• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Westland Whirlwind

The issue I've discovered is I cannot shut off the vacate indicator light/ When P3D first loads this aircraft and I shift+1 all three cockpit switches are off till I select one or the other. When the
vacate switch is selected the yellow light will not go out when the aircraft is running or the set for start is selected. I've tried to cycle the master bat switch on/off and that doesn't phase
the vacate cockpit light (turn off.) Once it is on it stays on until I re select this aircraft and start from scratch again. If I chose all switches off - that light comes on and cold and dark is off.
If I select cold and dark then all switches off light goes out - all the while the vacate pilot light is on. Once it is selected I can't get it to shut off.

You are creating your own problem here, The intention of the removable pilot was to enable screenshot artists to create a pre-flight scenario .So set the aircraft to the state required and CLOSE the loading panel . After you have taken a screenshot or whatever , begin to start the engines (turn the battery on) and the pilot will automatically reappear .
D

Causing a CTD in P3D

I just tried the Whirlwind in P3D 4.5 and as soon as the model starts to load it causes P3D to crash to desktop.

I have installed the sounds and effects in the main P3D folders and the model is in my "Additional Aircraft" folder and installed using addon.xml (as are all my other 3rd party models with no issue).

Any thoughts on why I am having issues?

thanks
Gavin

Edit - Just tested the model in FSX-SE and it seems to work well so there must be some issue in my P3D install.

I just tried the Whirlwind in P3D 4.5 and as soon as the model starts to load it causes P3D to crash to desktop.

I have installed the sounds and effects in the main P3D folders and the model is in my "Additional Aircraft" folder and installed using addon.xml (as are all my other 3rd party models with no issue).

Any thoughts on why I am having issues?

thanks
Gavin

Edit - Just tested the model in FSX-SE and it seems to work well so there must be some issue in my P3D install.
Hi Gavin
My guess would be the path for the extra sounds called for in panel/ASC.cfg is now wrong .
Either try changing that path to reflect your "Additional Aircraft " route or move the aircraft to the Simobjects/Airplanes folder.
Cheers
DR

Hello,

-Test to day in FSX!:jump:
Really very beautiful!:applause:
Very realistic cockpit, a treat!
Question, however: how to activate the slats?(becs de bord d'attaque)
Thanks again to Dave

Alain
-

Hello,

-Test to day in FSX!:jump:
Really very beautiful!:applause:
Very realistic cockpit, a treat!
Question, however: how to activate the slats?(becs de bord d'attaque)
Thanks again to Dave

Alain
-
Hi Alain
Fully automatic ..... so pull up to stall speed .
Cheers
DR

Edit
An asymmetric bomb load combined with asymmetric slat opening could produce an un-recoverable roll , so the slats were wired closed when bombs carried.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the Whirlwind. Great job whoever put this together.

Now that I've taken a few flights, I have some questions or observations (FSXA install).

Yesterday, I took a flight under snowy weather conditions. A minute after takeoff, I lost boost and made a quick abort to the airport. After landing and looking at the engine controls for carb. heat and mixture, I was able to take off and resume my flight. I couldn't adjust the mixture setting nor could I find any controls for carb. heating (maybe there are none), so I'm wondering if I missed anything. Had no issue with clear weather, BTW.

And yes, some of the xml controlled animations seem quirky. I can drag the canopy open, but could not close it the same way. Also, I cannot seem to turn on the gun sight. Again, anything I'm missing or doing wrong? Are there any additional keyboard shortcuts (with Tacpack) for these animations?

Thanks in advance. :encouragement:

And yes, some of the xml controlled animations seem quirky. I can drag the canopy open, but could not close it the same way.

I too have experienced the canopy drag issue you described but in P3D V4.5 - I can here the open and close sounds but no movement.

Hi WH

Now that I've taken a few flights, I have some questions or observations (FSXA install).

Yesterday, I took a flight under snowy weather conditions. A minute after takeoff, I lost boost and made a quick abort to the airport. After landing and looking at the engine controls for carb. heat and mixture, I was able to take off and resume my flight. I couldn't adjust the mixture setting nor could I find any controls for carb. heating (maybe there are none), so I'm wondering if I missed anything. Had no issue with clear weather, BTW.

And yes, some of the xml controlled animations seem quirky. I can drag the canopy open, but could not close it the same way. Also, I cannot seem to turn on the gun sight. Again, anything I'm missing or doing wrong? Are there any additional keyboard shortcuts (with Tacpack) for these animations?

Thanks in advance. :encouragement:

Hi WH
I guess they had no need for carb heat !
The mixture control can only be selected when throttles are in mid range , and sprung load OFF at high or low throttle settings.
It looks like selecting cold & dark jams the canopy open so deleting the line:-
100 (>L:slide_canopy, number) from :- panel / ww_1 / WW1_load will stop that.
Drag also works the canopy handle
Two switches for the gunsight , Master gunsight(above the VSI) and day / off / night on the left side body of the gunsight mount
and ensure the seat is not to high/low for viewing.
Dave R

Hi Gavin
My guess would be the path for the extra sounds called for in panel/ASC.cfg is now wrong .
Either try changing that path to reflect your "Additional Aircraft " route or move the aircraft to the Simobjects/Airplanes folder.
Cheers
DR

Doh:banghead:,
So obvious when you point it out.

I did remember to change the ASC.DLL for the FSX install, should have realized that was the issue in P3D.

Thanks
Gavin

Lovely Christmas present. It works beautifully in Prep3d v5.3 once the tweaks in #40,43 and 49 have been done. Many thanks, she's a beauty.
Mike

Hi Cavok
Can you say what tweaks are necessary, because it works with P3D v4.5 but not on 5.3 HF1.
Regards
Michel

Hi Cavok
Can you say what tweaks are necessary, because it works with P3D v4.5 but not on 5.3 HF1.
Regards
Michel

Hi Michel
The most important is #43 which cures ctds. By the way I'm using the non TAC Pac version.
So assuming you are installing your add-ons in a folder outside of P3d the path for the extra sounds called for in panel/ASC.cfg is now wrong.
You have 2 choices either reinstall the model in P3d simobjects\airplanes or change the text in the
panel/ASC.cfg. it looks like this wavdir=SimObjects\Airplanes\Westland_whirlwind\Sound\Sound_System_Whirlwind
Mine now looks like this
wavdir=D:\add on aircraft\Westland_Whirlwind\Sound\Sound_System_Whirlwind
To discover the address of your add on folder simply open it in explorer then put the cursor in the address window, right click and select "copy address as text" then substitute the bits you need in the panel/ASC.cfg

Another tweak is #40 where the first three lines in the lights section needs to be changed
The [Lights} section should read:-
light.0 = 3, 0.450, -22.30, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_r1
light.1 = 3, 0.450, 22.30, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_g1
light.2 = 3, -24.800, 0.00, 6.67, fx_ww_nav_w1

The last tweak is #49 regarding the sliding canopy -
deleting the line:-
100 (>L:slide_canopy, number) from :- panel / ww_1 / WW1_load will cure that. Its an xml file which you can open and edit in WordPad, simply delete the line and save.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Lovely aircraft, has pulled me back to P3D from the dark side...particularly like the flap/radiator modelling :)
Included scan of the Air Ministry Pilots Notes is a particular bonus - I was pondering buying a copy!
Well worth reading the manual to fly it properly.

Hi CavOk
Thank you very much for your full explanation.
All done but same issue for me.
Even if I disable ASC.cfg, ASC.DLL and line gauge00=ASC!MAIN, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 in the panel.cfg
So there is another thing that goes wrong for me.
Windows report errors with g2d.dll 5.3.15.28131 and Framework v4.0.30319
Regards
Michel

Hi CavOk
Thank you very much for your full explanation.
All done but same issue for me.
Even if I disable ASC.cfg, ASC.DLL and line gauge00=ASC!MAIN, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 in the panel.cfg
So there is another thing that goes wrong for me.
Windows report errors with g2d.dll 5.3.15.28131 and Framework v4.0.30319
Regards
Michel

perhaps if you describe what's happening someone in the forum will be able to help
Best regards
Mike

Looks a lovely model in the preview panel but CTD - won't load. P3Dv5.3. Checked the ASC.cfg file and it's correct. I've not installed the tacpac components though.

DaveQ

Hello,

-I find that I can not open or close the Canopy with Drag!
I deleted the line 100 (> L: Slide_Canopy, Number), but without change!
However, with Maj + E, in view of Cockpit, and passing immediately in external view, the Canopy opens!
But no maneuver closes it!
In addition the closing / opening crank does not work! (Correct?)
I use FSX!

For me,lights:
light.0 = 3, 0.440, -22.35, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_r1
light.1 = 3, 0.450, 22.35, 1.47, fx_ww_nav_g1
light.2 = 3, -24.950, 0.00, 6.67, fx_ww_nav_w1

Alain
-

Looks a lovely model in the preview panel but CTD - won't load. P3Dv5.3. Checked the ASC.cfg file and it's correct. I've not installed the tacpac components though.

DaveQ
I assume you have installed the TacPac version. I have installed the other version and with the tweaks I've described have no problems.
I'm thinking that the TacPac version has unique issues?
Mike

Back