• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

Forming up fantastically, Dean. The materials choices will make for a fantastic finished product.

Btw, not including prototypes and the TF- model, there were at least 8 versions of the fighter just off the top of my head and two of the photo recce version.

DL

Thanks!

Yeah, the 'Sader had lots of versions. I think the chaps at RFN are not far off releasing their F8-E, which will cover the fighter side of things. I'm focusing on the RF-8G for now but might squeeze in an earlier version too, it all just depends on my workload over this year and lots of other projects I've got lined up that I can't wait to get started on too - I'm my own worst enemy! :biggrin-new:

Thanks!

Yeah, the 'Sader had lots of versions. I think the chaps at RFN are not far off releasing their F8-E, which will cover the fighter side of things. I'm focusing on the RF-8G for now but might squeeze in an earlier version too, it all just depends on my workload over this year and lots of other projects I've got lined up that I can't wait to get started on too - I'm my own worst enemy! :biggrin-new:

Well happy as I am for any F-8, and I have a very big soft spot in my heart for the RFN crew and their amazing models, the prospect of a photo version RF-8G is the stuff of dreams for photo recce nuts like me. I’m sure TARPs and a few others feel similarly.

Thanks for taking this on and for the updates.

DL

It's amazing what a few free hours can achieve once I get them! All texture maps for the external model in place, a few renders in MCX to show off. This is the "unjoined" fuselage, so there are some polygon shadowing issues that don't normally appear and will vanish once all the components are joined up again into a single mesh. Looking good methinks, and it's always a fun moment for me to texture the airplane and bring it to life a little - I always liked the colouring in bits :adoration:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Will probably model the undercarriage next, and see about getting the airplane into the sim for some more screenies. Watch this space!

Attachments

• Render1.jpg
    Render1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Render2.jpg
    Render2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Render3.jpg
    Render3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2
She lives! A quick in-sim test of the model, which I find quite handy for spotting errors. The model is still in separate pieces for texture map purposes, so there's still some polygon shadowing here and there that will be gone soon. Lots of work still to go and I'm away now for a few days so won't be able to do any more until next week.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1
Looks super, Dean.

From the shots of the TRS2, your treatment of details like canopy and landing gear will make this model delightful.

Easily the most anticipated aircraft project in FSX ever from my perspective.

DL

Looks super, Dean.

From the shots of the TRS2, your treatment of details like canopy and landing gear will make this model delightful.

Easily the most anticipated aircraft project in FSX ever from my perspective.

DL

Thanks DL! I can't take credit for the TSR 2 model though, it's by Dave Hanvey and was originally modeled for commercial release, I think by Virtavia. Dave's retired I think from sim development so Henk, Mal and myself have taken on the completion of the project.

Every time I see a model like Dave's though, it inspires me to match the quality. The RF-8G will be no different in quality :)

Found a couple nice shots of the photo Crusader in it's later years. Of course, the high-vis schemes of the 60s and 70s are the most widely known, and to some niche fans of the Crusader, the later reserve (VFP-206/306) schemes are more common, but shots of operational squadron (in this case, VFP-63) RF-8Gs in low-vis paints are far less common. This set is from VFP-63's 1982 Kittyhawk / CVW-15 WestPac cruise.

I (hope / figured folks) would like to see these.

RF-8G-VFP-63-Det-1-CV-63-CKopp-1981-3S.jpg

RF-8G-VFP-63-Det-1-CV-63-CKopp-1981-2S.jpg

RF-8G-VFP-63-Det-1-CV-63-CKopp-1981-1S.jpg

I hope you're well Dean, and the progress shots thus far look amazing. Thanks in advance for this labour of love.

dl

Found a couple nice shots of the photo Crusader in it's later years. Of course, the high-vis schemes of the 60s and 70s are the most widely known, and to some niche fans of the Crusader, the later reserve (VFP-206/306) schemes are more common, but shots of operational squadron (in this case, VFP-63) RF-8Gs in low-vis paints are far less common. This set is from VFP-63's 1982 Kittyhawk / CVW-15 WestPac cruise.I (hope / figured folks) would like to see these. I hope you're well Dean, and the progress shots thus far look amazing. Thanks in advance for this labour of love.dl
Thanks DL! Those shots are great, I'll keep them handy as work progresses. On that front though, sadly, nothing has been done since the last progress update as my day job is taking up almost all of my time. The rest is taken up with commercial sim development as I try to get DC Designs off the ground. There just aren't enough hours in the day right now for freeware, although I'm hoping to pick up the threads after the summer and finish the RF-8G. I'll post back as soon as work continues, sorry for the delays folks!

In VFP-63 Detachment 2 we went to overall top surface gray but didn't go with the low-vis markings until our last cruise in 1981. Here are two shots of Det 2 aircraft circa 1979.

Attachments

• Det_2_NORIS.jpg
    Det_2_NORIS.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Det_2_622_Cat_2.jpg
    Det_2_622_Cat_2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks DL! Those shots are great, I'll keep them handy as work progresses. On that front though, sadly, nothing has been done since the last progress update as my day job is taking up almost all of my time. The rest is taken up with commercial sim development as I try to get DC Designs off the ground. There just aren't enough hours in the day right now for freeware, although I'm hoping to pick up the threads after the summer and finish the RF-8G. I'll post back as soon as work continues, sorry for the delays folks!

No worries, Dean! I've been waiting a decade and a half since Carl nixed the idea of an RF- on the original Alphasim model a decade and a half ago. A few months is nothing, especially with the advanced texturing you're doing. This will be so worth the wait.

Have a great summer, relax, look after the stuff that feeds your family, we'll still be here.

Tarps, those are great schemes - love those pics. They help convey well the full longevity of the Crusader's service - can't think of many naval airframes putting in almost 4 decades of active service like those RF and French (E)-FN units did.

Great footage except for that stupid squid wearing his Dixie cup on the flight line! The 2 Flare guys had it right wearing the work ballcap!

Some neat stuff on how the cameras were operated in the RF-8 (AKA F8U-1P) Crusader in this old training film...
Good flick, Denny - I can almost hear the movie projector running in the back of the classroom. :biggrin-new:
The RF-8's cameras and circuitry were upgraded several times over the years but the controls stayed pretty much the same. Night photo as a combat mission was discontinued early on during the Vietnam war; as you can imagine the photo flash bombs helped the North Vietnamese 37/57mm gunners see the RF-8 as it made its photo run. Night recce was left to the RA-5C's with their IR and side-looking radar systems.
Interesting fact about the plane's viewfinder: From the view screen in the cockpit to the lens window at the top of the intake, it was a single very large unit, basically a big periscope. God forbid that a drive motor for the traveling grid should burn out or some other electrical glitch occur, it was a major b*tch to remove and replace. A classic piece of 1950's electro-optical technology that remained with the jet for its entire service life.

Gentlefolk of Sim Outhouse,

Once again I must apologise for the lack of activity on this project, life really has become extremely busy and I have realised that there is no real chance of me producing a brand new RF-8 Crusader for FSX / P3D, at least not in the short term. To this end, and because I really don't want to let down those whom I know were eagerly awaiting this airplane, I sought another route to bringing the RF-8 into the sim and have worked to convert the excellent Alphasim F8-E to RF-8A standard.

So far, it's working out really well. I have to contact Virtavia to ensure they're happy for me to distribute this as freeware but in the meantime here's a quick screenie of the airplane. Ignore the minor texture issues, they're being ironed out at the moment. The plan is to polish the conversion over the next couple of weeks, making improvements as time allows, complete a couple of texture paints and also add the fuselage to the VC so that virtual reality nuts like me can see an actual airplane around them when they fly. I'll add what other improvements I can over that time frame, and then hopefully release it here as a stand-alone add on to the Alpha F8-E :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• RF-8A.jpg
    RF-8A.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 8
Dean,

That will be great! Hope Virtavia gives the go ahead. Btw, what scenery is in your screenshot? Tomkitties! NC

Dean, thanks for the update!

Yes, as NC, I’m also hoping this will be approved by Virtavia. In a sense, it’d achieve the goal that we had back in 05 when the original first came out.

Sure, the new-build RF was a great dream. But the converted F exterior still looks fantastic in P3D, and an RF model addition would still be heartily welcomed.

Looking forward to this, and again, the wait has been worth it.

Thanks for your perseverance on this.

Daniel.

Dean,

That will be great! Hope Virtavia gives the go ahead. Btw, what scenery is in your screenshot? Tomkitties! NC

The Tomcats are Nick Black AI MAIW machines that I upgraded to P3D standard for them - they're soon to be released, including all the Miramar Top Gun birds :)

Daniel: Yeah, it's a shame but I'm heavily into commercial sim development for some of the major vendors now, so with the need to also write novels for a living my spare time's been severely curtailed. I still hope to build a dedicated Crusader at some point, but I'm hoping the RFN version will soon cater for our Crusader needs :)

Textures already improving as I get to work with the paint kit - once that's sorted, I'll add some more details to the airframe that were missing from the Alphasim version before getting it all ready for release - watch this space :wavey:

attachment.php

Attachments

• RF-8A.jpg
    RF-8A.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
Back