• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

P3dv5 - flying boats and amphibians

B314 Updated

The updated version of the B314 is now available see the thread on the B314 elsewhere here.

Here is the B314 at Daryl's Island in Bermuda

2Bin7YM.jpg

FB Scenery Package B314 Routes

Sometime ago I put in the library my Flying Boat Bases package which covers a lot but not all of the flying boat bases from this period (Well the Imperial Airways, Pan AM and RAF ones). They were originally done for FSX but in the main part worked just fine in P3DV5 providing you have all the relevant library's from others installed in your addon scenery directory or where ever you keep them (the list and which ones is covered in the notes with the package) without those libaries you will not see many of the objects etc but the locatiosn were all done using ADE so they are proper airport locations and come up in P3D without issues. I am going to rework these all and try and get back an number that had a bgl format that P3D did not like (obscure WW2 places) but it is a WIP.

Any for those with lots of time on their hands who want to fly the B314 routes (same as all the other types flew long over water flying) here are some shots of some of the bases in P3D for information.

The first is Kingmans Reef in the Pacific - you need to use lat and long of the reef to find it.

Efkjbxv.jpg

This is the Pan Am Base at Pearl Harbour
8CD782Q.jpg

FB Scenery Package Locations

Here is Treasure Island in San Francisco (missing Hangars for some reason at moment)
uE8qsht.jpg

This is Plum Point Port Washington NYC the Pan Am Base (they also had a marine terminal at La Guardia - not done)
l0jF8cU.jpg

and Botwood in New Foundland
dtbDnlu.jpg

I think they call this a SORD of Mallards. Here a 3 more that now grace the P3D world.

2WbzU3D.jpg

Flysimware's Widgeon (Thanks to Wombat666 for reminding me about this one.

9VbAYIG.jpg

Milton Schupes Piston Mallard (I am using the FSX version without issues have some hiccups with the P3D version)

PpsQlL7.jpg

Milton Schupes Turbine Mallard (Again FSX version with no issues)

Beriev BE-6 Released

The Beriev BE-6 for FSX/P3D has been released you can find it at SimAviation. A good collection of paints come with the package. Nicely done. Alas no english guages but is not that hard to work out!

Somewhere near Kamchatka - scenery from AvsimRu.

h9zNJUf.jpg

Gray Eagle - is that the old Virtavia Mariner? There were promises of a new one by others some time ago but no progress seems to have been made on it - shame!. Like the scenery background have not seen that before!

Ah I will have to go look for it! There was addon scenery with the Beriev some Russian ships, subs and oil platforms - guess I have to go and find them as well in the either they are in Baltiysk, Kaliningrad. and the oil rig are in the area of the Kamchatka peninsula - Bit of maritime search work fun!

A couple more in P3Dv5.

452D5n.jpg

Love to see a proper update for the SeaBee but doubt that will ever happen!

4kVxDP.jpg

The Alphasim G111 is another welcome surprise, while the HU16 works as well, even if the colours look a little washed out.

:encouragement:

Well the Grumman Group is now very well represented. Took me ages to find where I had hidden the Alabatross and put it back into the sim. In the same hidey hole was the OZX Goose Redux. Also a goer now in P3DV5.

S5cVg8p.jpg

I forgot the Sunderlands, they are very well done. Only issue I had was the MK1 model will not display.

SRsghxz.jpg

0UdcnPW.jpg

xX1v2XA.jpg

Hi BendyFlyer,

I read part of the post below:

WIP - A small team (From SOH members) is rebuilding and converting JBK's Sandringham, My Sunderland conversion of the Hythe, and then the Solent 3 and 4. The Scythe and Calcutta to be looked at as well much later on. The models have to be converted, panels and gauges updated etc to work with P3DV5 so a lot of work but it is happening.

I am a huge fan of Sunderlands and basically everything that Short built. I was wondering what the progress was and if any are available to download.

Thanks,

Jonno

Jonno - We have done a basic conversion of the Solent 3 and 4 and the Sandringham and the MK V Sunderland The Sunderland was an older FSX conversion of the JBK Hythe to a MK V (RNZAF). The work we did was rudimentary in some aspects. I will talk to the others involved and we should be able to release these, particularly the Sandringham not sure about the Sunderland. The Sunderland I reworked in FSX is very specifically a MKV as used by the Kiwis. There was the other marks of the Sunderland done (the pictures you posted) also by Lazarus which is available on SimAviation and yes I did get the MK 1 to work. I would like to do more with the Sunderland but Lazarus released that great package of the earlier and WW2 Sunderlands - so we sort of put it on the backburner for awhile.

I thought the Solents need a lot more work which is why they were not released either.

We also tidied up the Shorts S23 from my FSX rebuild (the FSX is also available in the SOH Library) to sort out the issues. Lazrus did these as well and released them so we did not proceed further except for our own use. But my VC's or panels ported across into the Lazarus version without any issues.

The conversion work is not easy because these models never had interior models which P3D demands, and then there is the guage work which has to be 64 bit compliant as well. Lights and lighting for all of them is still a problem and not easily solved without a huge amount of work.

Lazrazus has many changes to a lot of these JBK flying boats which have been released on SimAviation as well - the S5 and S8 and S23. Lazarus has also tackled the issue of flying boats and amphitbians and the issue of contact points and getting the flying boats to properly get up on the step and plane (he has provided extensive notes on this in one of the releases of his modified for P3D versions) They do plane properly I have to admit but I prefer my S23 because the original work fixed up the various differences between the various Marks of the S23 with respect to fuel tanks, instrumentation etc so they were authentic as possible to the originals when they flew.

So they did all progress well and some could be released I will talk to the others and see if they want to finish off a few things! COVID and other projects has got in the way. Some of us having been doing some work for some payware folk -minor but more contributing to the finishing work)

I had forgotten what a great job Virtavia did with the Albatross (but the VC could really have done with a lot more stuff that worked but the graphics were first class). Still a fascinating flying boat to get about in!

O7NiHG7.jpg

Jonno - We have done a basic conversion of the Solent 3 and 4 and the Sandringham and the MK V Sunderland The Sunderland was an older FSX conversion of the JBK Hythe to a MK V (RNZAF). The work we did was rudimentary in some aspects. I will talk to the others involved and we should be able to release these, particularly the Sandringham not sure about the Sunderland. The Sunderland I reworked in FSX is very specifically a MKV as used by the Kiwis. There was the other marks of the Sunderland done (the pictures you posted) also by Lazarus which is available on SimAviation and yes I did get the MK 1 to work. I would like to do more with the Sunderland but Lazarus released that great package of the earlier and WW2 Sunderlands - so we sort of put it on the backburner for awhile.

I thought the Solents need a lot more work which is why they were not released either.

We also tidied up the Shorts S23 from my FSX rebuild (the FSX is also available in the SOH Library) to sort out the issues. Lazrus did these as well and released them so we did not proceed further except for our own use. But my VC's or panels ported across into the Lazarus version without any issues.

The conversion work is not easy because these models never had interior models which P3D demands, and then there is the guage work which has to be 64 bit compliant as well. Lights and lighting for all of them is still a problem and not easily solved without a huge amount of work.

Lazrazus has many changes to a lot of these JBK flying boats which have been released on SimAviation as well - the S5 and S8 and S23. Lazarus has also tackled the issue of flying boats and amphitbians and the issue of contact points and getting the flying boats to properly get up on the step and plane (he has provided extensive notes on this in one of the releases of his modified for P3D versions) They do plane properly I have to admit but I prefer my S23 because the original work fixed up the various differences between the various Marks of the S23 with respect to fuel tanks, instrumentation etc so they were authentic as possible to the originals when they flew.

So they did all progress well and some could be released I will talk to the others and see if they want to finish off a few things! COVID and other projects has got in the way. Some of us having been doing some work for some payware folk -minor but more contributing to the finishing work)

Hi BendyFlyer,

The weird thing is, I am unable to find them in the P3D section, only under the FSX -> Vintage section. Or are these the ones you are mentioning above, uploaded by: Goto Dengo, Kuhlmittel and uploader?

Nevertheless, no matter how limited you are in time, please note that the work you and fellow developers put in is much appreciated! Flying boats are really a niche and it is nice to know that people still pay attention to them.

Thanks,

Jonno

Johnnycolt - the S23's are in the FSX section. There are two packages Part 1 and Part 2. (I included my flying boat scenery as well but not a lot of the libraries - see the notes on where to find them). They work without any issue in P3DV5 but there is no addon xml for them. If you want I can make one up for you and post it here if you need it. These two packages cover all the Marks of the S23, basically the changes were in the tanks fitted and it was almost the case that each one produced got a slightly different tank system. The S30 is the same hull but different engines that is all. There are two critical mods a flap warning system and cabin-crew intercom alert system which all the S23's had. The sound package that comes with these is of genuine Pegasus engine sounds that I reworked for to allow for 4 engines - it is distinctively different to your standard pratt and whiiney radial sound. There is detailed documentation included for those interest including how to fly a flying boat on the water and generally. This information is based upon original source documents from the UK and elsewhere (including some pilot accounts) of how to handle and fly these aeroplanes. I will confess the S23 is my favourite aeroplane - its performance is remarkable it is basically STOL which is impressive given it is a big heavy 4 engine flying boat. Shorts knew how to design and build flying boats better than anyone actually!

Here are the links for the S23:
SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 1.zip (sim-outhouse.com)
SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 2.zip (sim-outhouse.com)

The Lazrus's version (at SimAviation) - this retained the original JBK interior and panels etc and cover none of my mods. No reason if you want to alias across my panels into these but the config files are very different due to Lazaruses mods they do not cover the tanks engine power and other little things. They fly the same basically!. If you do a search at Simaviation.com in P3D using the term Sunderland it will bring up Lazarus's Solents, Sandringham, and Sunderland packages - you want the ones marked FSX/P3D not the earlier ones. These all retain the earlier JBK panels and gauges. The solent was always very accurate so there is no need to alter it the Sandringham was not which is why I redid and used the Anseet Sandringham Beachcomber as the guide on the panel which is different. I will release this one because it is good to go.

If you do a search of the same site using the term Shorts it will bring those ones up and the Hythe, S23 and the Singapore. These are all Lazrus versions. I think Lazarus has nailed the planing take off issue correctly but there are issues with the model (the throttles are mismatched in the core model so 1 is 2 2is 3 and 3 is 1 if you get my drift - we fixed this but have not released it. There is a panel mod for it in the Other - look for Short S8 modified in the Warbirds Libaray FSX Other.

I will work on a Sandringham release ( I will talk to Lazarus see if we can do a blend of his and mine) keep you posted in due course. And the same for the Sunderland MKV which as some extra paint jobs in it now (French Aeronavale and RAF.

Johnnycolt - the S23's are in the FSX section. There are two packages Part 1 and Part 2. (I included my flying boat scenery as well but not a lot of the libraries - see the notes on where to find them). They work without any issue in P3DV5 but there is no addon xml for them. If you want I can make one up for you and post it here if you need it. These two packages cover all the Marks of the S23, basically the changes were in the tanks fitted and it was almost the case that each one produced got a slightly different tank system. The S30 is the same hull but different engines that is all. There are two critical mods a flap warning system and cabin-crew intercom alert system which all the S23's had. The sound package that comes with these is of genuine Pegasus engine sounds that I reworked for to allow for 4 engines - it is distinctively different to your standard pratt and whiiney radial sound. There is detailed documentation included for those interest including how to fly a flying boat on the water and generally. This information is based upon original source documents from the UK and elsewhere (including some pilot accounts) of how to handle and fly these aeroplanes. I will confess the S23 is my favourite aeroplane - its performance is remarkable it is basically STOL which is impressive given it is a big heavy 4 engine flying boat. Shorts knew how to design and build flying boats better than anyone actually!

Here are the links for the S23:
SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 1.zip (sim-outhouse.com)
SHORT S23 UPGRADE PACKAGE PART 2.zip (sim-outhouse.com)

The Lazrus's version (at SimAviation) - this retained the original JBK interior and panels etc and cover none of my mods. No reason if you want to alias across my panels into these but the config files are very different due to Lazaruses mods they do not cover the tanks engine power and other little things. They fly the same basically!. If you do a search at Simaviation.com in P3D using the term Sunderland it will bring up Lazarus's Solents, Sandringham, and Sunderland packages - you want the ones marked FSX/P3D not the earlier ones. These all retain the earlier JBK panels and gauges. The solent was always very accurate so there is no need to alter it the Sandringham was not which is why I redid and used the Anseet Sandringham Beachcomber as the guide on the panel which is different. I will release this one because it is good to go.

If you do a search of the same site using the term Shorts it will bring those ones up and the Hythe, S23 and the Singapore. These are all Lazrus versions. I think Lazarus has nailed the planing take off issue correctly but there are issues with the model (the throttles are mismatched in the core model so 1 is 2 2is 3 and 3 is 1 if you get my drift - we fixed this but have not released it. There is a panel mod for it in the Other - look for Short S8 modified in the Warbirds Libaray FSX Other.

I will work on a Sandringham release ( I will talk to Lazarus see if we can do a blend of his and mine) keep you posted in due course. And the same for the Sunderland MKV which as some extra paint jobs in it now (French Aeronavale and RAF.

Hi Bendyflyer,

Awesome work on the S.23! Really like the mods you put in. Great sounds too.

I would also love to fly the Sandringham. Watched the YouTube video again the other day on the Lord Howe line.

Looking forward to the release of both the Sunderland and Sandringham.

Thanks again!

Jonno

Back