• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

UKMIL CH-47 is out...but....

Lateral-G

Chief Test Pilot
UKMIL's new CH-47 is out over at Simviation.

Looks good but there seem to be some missing textures...mainly the rotor blades, rotor hubs and lower surfaces of the fuse. Some textures alos seem to be missing some of the detail textures like for the antenns wires, posts, GPS antenna, etc.

Otherwise it seems to fly pretty well. Be careful if you retract the gear (it doesn't retract) but acts as if it does (you get the forcefeedback thump), especially when you land and forgot to extend it...:redf:

-G-

Getting it now. Hoping it'll work in Dx10.1 preview mode. I have Acceleration so hopefully all the textures will be there.

Damn fine model for freeware:ernae:
ukmilcin-1.jpg

Damn fine model for freeware:ernae:
ukmilcin-1.jpg

Notice the black rotor hubs and other items that seem to be missing textures?

Is this correct?

And yes, I am running FSX/Accel/SP2.

Load some other textures and you'll see the aft cargo door is black and so is the underside.

I agree though, it is a fine piece of freeware.

-G-

the rotor hubs are meant to be black, so no missing textures. in other skins, mainly the Mk1 Camo the underside and Ramp are meant to be black, as this is how they were, so again, no missing textures. as mentioned, it needs SP2

the rotor hubs are meant to be black, so no missing textures. in other skins, mainly the Mk1 Camo the underside and Ramp are meant to be black, as this is how they were, so again, no missing textures. as mentioned, it needs SP2

By 'no missing textures', do you mean there are some mapped to those areas, just painted black, or there aren't any at all, but that's how it's meant to be?

UKMIL's new CH-47 is out over at Simviation.

Be careful if you retract the gear (it doesn't retract) but acts as if it does (you get the forcefeedback thump), especially when you land and forgot to extend it...:redf:

-G-

Appears to be an oversight in the Aircraft.cfg "points" entries for the gear: I was able to disable the retractable gear by zeroing the extension and retraction times, using an Aircraft.cfg from a default helo to determine where these entries were.

There may be a few other oversights, too, like some missing gauge and effects files (at least after my install), and the fuselage reflections seem reversed (light where one might expect shadow with self-shadow turned off??to be confirmed??).

Nice looking model.

Rick

Ok, I'll risk it and offer some constructive criticism.

The fuselage textures are too shiny and the rotor heads are too dark and black and soak up all the light.

Both of these can be fixed very easily with out resorting to complicated specular maps, it is possible to alter the material specularity, I've been told that this is not possible and that the only way to alter specular levels is with a specular texture, try the below tests and see if it helps, it certainly helps here.

Open the model and then open the FSX shader tool, select each material in turn and alter just two parameters, see attached image, the red circled parameter is the brightness of the specular shine, I suspect yours are white or very light grey, military aircraft are better suited with a darker color, actually altering the specular color is an old trick from CFS2, may aircraft back then were also too shiny and it was all to do with the color of the shine, I suggest you use a RGB of 70 to begin with, click to color box and then move the slider to make the specular color darker.

The light blue circle is the specular shine spread a value of 5 will give a sharp shine like on a wine glass, a value of 25 will give a broad shine like rubber tyres, I suggest a value of 20 to begin with.

Of course you can change the specular color more accurately and with differing values on a texture by using a specular map, for example mat anti glare panels on a otherwise high shine model, but for a general overall specular shine then the material way seems to work best.

Rotor heads, simply apply a swatch to the rotor heads, make its color dark grey, never black, pure black just soaks up light and looks terrible, RGB 10 is a good color to start with, then apply the material specular notes above and you will end up with dark looking rotor heads but a shine to pick out the high spots and give them some definition and depth.

Hope that helps

Michael

Michael,
Looking at Rogers screenie, it looks like it has some glare/white spots that show up (unfortunately) in photo-real repaints...

many thanks, i may update it with these fixes. this is my first FSX model so still learning, and trying to forget my FS9 ideas

yes, black spots on the belly appear to be flipped polygons on the specular map as they do have diffuse textures mapped in those regions .
also confirmed gear animation doesn't retract straight out of the box.

man i hope i don't sound like nit picker , i hate that

View attachment 57410
taken at 90 bank angle , belly to the sun ...

Back