flag. Also the flag at Pellston Lodge is unique to the lodge because the xml has to be positioned by latitude and longitude of the flag (or windsock or lawnmower etc.). Again even though SODE uses the same xml coding for both FSX and P3D versions, it reacts differently and don't ask me why. There was never a problem at FSX with the flags. The AVSIM which are scenery objects with a scenery bgl and textures only wave. They do not follow the wind direction or speed. They JUST wave. I used them for a long while and then asked over at FSDevelopers how I could do what I do with the flags. Like at my military installations, the flag is raised (becomes visible) at 0800 local and is lowered (becomes invisible only the pole) at sunset which varies. I am crazy enough that I can find out when sunset is by season from a USMC download I found online. I did this first at NAS Alameda and with effects I play the national anthem when it is raised and "retreat" when it is lowered. SODE is the ONLY way to do this. Alameda is probably the most complex airport scenery that I ever did and had help from three other guys. It was a six month continuous project for FSX. I didn't know anything about ooms or fps when I created it and a lot of disappointed guys didn't have the memory to run it. The base closure report of umpteen pages had colored photos of nearly every building and street on base. That was back in 2016. That was the first time you ever commented to one of my posts, Butch. Time flies, wow 7 years together here.

As I Wrote

Here is latest info at Fsdeveloper about the SODE info - new stuff at bottom of link.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/641991-animated-flags-in-sode/?tab=comments#comment-5062492
In my last post download of the latest and updated windsock, it has both the windsock, the new pole and all textures to duplicate the all orange one in the photo from the actual airport. The xml code calls up the simobject by name. I used the same name with the new data in it. If you remember, I sent you a replacement with the gray pole a few days ago before I found the real photo which you no longer need because of the new windsock uploaded yesterday. I don't know what kind of a control panel he is showing/referring to. Windows 10 has Apps System Settings not Control Panel. I just posted a reply over at FSDevelopers AVSIM.

I Dunno

Since I taxied around the entire airport in both FSX and Prepar3D V4.5 yesterday fixing all the HOLD SHORT so that they faced the right way, I don't have a clue what that is. The airport somehow in ADE lost the flatten which is probably what happened so here are three more bgls to replace those in your scenery folder. IF the three bgls are not identical to these then delete what is in the folder and paste these in place of them.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/t9048uozdfpvp0m/KPLN+BGLS+V4.zip/file :dizzy:

New Segmented Wind Circle

If you notice the photo I posted on page 2 of the windsock you will notice as I did that the wind circle at Pellston is NOT concrete blocks like many of the older ones are. I want this to be as accurate as possible after all the work I put into it and the time and trouble to fix the problems. I went online last night and Googled the segmented circle markers and was able to find one of the companies that make them. Online they had a download of the engineering drawing of its construction as well as a nice color photo. I went to work and after a few hours on Sketchup and Engineering Toolbox I was able to create the exact frame with the square structural tubing and angle steel for the bracing. After Bible and prayers and a shower this morning, I finished attaching the aluminum sheets to finish up a segment. Created a 100 foot circle in Sketchup and after an hour of placing the 24 segments properly spaced and positioned here is the result. I am happy to share it with other airport designers as a thank you for all their help in the past. As soon as I package it you will find it to download in the Warbirds Library. It does NOT contain a windsock because of the varieties in color and style. Mine at KPLN as you know are SODE objects. You can place a default windsock or other windsock object with Airport Design Editor if you don't want to use SODE.

gn2LT1S.jpeg

I've been just copying all the updates into the KPLN folder & ended up with 9 variations of the bgl's.
I've deleted them all & now have only the 3 that was updated today.(KPLN_ADEP4HS_RRL..)
Am I OK with that? or is a complete new install neccessary?

(Phew)

Regards,
Robin

Problems

I've been just copying all the updates into the KPLN folder & ended up with 9 variations of the bgl's.
I've deleted them all & now have only the 3 that was updated today.(KPLN_ADEP4HS_RRL..)
Am I OK with that? or is a complete new install neccessary?

(Phew)

Regards,
Robin

Whenever you get an update of an airport bgl you should always delete the old one first because obviously your computer was not asking you if you should overwrite the old one and you ended up with confusing (to P3D) airport bgls, scenery object bgls etc. I apologize if I didn't make it clear in the README's before. I fell into the trap that so many of us with experience in areas do and that is expecting everyone else to know how to do what we do. That frustrates me when someone expects me to know how to do something they do and I don't. I hope that all is working now for you and that you can have fun with it. I have just loaded a flight into my computer in a new free Beech P35 after watching a video teaching ATC comms and that is what they were in last night. It's always good to learn more. I was able to convert it with MDCx to P3D V4.5 native from FSX including the VC I was so excited. I would like to share it and am sending an email to the designer for permission. If he agrees then I will post it in the Library with the popup radio panel created for it because though nice his VC radios for me were hard to see.

Thanks, all working now..
Sorry for being such a pain, but I'm still getting issues with SODE
I do have it in 12bPilot

I'm getting a big X where the flags should be.
In SODE
cfg folder is empty
SimObjects has the following:
SODE_AM US_FLAG
SODE_EC_FLAG
SODE_KPLN_WINDSOCK
SODE_MI_FLAG
US_FLAG_STILL
XML has the following:
KPLN_AM_US_FLAG.xml &
SODE_KPLN_WINDSOCK1-5.xml
then there are the 3 ini config settings.

I'm not sure where I went wrong..
Any ideas?

Back