• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

It was a big beast Dean. Roll rate was around 60 degrees per second. Pitch rate not so good. The F-8 was the product of missile brained thinking. This thing could go supersonic, in the vertical plane, but it couldnt outturn a mig 17. Youtube is going to be your friend here. Match the roll and pitch rates in the videos and youll at least be close..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=f-8+crusader

Thanks!! I just found the VFP-62 web page with lots of stuff in it, but it would be awesome to know how the RF-8 Crusader handled in terms of rate of roll, pitch, general flight characteristics etc as I'm having trouble finding anything along those lines.
I'll try to get some comments for you from the guys who flew them.

UPDATE: The general fuselage shape is about right now, hard work to get it to go from rounded to sharp-edged and back to rounded again without polygon shadowing issues but it's looking better now. Did some work building the canopy and windshield from scratch using a professional payware mesh as a guide. Now tackling the tricky wings, which have many unusual joins and of course the famous lifting-wing section. It's a good polygon-wrangling epic for me, and a lot more work to get right than I'd anticipated at first glance.

Once the port wing is done, it'll of course be replicated and mirrored on the starboard side. I've not used Booleans for anything yet, building everything manually to keep those poly counts low and the mesh as clean as I can. More updates to follow as time allows, getting close to Christmas so spending a lot of time advertising all my books as well as writing the things! :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• WingJoins.jpg
    WingJoins.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
That's looking awesome, Dean!

BTW, your website is currently down, but I was perusing your books on Amazon. You have my genres nailed -- trying to decide whether to start with Altitude or one of the SF series. Can't wait to dive in!

That's looking awesome, Dean!

BTW, your website is currently down, but I was perusing your books on Amazon. You have my genres nailed -- trying to decide whether to start with Altitude or one of the SF series. Can't wait to dive in!

Thanks Denny, and also for the heads' up about my signature link! I've updated my signature - the website's fine, the sig was just pointing to an out-dated address.

Hope you enjoy the books! :) I was just working on the Crusader's outer-wing sections, so here's another development shot. Just joining sections and cleaning up as I type...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wing_outers.jpg
    Wing_outers.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 6
It was a big beast Dean. Roll rate was around 60 degrees per second. Pitch rate not so good. The F-8 was the product of missile brained thinking. This thing could go supersonic, in the vertical plane, but it couldnt outturn a mig 17. Youtube is going to be your friend here. Match the roll and pitch rates in the videos and youll at least be close..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=f-8+crusader

Interesting Vid, When Phil Woods plane landed that day on Kitty Hawk, I was one of two ordnance men from the squadron Phil Wood was in (VF-24) and helo'd (SH-2) from Bon Homme Richard to Kitty Hawk
as we had to remove the sidewinder rails from that plane; We were short of parts. I helped load VF-24 planes with winders/20MM that day that also ended in a 5 Mig kills for VF-24. Long time ago....
We had F-8C's our sister F-8 Sqd. (VF-211) had F-8E's - they had hard points under the wings and could carry one bomb (up to 2,000 lb) under each wing.

Last edited:
Any updates on this? NC

Work continues apace Chief! Nothing major to report though so I've just been plugging away. Fuselage is complete, tail fin and tailerons in place, currently working on the "lifting wing" section before joining to the main wings and cleaning up.

I don't think there will be anything fun to share really until New Year, it's all just polygon wrangling at the moment. Once she's sitting on her wheels I will begin texture maps etc, so there should be something to show off sometime in January :encouragement:

A minor update for those following: after a Turkey-stuffed Christmas and Boxing Day I felt the need to convert calories into polygons, so I've finished off the fuselage and wing sections, including the tricky-to-shape-nicely upper wing centre surface. Apart from some minor smoothing issues the shape is now at a stage I'm reasonably happy with, which means the fundom of basic texture mapping can begin for the larger surface areas. I aim to have undercarriage doors, exhaust section and camera apertures built in by New Year, along with the cockpit interior "bucket" so that detailing work can begin.

A couple of shots of the exterior basic shape. Hopefully I'll be able to share more interesting, textured in-sim images before too long.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fuselage_shaped1.jpg
    Fuselage_shaped1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Fuselage_shaped2.jpg
    Fuselage_shaped2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks great Dean!

Thanks again for taking this gem of a project on. It’s going to be a great 2019!

Happy New Year to you and all your family.

DL

Any update for this bird recently ?

I'm afraid not at the moment. I'm fully occupied with a commercial project, and the day job's become quite busy lately also so there hasn't been anything to report on the Crusader. However, work is ongoing, it's just at a slow pace for the time being until more time gets freed up. I'm still aiming for a late Spring / early summer release but can't promise anything more solid than that right now.

Hi folks,

Sorry for the lack of updates and progress for the RF-8G Crusader, I've been utterly up to my neck lately and have not had the chance to do much with the project. I do hate it when plans get derailed though, as I like to hit my deadlines - I've had a chance today to pick up where I left off and hopefully will get back on track now with the development.

A quick screenie, canopy glass modeled and material applied. I'm about to sort the texture maps for the fuselage and control surfaces, and then it'll be on to modeling the undercarriage bays and doors. Landing gear will go in last, along with animations and detail work, before work on the VC begins.

The good news is that I'm getting used to Blender now, so this model will have Ambient Occlusion for the VC and possible PBR materials for P3D v4.4, to ensure that this bird is fully up to date :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Maps.jpg
    Maps.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2
Great site for Aircraft tech info

Sorry I'm late to the party, but if you're still looking for technical data http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/ is an excellent source for LOT's of planes, including all 3 versions of Crusader. And he's always adding to it, and will look for data you request. The owner of the site is a former McDonnell-Douglas engineer. There are lots of lofting drawings for various aircraft, flight and maintenance manuals, and tons of other info. It took me days to search through the site.

For instance, I just started flying the Milton Shupe Invader, and he found a POH for me.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late to the party, but if you're still looking for technical data http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/ is an excellent source for LOT's of planes, including all 3 versions of Crusader. And he's always adding to it, and will look for data you request. The owner of the site is a former McDonnell-Douglas engineer. There are lots of lofting drawings for various aircraft, flight and maintenance manuals, and tons of other info. It took me days to search through the site.

For instance, I just started flying the Milton Shupe Invader, and he found a POH for me.

Brilliant resource, many thanks! :)

Brilliant resource, many thanks! :)

Forming up fantastically, Dean. The materials choices will make for a fantastic finished product.

Btw, not including prototypes and the TF- model, there were at least 8 versions of the fighter just off the top of my head and two of the photo recce version.

DL

Back