• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

UKMIL CH-47 is out...but....

Micheal, I agree about this being intriguing!

I read about that shader thing on Adrian Wood's (?) Blog, on the official FSX website...

"Addtionally, as often as possible, use the textures to change the shader values as opposed to using the shader constants themselves. If you control reflection in the diffuse alpha and specular in the specular color and specular alpha, then you should be able to set the reflection and specular power term constants at max and use the texture values to adjust accordingly. You should be able to get rubber, metal, plastic and other surfaces in a single draw call just by adjusting the various portions of the textures. The only thing you should need new material constants for is something like glass, chrome or an object that is transparent or glows.
Also, make sure that all of the material textures are grouped. Put all the chrome on one sheet, because then you can have a single chrome material and a single chrome draw call. Do the same with glass, metal, etc. If you have 11 1024x1024 textures, and each of them has a chrome section, then you are forcing 11 new draw calls when you could have one."

I put off trying to figure this specular thing out for a long time because it seemed very convoluted to me, but having messed with it for awhile now it is starting to click. I have done a whole lot of 'trial & error' :costumes:

Ok, yes I follow that, he's right and I'm right LOL, I'm talking at cross purposes here so I'll try and explain what he really means, well what i think he really means.

For this example lets take a gloss painted fuselage, on it are a couple of panels that are matt for lets say anti glare shield and may be an unpainted aerial / antenna/ sensor panel.

Ok if we just use one material that covers the whole fuselage with one texture then that will be one draw call, however using material specularity we can only set one value, do we set it to the skin gloss or the panel matt ?, lets say we set it to skin gloss. How are we now going to make those panels matt ?, traditionally we would have to cut those areas out as polys and either carve them off as separate polys, or apply a new material to them.

Either way your fuselage would now need two materials added, one for the skin gloss and one for the matt areas, that would be two draw calls.

Ok by using map specular we can retain that complete fuselage, one fuselage and one texture and only one draw call, then we can use a texture layer to alter the specularity to give us both gloss and matt on one texture, on one material and on one part.

If you are going to apply many differing levels of specularity to small parts hither and thither then specular maps are the only effective solution, however if your only going to apply one level of specularity to one very large piece, say a wing or fin then material specularity is equally effective.

Few of us actually cram as much texture onto as few maps as ACEs, most of us have far more maps and usually dedicated to components, ie Landing gear will be on one, wheels on another, VC bits and bobs spread over two or three, already were loosing draw calls by having more and more maps and breaking the model down into smaller and smaller chunks, if you do that and plan carefully then it is possible to have some chunks all use the same material attributes and not worry about draw calls or specular maps, I'm sure simply adding a specular map will raise draws calls in its own right, it is an extra layer the sim has to render so will have an impact. Materials will not, you have to have a material anyway, specular or not should not increase draw calls in its own right, its just the number of maps and the number of differing materials will have an effect, I think ?.

Make anymore sense LOL.

Best

Michael

I think you're getting the hang of it :ernae:
I don't really fly choppers much...but I might give this one a go :d

ok, i have sorted the BUMP MAP which has eliminated the DARK SIDE i was seeing

i have set the SPEC using gmax Material editor to a darker grey

here is the result

Right :applause:, now were getting somewhere !, your color looks good, I'd perhaps now adjust the glossiness and specular level, the lower the glossiness then the bigger the spread of the shine, ie the more of a sheen it becomes, I'd guess and knock a value of 10 off each parameter and see what that looks like.

Specular material color, ok y'all heres a little secret about specular material colors, select your aircraft and slew to say 1000 AGL, then use Numpad to make it roll slowly, now watch your shadow and highlights very carefully as it rolls across the airframe, I mean very carefully, if they appear to be jumping or flipping from poly to poly in a stepping type motion then your specular material color is waaaayyy too light, trust me if you don't know what to look for or understand then try it with a light material specular colors and you'll soon see what I mean LOL.

Darken your specular material color, recompile and try again, you will now notice that the shadows and highlights move in a seamless and smooth fashion across the fuselage, not only that, the darker color makes the edges smoother and gives a much more natural feel to the specular shine.

Generally RGB 100 or lower is good for specular material shines and sim smoothness and performance.

This may only effect certain video cards and drivers but I've seen the color have a drastic effect over the years on many PCs so there is some mileage in making the color darker.

If I knew how to vid capture I'd show this effect very easily, but I don't, so I cant :banghead:.

Best

Michael

ok few more shots. i have also added a new FSX material to the rotor heads so they are now almost, but not black

Well done guys, great teamwork here.

I haven't a bloody clue what you are on about, but really enjoyed reading this thread and seeing this great helicopter get better throughout :ernae:

Well done guys, great teamwork here.

I haven't a bloody clue what you are on about, but really enjoyed reading this thread and seeing this great helicopter get better throughout :ernae:
I will second that. Thats why this forum and the people on it are the dogs danglies....:ernae:

Yup thats got it, that change in rotor head texture and specular looks much better than pure black, the slight reflection gives them a much better 3D effect. Fuselage looks like a millitary airframe now.

Best

Michael

i will package this up and release over at UKMIL later today. I will also upload here at sim house as i never did upload the original:wiggle:

Great stuff UKmil:applause: and thanks to all the helpers for making a great model even better!:ernae:

indeed thanks all here for the help. OK, the new version is now at UKMIL.org.uk. you have to register to download, but it is FREE. i will upload here, as soon as i get my upload priviledges i need which may take a while.

ok LATEST release inc all DDS textures, and new file system [using shared textures] uploaded to Sim Outhouse. if you use it, please delete any previous versions

Looking MUCH better! Glad to see you took the information on board, as I'm sure it'll come in handy for later models. Look forward to downloading it.

Back