No more add-on scenery allowed!

ScottishMike1

Members +
I had been wondering if there was a limit to the number of sceneries allowed in FS9 and now it looks like I've reached it!
I was attempting to install some Taiwan scenery and on starting FS9 to test it I got the following message:
scenery cfg.jpg
I was actually loading scenery number 2089, so I have had no problems up to then so "about 1000" appears a bit pessimistic.
The max would appear to be 2088. From now on I will only be able to load new scenery if I delete some old first.
It would appear it makes no difference if the scenery is active or not.
 
I've often combined the Scenery & Texture folders from one scenery into another.
No harm at all. (so far). Maybe create a backup just in case?
 
Do you have sceneries of different eras in the same scenery.cfg? If that might be the case, so eventually consider to split them in separate addon folders. I have about forty (!) of them, which are steared with the same number of separate scenery.cfg files. So no incompabilities between North Beach and JFK!

Bernard
 
If I'm only adding a single AFCAD BGL, it goes in the addon scenery/scenery folder.
I can still find it later in case there's a conflict.

Aircraft Carrier scenery (and its flatten BGLs) can be touchy, but let's just say that my Carriers 2006 scenery folder and its associated Flatten scenery folder have a lot more BGLs from when I first installed it. :geek: If its scenery that uses multiple BGLs, I'll add a separate group to my scenery.cfg file and add the folders as they were downloaded.

The only time I got burned was when I added the MAIW Nellis AFB package. My runways for Nellis disappeared, which is OK because I don't fly out of there. I think the AFCAD for that scenery is for FSX, nothing else explains it.. I still keep the whole package installed because I like the updates it did to the Nav map. :indecisiveness:
 
Last edited:
I've often combined the Scenery & Texture folders from one scenery into another.
No harm at all. (so far). Maybe create a backup just in case?

Me too. I started that back in the days of FS2002, after I found that adding too many sceneries led to the scenery.cfg getting scrambled. I don't remember how many that was, but it was nowhere near 10000. I think it might have been just 100.
 
Thanks Bernard (leuen) and Robin (zswobbie1)(y), I was not sure how multiple scenery.cfg files would play with the Scenery Config Editor (by Andrew Thornton) that I use, so for the moment all the Taiwan sceneries I downloaded (thanks to wolfbee89, he feeds my habit...) are hosted in one of my Japan sceneries.
It had 8 BGLs in its Scenery folder, now it has 268:oops:. I made sure I documented what BGLs are for what airport. But it all works.

It was more of a challenge getting the Taiwan sceneries to play ball with the Okinawa and associated islands scenery already installed (the southern most island is only about 40 miles from Taiwan):banghead:. But it’s all working now.

As sbob said I need to hunt out any single Afcads that have the luxury of a scenery.cfg entry and dump them in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder so I have some head room for the next scenery I must have. Am I the only FS9 scenery and aircraft hoarder?😧
 
...(thanks to wolfbee89, he feeds my habit...) are hosted in one of my Japan sceneries.
...head room for the next scenery I must have. Am I the only FS9 scenery and aircraft hoarder?😧
that was not nor ever has been my intention

...concerning the second remark, I remember remarking elsewhere that FS2004 scenery library collecting is akin to building the virtual equivalent of hobbyist miniature model world and like a jigsaw puzzle, one has to troubleshoot and configure until all the puzzle pieces fit nicely together and play along nicely; and top that up with AI; and then further top that up with an aircraft hangar...and then it feels like one has the entire aviation history at their fingertips and the ability to fly to anywhere, anytime.

I suppose one of the great things about FS2004, is that the base memory requirements of the default install are so low that there is enough VAS available, for FS2004 with the 4-gb patch on a modern setup, to handle vis-a-vis the more than 2000 sceneries by way of your example with all the added graphics - HD eye-candy / bells & whistles (to have a virtual world to your tastes and liking) and still have the sim run like butter, and this is very much not the case for FSX; not to mention all the parallel era installs from the earliest days of aviation to the 21st century and everything in between - all in all, highly customizable and highly configurable, and again not possible to the same extent where FSX is concerned, and why many continue to use FS2004...so you're not alone, really ;)

Finally, I wished to add that FS2004 really was the highlight of the golden age of flight simulations, with interest in flight simulations waning after the closure of ACES; and which presumably has returned with the newest MSFS series, but again not nigh to the same extent, as was in the 2000s - really the best of times

cheers!
 
I guess I've always enjoyed modelling, I had a large model layout in the attic till the cleaning and upkeep became too much.
Besides in flight sim we can travel the whole world. Not just limited to five stations...
20andpwagons.jpg
RWsmall.jpg
 
speaking of Japanese sceneries, in the event, it is not already known:

mesh https://www.flightinfo.jp/jtms/files/files.html

landclass - for the whole country https://www.flightinfo.jp/jtms/biwako/index.html

Shigeo 'shige' Ishii's photoreal Japan city sceneries that are still available to download thanks to the wayback machine @ web archive:
Tokyo https://web.archive.org/web/20160105173302fw_/http://fsx.o.oo7.jp/TKOfs9.htm
Yokohama https://web.archive.org/web/20160105174455fw_/http://fsx.o.oo7.jp/YKHfs9.htm
Nagoya https://web.archive.org/web/20160105175704fw_/http://fsx.o.oo7.jp/NGYfs9.htm
Kobe https://web.archive.org/web/20160105181537/http://homepage3.nifty.com/fsx/KOBfs9.htm
Osaka https://web.archive.org/web/20160105175143/http://homepage3.nifty.com/fsx/OSKfs9.htm

and with respect to airport sceneries in Japan, aside from the payware Overland Japanese Airports Vol 1-9 @ simmarket, there is also https://www.flightinfo.jp/souea/sc00.htm (as also noted at https://freewarescenery.com/fs2004/japan.html ) and https://www.flightinfo.jp/sfs/

also not to forget John Stinstrom's freeware photoreal Haneda https://library.avsim.net/extsearch...uthor]=Stinstrom&extended_search[category]=44

and on an entirely different note, Ishii's most up-to-date photoreal Las Vegas release https://web.archive.org/web/20160105181942/http://homepage3.nifty.com/fsx/LVfs9.htm

cheers!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top