• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

USS Oriskany SCB-27C/125A

Yes! A Midway would fill a big hole + its history spans aircraft from Corsairs and Spads through F/A-18 hornets. Would be a great addition.

That Hermes Looks Fantastic Gary, well done. In truth I've been begging for a 60's Hermes for a very long time now so any contribution from you or Skippy would be very much appreciated looking forward to your 82' though!

Just a suggestion, you could also have her as 72'-80' Commando carrier by just removing the Ski jump. I just found some photos in a book I've been reading and that's pretty much the only visual difference I can see. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hooky:encouragement:

Just a suggestion, you could also have her as 72'-80' Commando carrier by just removing the Ski jump. I just found some photos in a book I've been reading and that's pretty much the only visual difference I can see. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hooky:encouragement:

The Commando conversion also involved cutting away the deck above where the LCVP are mounted, plus a few other bits and pieces. I'm trying to track down some decent plans but there don't seem to be any from earlier than then which makes it more difficult. It doesn't help that I know there was a modification to extend the port catapult for Bucc S2 operations in the mid-60s...

Some interesting points chaps.....I'll see what I can do and maybe come up with a close approximation of the three Hermes variants....it won't be like skippy's fancy flying stations contraptions with his baked textures and la de da rotating radomes but a basic model with my usual naff textures.

In other words I'll keep it simple- a bit like myself! :biggrin-new:

(Just kidding on skips stuff.....getting to his level with some of his creations is what I aspire to, and the reason I started tinkering with modelling in the first place)

That and a stirring interest in all things naval after a chuffing great Goliath crane appeared on the skyline one day and some big red things started floating up the Forth....

Cheers
G

For a freeware Oriskany you're pretty much limited to Gary Payne's deck which you are already familiar with. For payware 27-Charlie carriers CIMOGT has a nice package of three ships: Lexington, Hancock, and Bon Homme Richard. Target market was P3D for all the animations to work but the ships work fine in FSX, just without the eye candy features. $11 at SimMarket. Bonnie Dick would be a good stand-in for Oriskany if I could figure out how to change the hull #'s on the flight deck and island. :confused: They appear to be part of the ship's .mdl file.

Last edited:
Yea what I was trying to do (and I tried to PM the author)... Is remove the static Skyhawks and then change the numbers of this ship so I can make a Yorktown, Intrepid, Hornet and Lexington; then place them as static museum ships where they rest today... Since the only other models of these ships are the earlier versions with the WW2 style bows modifying the Oriskany seemed like the best option... While I was already able to do the number changes... As you mentioned in the MCX viewer / parts grouping, removing the Skyhawk exhaust parts and landing gear also removes a chunk of the ships structure with it... Admittedly that is one of my bigger irritations with MCX is it does tend to combine parts that were not previously combined in FSDS, and does not at this time have a means of breaking things apart again so as to selectively delete things... As for the display aircraft I was going to place static versions of some of the AI aircraft I have converted for MAIW in the past on to the deck to match the planes there today... So I have placed some Tomcats...

yorktown.JPG

intrepid.JPG

Thanks! They may not have but then again these are the actual Tomcats that rest on them now... Also on the Intrepid there are plenty of aircraft resting on her deck that never flew off of her or any carrier for that matter (F-16, A-12 Oxcart, Kfir, Space shuttle) just to name a few.. This is a pic I am using for reference:

intrepid-sea-air-space-museum-manhattan-new-york-city-ny-usa-RD8153.jpg

Ah, yes, of course the Intrepid museum (and others like it with static displays) which I have been to and enjoyed many times. I made a static model out of Gary P's Oriskany years ago (my first MDX effort) to have AI fly on and off on Yankee Station.

Out of curiosity did your static model still have the A-4s on it? I was able to go through my old files and find an earlier version of this ship and while I was able to get the A-4s removed... I still had issues in that on the port side of the ship the underside of the deck is now missing as is the framing for the elevator... My goal was to just make the museum ships and use MCX to place them as scenery...

Bummer... I will see what I can do to find a way to get rid of them; but not looking promising... Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any other previous releases of this ship that I can try to work with or source parts from, and have not heard back from Gary P yet... So far this is as far as I have been able to get... But it has some glitches:

1. As you can see the gantry work for the port elevator as well as I underside of the port deck missing...

2. The parts for the two rotating antennas were also attached to the Skyhawks and the parts I could import from other ships had the fixed antennas attached...

oriskany clean.JPG

oriskany clean 2.JPG

Last edited:
Well I am now super happy to report I did it!!!!

Here is how for those who may want to know for future use:

1. Using MCX I isolated and saved the parts I needed, but not as a .mdl files but rather as collada .dae files

2. I then opened the collada files using blender and in blender used the vertex editor to delete the unwanted parts by removing their vertices

3. I then exported the newly modified parts back into collada .dae files

4. Using MCX I then merged the new parts back into the model (some transformations may be needed for parts alignment) and re-assigned the materials using the material editor feature.

5. Probably need not be said but remove the old original parts that had the unwanted components in them...

It was a labor intensive process and took a while but this opens up a ton of doors! Also of note the final model does need to be re-constructed in MCX as the animations and material assignments are all lost during export to a .dae file.... So keep the original model handy and use it for your final...

oriskany clean.JPG
oriskany clean 2.JPG

Last edited:
Back