• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

Looking at the F-100 with J-57 engine at full AB so timed the effects the same. Once I have both AB effects ready for P3Dv3, next will do the FSX version and upload it to the library.

The latest video (demo) looks fantastic. :encouragement:

Congrats on your new gig (graphic work)

Just so I understand, will you load the AB effect for P3DV3 to the library when its completed or
when both (P3D V3/FSX) are completed?

If so, what category will I find it under; there is only a P3D V4 addon and nothing I see for P3D V3

Thanks

GE

Just so I understand, will you load the AB effect for P3DV3 to the library when its done or
when both (P3D V3/FSX)?

If so, what category will I find it at; there is only a P3D V4 addon and nothing I see for P3D V3

When its done (P3D V3.4) maybe a post here with a link would be a help in finding it. Or, just post a download link here like what was
done with previous AB effects versions you did before,

Butch

LOoks like it will be under FSX Effects entries. I'll include both FSX and P3Dv3 AB effects in one package. All issue is fixed that I can see for P3Dv3 AB effects. I will check to see if it affects FSX and will fix it if needed.

LOoks like it will be under FSX Effects entries. I'll include both FSX and P3Dv3 AB effects in one package. All issue is fixed that I can see for P3Dv3 AB effects. I will check to see if it affects FSX and will fix it if needed.

Sounds like a plan.

I'll keep an eye out for it then.

Again, congrats on your new gig (graphic work)

GE

Looking at the F-100 with J-57 engine at full AB so timed the effects the same. Once I have both AB effects ready for P3Dv3, next will do the FSX version and upload it to the library.

Also, I received an email from an author this Saturday asked to do some graphic work for his novel so I accept the offer and will be tied up for a while. I'm amazed about the opportunity, this will be the fourth book I've done!

P3Dv3

Reference: F-100 AB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGj6hBDjEM

That was of course the real deal.

I snapped some stills from the Milviz F-100 AB action and as you can see in first two pics the double ring of fire effect then, as the camera pans directly behind the jet, the double yellow
ring effect is gone. Don't know if this was for P3D sim.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

As camera pans behind AB the rings of fire are melded into one.

Capture2.jpg

This was one of your previous demos of a close up AB effect which reminds me a little of double ring in my 1st pic here.
AB-FIRE.jpg

I snapped some stills from the Milviz F-100 AB action and as you can see in first two pics the double ring of fire effect then, as the camera pans directly behind the jet, the double yellow
ring effect is gone. Don't know if this was for P3D sim.

P3Dv3 doesn't handle AB effects very well and those pics show it. Not even in Aerosoft F-14 redux. Best AB effects are rendered in the model like F-22. P3Dv4 may handle the AB effect better I don't know. Ask around the P3Dv4 forum. Adapting FSX jet models into P3Dv3/4 maybe not good practice.

P3Dv3 doesn't handle AB effects very well and those pics show it. Not even in Aerosoft F-14 redux. Best AB effects are rendered in the model like F-22. P3Dv4 may handle the AB effect better I don't know. Ask around the P3Dv4 forum. Adapting FSX jet models into P3Dv3/4 maybe not good practice.

Well, what you have developed so far looks fine to me. I'm just waiting to adapt it to my F-8. Hope your not having second thoughts releasing it.

Have you tried it out in FSX yet?

Any idea on when you'll have it avail here?

No smoke entries or anything of significance in the lights section either.

In the F-35

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain = 0.046 //Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area = 6.000 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area - Approximate from 3d model
rated_N2_rpm = 16728 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust = 28000 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level - Should be 28,000 but was lowered due to excessive acceleration - Note, this combined with air file values produces a maximum thust (with A/B) of about 37500lbs (actual value should be 42,000+)
afterburner_available = 3 //Afterburner stages available?
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.90 //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins
reverser_available = 0 //Thrust reverser available?
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.80 //Thrust specific fuel consumption (Jets) Exact value should be 0.886 correct from wiki, adjusted after long range tests
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.82 //TSFC with afterburn/reheat engaged

It beats me where they are getting the effects from or use. I think the effects are baked into the MDL's.

I sure do like what you've done with improvements of the F8 AB effect and appreciate your efforts:applause:

Last edited:
Well, what you have developed so far looks fine to me. I'm just waiting to adapt it to my F-8. Hope your not having second thoughts releasing it.

It will be released. When... when it's ready. :playful:

Have you tried it out in FSX yet?

Totally broken for now. :dizzy:

Any idea on when you'll have it avail here?

Soon as the fix for FSX is done.

No smoke entries or anything of significance in the lights section either.

None required.

In the F-35

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain = 0.046 //Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area = 6.000 //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area - Approximate from 3d model
rated_N2_rpm = 16728 //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust = 28000 //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level - Should be 28,000 but was lowered due to excessive acceleration - Note, this combined with air file values produces a maximum thust (with A/B) of about 37500lbs (actual value should be 42,000+)
afterburner_available = 3 //Afterburner stages available?
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.90 //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins
reverser_available = 0 //Thrust reverser available?
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.80 //Thrust specific fuel consumption (Jets) Exact value should be 0.886 correct from wiki, adjusted after long range tests
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.82 //TSFC with afterburn/reheat engaged

It beats me where they are getting the effects from or use. I think the effects are baked into the MDL's.

I sure do like what you've done with improvements of the F8 AB effect and appreciate your efforts:applause:

As for the F-35... part of the MDL it must.

The F-22 AB looks wonky - like an electric toaster.

Not impressed either.

The stock P3D V3 F-35 (Dino) is different and looks like same AB effect used in F-14 (Dino)
I don't see anything there that would work.

Any of the latest P3Dv.X payware jets have AB effects that good? Hope so.

Have that bookmarked since working on the F-4 afterburners years ago. Multi ways of doing smoke effects.

Any of the latest P3Dv.X payware jets have AB effects that good? Hope so.

I can only speak for Dino's creations (Mil Jets) w/AB effects. His AB effect in the F-14 and F-35

look identical. Only dif is one engine vs two. The F-35 is stock A/C for P3D V3.4

Last edited:
F-8 Crusader

Here was then, a new F-8 being tested at NATC Pax River Notice the short AB burst on takeoff at .

Besides the four 20MM, It looks like there were cameras on the side panels and nose. Notice the black gunpowder soot on the gun ports.

Last edited:
Eyes of the fleet

Clip from movie 13 days. Dramatizes the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962

I wonder where they got those RF-8's? Hertz? :biggrin-new:

In the cold start scene on the runway - I didn't see a huffer, NC-5 (need AC/DC power) or any GSE startup equipment.

A lot of bouncing around in the cockpit too - do they buffet that much? Hollywood :indecisiveness:

This is a collection of videos from Air Wing 19, USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14), taken 1968 in the Tonkin Gulf. Visible land areas are North Vietnam, near Thanh Hoa and "the Hourglass." From collection of LCDR Dick Nelson, Fighter Squadron 194.

Still at 7:06 of above video

Capture.jpg

Hello Ted (TUFUN)

Hello Ted,

I wanted to call your attention to a possible candidate for the AB flame for the F-8. It does look a little pale.

light.jpg

I borrowed some effects from here

https://www.fs2000.org/2018/04/02/fsx-p3d-vought-fu7-cutlass-updated/

[SMOKESYSTEM]
//smoke.0= -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_smoke_B47.fx <<< This one works and makes smoke.
smoke.0 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_Bob_Both_smaller_blue
smoke.1 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM <<< This one makes the flame.
smoke.2 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_EA6_Exh1
smoke.3 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_F8_AB

I wonder if you could tweak the fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM effect and make it darker or make it more noticeable?
This addon is advertised to work in both FSX & P3D. I only use the two effect files from the cutlass that I comment on in red.

Now what confuses me, I thought you were all in on P3D V3 and did an adios to FSX. I ask that 'cause you wanted to make that AB project for the F-8 to work in FSX and
if you are not using it how do you test it?

Anyway, wanted to see if you could do something with that fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM effect?

Now what confuses me, I thought you were all in on P3D V3 and did an adios to FSX. I ask that 'cause you wanted to make that AB project for the F-8 to work in FSX and
if you are not using it how do you test it?

I installed FSX-SE recently for testing purposes and why did I do that for the life of me don't know it's junk,
dizzy.gif
but hey can't fix something I can't see.
biggrin-new.png

Soon as the fix is in it's gone!

My clients are happy with the recent graphic work for his book and now will focus on FSX AB fix. After that bye-bye FSX.

Last Crusader

Just uploaded, the last USN Crusader. BuNo 146860, the last Crusader operated by VFP-206.

The Naval Air Reserve units operating the RF-8G were VFP-206 and VFP-306 and were both based at NAF Washington DC, stationed at Andrews AFB. VFP-206 finally relinquished its RF-8Gs on March 29, 1987, becoming the last Navy unit to fly the Crusader. The last Crusader in Navy service, RF-8G BuNo 146860, was officially turned over to the Smithsonian Institution the next day.

Attachments

• RF8-1.jpg
    RF8-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
  • RF8-0.jpg
    RF8-0.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6
  • RF8-4.jpg
    RF8-4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 6
TED'S F-8 Crusader AB effect for Deans RF-8 -not working

I've notice that Ted's (Tufun) new F-8 Afterburner effect works great in Henk's V2 of the F-8 Crusader however, the AB effect will not
function in Dean's RF-8 unless you merge his textures into Henk's Crusader folder.

IMHO, I think there is something in one of Dean's (and other's) panel.cfg that doesn't have the gauges, or calls on gauges or make
whatever calls it is for Ted's AB effect.

It looks like using Henk's panels only will allow me to taxi without the Afterburner Flame showing when taxing at a snails pace.
If I use some other panel other then Henk's then we have the premature AB flame at low speeds. If I use Henk's then no
probs.

I've did a comparison of the panel files in Henk's and Dean's F-8 and the contents are different as well. Was looking for what in the panel
file will work for one and not the other.

Just something I wanted to bring to light.

I've already asked Dean about this and waiting to hear from him.

AB1.jpg

Just posting here to say that I don't recall making any changes to the Crusader's panel or aircraft .cfg files, other than those used to point to the model itself and its textures. I think that this is more to do with the textures used by the AB flame than anything else, but I haven't had the time to download any of the updates to test them yet. Hope that it gets figured out, and that everyone's enjoying the RF-8. Many thanks for the low-viz paint job, by the way! :)

Back