• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

Just posting here to say that I don't recall making any changes to the Crusader's panel or aircraft .cfg files, other than those used to point to the model itself and its textures. I think that this is more to do with the textures used by the AB flame than anything else, but I haven't had the time to download any of the updates to test them yet. Hope that it gets figured out, and that everyone's enjoying the RF-8. Many thanks for the low-viz paint job, by the way! :)

The panel folder and content and panel cfg have differences in them that somehow when used, will not allow the AB effect to function,

All I know is, if I revert to one of the panels provided in the stock F-8 C then, the AB effect will happen. Just my observation.

In the intrim, I can just merge the RF-8 texture panels to the F-8 folder, make the changes to the aircraft.cfg file.

EDIT:

This is when I've added the RF8 textures and model to the F-8 folder, notice the gun camera's windows are black.

F8.jpg

This is when the RF-8 files are installed isolated from the F-8 folder, the gun camera's windows are not blacked out and can see camera thru glass.
No AB effect.
RF8.jpg

Last edited:
The panel folder and content and panel cfg have differences in them that somehow when used, will not allow the AB effect to function,All I know is, if I revert to one of the panels provided in the stock F-8 C then, the AB effect will happen. Just my observation.In the intrim, I can just merge the RF-8 texture panels to the F-8 folder, make the changes to the aircraft.cfg file.
Try checking the texture.cfg folder, which should be in most of the texture paint folders as a notepad file. If it's not pointing to other folders correctly, this would explain why some textures are not showing up in some combinations but working in others.

Try checking the texture.cfg folder, which should be in most of the texture paint folders as a notepad file. If it's not pointing to other folders correctly, this would explain why some textures are not showing up in some combinations but working in others.

Dean,

I've solved the black gun camera glass conundrum.

I had to renamed your base texture folder to textureRF8.
For each RF8 paint, I did an edit in the first line

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\textureRF8 <<<Changed the name to point to the RF8 base texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

As there are differences in file contents in your base texture folder and the F-8 base texture folder.
So I had to install and rename your base RF-8 texture to get the full rendering.

If I do all the above and not your panels, I will have the AB effect. If I use your panels, no AB - And any other third party F8 panel for that matter.

Last edited:
No AB sonic boom

Another issue I noted is that installing the RF-8 in it's own folder in P3D V3.4, there is no sonic boom sound either however, the AB indicator will light on the panel

Not so it the textures are integrated into to F-8 folder.

Another issue I noted is that installing the RF-8 in it's own folder in P3D V3.4, there is no sonic boom sound either however, the AB indicator will light on the panel Not so it the textures are integrated into to F-8 folder.
It sounds like the original ALPHA F8 Crusader folder is the best place for the RF-8 then, as clearly there are gauges or panel configurations that exist there which are required for many of the effects to work. I will ammend the README with the download to outline this as the best way forward when I get the time to do so. It's odd though, as I'm pretty sure I just copied and pasted them into the RF-8 folders upon upload, so they shouldn't really be any different. Clearly, something's blocking effects, I just can't imagine what it might be without digging back into the files.

. Clearly, something's blocking effects, I just can't imagine what it might be without digging back into the files.

I think so too. I tried a comparison of your and henk's panel.cfg files and there is just so much stuff in there. The file contents of your panel and Henk's are different.
But then again, they look a little different when using them.

If you know what gauge activates the AB effects for the RF-8 in the .CAB file then you can trouble shoot. When pressing the I key the AB is lite and wing vapor trails. So it's a gauge somewhere in the pane.cfg folder.

Attachments

• AB-2.jpg
    AB-2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
If you know what gauge activates the AB effects for the RF-8 in the .CAB file then you can trouble shoot. When pressing the I key the AB is lite and wing vapor trails. So it's a gauge somewhere in the pane.cfg folder.

Dean has two panels (Panel/Panel.c) in his RF-8, both of which contain identical folder names; that I don't understand.

Basic panel

panel.jpg

Panel.C

panelc.jpg

Just wanted to post a screen shot of Ted's new photo bird A/B effect in FSX. Looks great, Ted, thanks for your work. :encouragement:

Attachments

• New_AB_2.jpg
    New_AB_2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 68
Rectangle scope
F-8J 150311, VF24 and the French Navy use Panel

Round scope
F-8J 145562, VMF-321 and F-8E 145575, VF-84 use Panel.C

Thanks TARPSBird

Ya mean these? .. I use to bore sight the guns back in the day and had to sit in the cockpit and pull the gun trigger
(each of the four 20MM had ~20 rounds) and fire at a target at end of a tunnel. So I remember a little of the actual panel layout.
The fire control radar scope was either rectangular (F8-E) or round (F8-C/D)

I was referring (#288) to how the folder names of Dean's panels (Panel.Panel.C) appear identical.

Case in point; Deans RF-8 VFP-63 calls on pane.C; while his VFP-306 calls on basic panel.
Both of cockpits look identical, have same round radar scope.

F8-D panel

F8-D.jpg

F8-E
F8-E.jpg

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
RF-8G afterburner light will not go out

When reducing throttle, the afterburner light does not go out, the RPM does not reduce and there is no afterburner flame when using Dean's RF-8G package. I've read through the previous posts but am very confused. I installed Henk's F-8v2 and copied Dean's RF-8G base texture and renamed it textureRF8 and edited the texure.cfg file (fallback.1=..\textureRF8), copied Dean's RF-8G aircraft textures, RF-8G model file and copied Dean's RF-8G aircraft.cfg entries into Henk's F-8v2 aircraft.cfg file. When I fly with Henk's package, everything works great except for a grey disk covering the radar scope when viewing the VC. How do I get rid of that grey disk in front of the radar scope?

Attachments

• Screenshot (137).png
    Screenshot (137).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Back