• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

4x my skins "Olive drab series" uploaded, enjoy:

Prepar3D-_apwrnqs.jpg

C-47-Skyt_apwrnqq.jpg

C-47-Swam_apwrepp.jpg

Prepar3D-_apwrepn.jpg

SOH: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=180

How long does it take for this site to approve an upload and post it?

It seems to take forever.

Cheers Chris

After Looking

After all the looking I did, I was 100 numbers off of the Ohio ANG 42-93790 but in looking on Joe's serial number site, 10 down I found a really interesting history of 42-93800:

History:
178 FIS/119 FIG/ND ANG VC-47A

Originally C-47A-25-DK

c/n 13752 in 1987 at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally on charge of USAFM. Also reported to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND

Photographer: Stephen Miller
Photo taken 10 May 1963 at Andrews AFB.

93800 (MSN 13752) Redesignated VC-47A in 1984 and transferred to North Dakota ANG. By 1987 was
at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally
on charge of USAFM. Also reported by 1993 to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND. In 2012 was
on display at Eagles Air Museum in Fargo, North Dakota.

attachment.php

I set my mind to doing this texture this morning and its now the next morning but I was not giving up. I probably went about it the hard way not having much experience at all with either PSD paint kits or Adobe Photoshop. I had to tweak it in Corel Paintshop Pro which I have a lot of experience in and hand paint the Alpha for it but I think that it came out pretty good for my first try at a texture entirely my work. Still like Paintshop Pro better that Photoshop for ease of working but to do this you gotta use Photoshop. Here it is:

attachment.php

Maybe look for some Grand Forks ND AFB scenery for FSX tomorrow and fly it a bit.:dizzy:

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
  • NDAK09830.jpg
    NDAK09830.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 22
Thai Airways C47 V3 Repaint

I did a repaint in Thai Airways Livery. Upload is on the way soon you can download it here if you like it. THX go to Mr. Sindhu Ratna for helping creating the Repaints. :applause:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• metallthai.jpg
    metallthai.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • whitethai.jpg
    whitethai.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1
Send him a PM.I have used the version 2 paint and just redone the cfg file.Here is a copy if you want it.

[FLTSIM.X]
title = Douglas C-47 -- Royal Aircraft Establ --
sim = Douglas_DC3_V1.4
model =
panel =
sound =
texture = _RAE
kb_checklists = douglas_c47_check
kb_reference = douglas_c47_ref
atc_id =
ui_manufacturer = "Douglas"
ui_type = "C-47R Skytrain"
ui_variation = Royal Aircraft Establ.
ui_typerole = Twin Engine Prop
ui_createdby =
description = ...

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
After all the looking I did, I was 100 numbers off of the Ohio ANG 42-93790 but in looking on Joe's serial number site, 10 down I found a really interesting history of 42-93800:

History:
178 FIS/119 FIG/ND ANG VC-47A

Originally C-47A-25-DK

c/n 13752 in 1987 at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally on charge of USAFM. Also reported to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND

Photographer: Stephen Miller
Photo taken 10 May 1963 at Andrews AFB.

93800 (MSN 13752) Redesignated VC-47A in 1984 and transferred to North Dakota ANG. By 1987 was
at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally
on charge of USAFM. Also reported by 1993 to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND. In 2012 was
on display at Eagles Air Museum in Fargo, North Dakota.

attachment.php

I set my mind to doing this texture this morning and its now the next morning but I was not giving up. I probably went about it the hard way not having much experience at all with either PSD paint kits or Adobe Photoshop. I had to tweak it in Corel Paintshop Pro which I have a lot of experience in and hand paint the Alpha for it but I think that it came out pretty good for my first try at a texture entirely my work. Still like Paintshop Pro better that Photoshop for ease of working but to do this you gotta use Photoshop. Here it is:

attachment.php

Maybe look for some Grand Forks ND AFB scenery for FSX tomorrow and fly it a bit.

That's a decent first effort mate:encouragement:

A few points you should be able to adjust.. the white on the roof should extend fwd of the aerial above the flightdeck. The upper orange/dayglo goes all the way down the dorsal. Take the 'BOLD' off the N.DAK.AIR GUARD titles and move it fwd (it starts mid-way through the window above the wing LE). The fin looks white too.. not silver.

Not the easiest paint to take on as a first effort. Good job thus far;)
ATB
DaveB

Hi Dave.
Please could you tell me how you made the cowls shiny on Ron's air atlantique cos I would also like to do it.I have Miss Viginia by the way.

Cheers Chris

Chris,

It is actually reasonably simple. You should replace that part of the alpha layer, from the texture C47_2_T.dds, with a darker version. It just in the textures, and to be more precise; in the alpha layer of the textures. It has nothing to do with the model.

Cheers,
Huub

Please excuse my thick-headiness, but please explain to me the correct procedure and sequence for adapting V2 liveries to the new V3 VVC standards. Some of mine have converted just peachy but I have a couple that are not right. One example is the texture for USAF.SEA.

Thanks in advance.

Obie

Hi Dave.
Please could you tell me how you made the cowls shiny on Ron's air atlantique cos I would also like to do it.I have Miss Viginia by the way.

Cheers Chris

Hiya Chris:wavey:
There are a couple of ways you can go about it. Looking at the cowl textures on Ron's paint and Miss Virginia.. there's very little difference. The main one is the exhaust bluing around the cowl flaps. Looking at the alphas.. that's where the main differences are. Ron's alpha for that map is light grey.. Miss Virginia's is black over the front covers. It also has banana bob's chrome env map included and the combination gives the lovely polished chrome finish. What I did was a basic cut'n'shut taking the engine textures off Miss Virginia and adding them to the AA map. I needn't have done this on reflection. The important change was to copy the engine area off Miss Virginia's alpha and add it to the AA map's alpha then drop bb's chrome env map into the AA texture folder. Robert is your proverbial uncle;)

To save you the effort.. I've uploaded the map HERE
Backup your original AA 2T map.. drop this one in it's place then copy the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds map from Miss Virginia and drop it into the AA texture folder.

All credit to Ron for the original (which I love) and to Allen for the Miss Virginia paint:encouragement:
ATB
DaveB:)

Hani that's great news, looking forward to this one.

Will you also be redoing your Buffalo (weathered) livery for v3?

Thanks good news YoYo! Looking forward to your olive drab creations. I Your new repaint will definitely be a R4D!

BTW uploading here at the SOH is really very easy.

Cheers,
Huub

.... so here is preview in the final way :wavey: .

Yes, it's correct answer for sure. Here is the preview of famous (for simmers also!) DC-3/R4D-6 Dakota from FS2004 time and MAAM museum.
Not fresh factory, the crew for cleaning on the holiday!

Prepar3D-_apwrexe.jpg

Prepar3D-_apwnrss.jpg

Prepar3D-_apwnrsa.jpg

Notice that this skin is grey-silver. RL airplane isn't bare metal.
btw. model has a some of limitation so it isn't in 100% with the real one, something like 95% ;>. Regards.

That's a decent first effort mate:encouragement:

A few points you should be able to adjust.. the white on the roof should extend fwd of the aerial above the flightdeck. The upper orange/dayglo goes all the way down the dorsal. Take the 'BOLD' off the N.DAK.AIR GUARD titles and move it fwd (it starts mid-way through the window above the wing LE). The fin looks white too.. not silver.

Not the easiest paint to take on as a first effort. Good job thus far;)
ATB
DaveB

Thank you for taking the time...I have done a lot of complex B737s with Virtual Alaska Airlines with the Disney repaints and some difficult original nose art in A2A B-17s but always worked in Paintshop Pro with blank texture dds files or was able to "patch over" NOT PSD. This was 21 hours of work non-stop so I appreciate your encouragement. I may wait until next week until I open this up again unless I feel like punishing myself later. LOL. I can't help it, I just don't like Adobe Photoshop much preferring Corel Paintshop Pro but it does not properly open up the layered PSD file. Again, thank you for taking the time to point out the stuff to fix.

Thank you for taking the time...I have done a lot of complex B737s with Virtual Alaska Airlines with the Disney repaints and some difficult original nose art in A2A B-17s but always worked in Paintshop Pro with blank texture dds files or was able to "patch over" NOT PSD. This was 21 hours of work non-stop so I appreciate your encouragement. I may wait until next week until I open this up again unless I feel like punishing myself later. LOL. I can't help it, I just don't like Adobe Photoshop much preferring Corel Paintshop Pro but it does not properly open up the layered PSD file. Again, thank you for taking the time to point out the stuff to fix.

I know exactly how you feel mate. I've used PS Elements for years. It's like the proverbial old pair of gloves. I know what it can do.. what it can't do and the things I have to do to make it work for me. As things have progressed, many PSD's will only open with CS2 (without losing layer detail) and some won't even open with that. I dislike CS2 with a passion and am never happy using it:dizzy: Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit they were intended:encouragement:
ATB
DaveB:)

Another in a series of WWII skins, C-47A Skytrain' SN: 42-92841. The "Turf and Sport Special" was a 61st Troop Carrier Squadron C-47A that took part in Operation "Market Garden" during September of 1944.

Link
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?101765-Douglas-C-47-V3-Turf-and-Sport-Special-zip

I was lucky enough to find some good exterior/interior shots of this airplane and put together a cockpit color scheme to closely re-produce the warbird.

Interior:

Green with black yoke and quadrant. Canvas seat covers with tan leather armrests. I've done some detailing on many of the parts, adding occlusion shadowing where appropriate, dirt and wear to the metal seat buckets, scratches to the window frames, and a bunch of personalizing to give this plane/interior combination a unique signature. The interior textures are based on originals by Jan Visser. All modifications/adaptations are by me and intended to be specific for this airplane. Feel free to alias other models to this interior texture, but please don't use my (or anyone else's) texture sheets in your own skins without permission.

Exterior:
DXT5 4096 x 4096 resolution with enhanced bump maps and specular files. I chose to represent the airplane as it would have appeared throughout it's long service life, rather than in the restored version. Maybe I'll do that one later on, or leave it for one of our skinners.

Shown here in Prepar3D V 3.3.5 | HDR Enabled | ASN 2016 Weather

28505613280_343da77763_o.jpg

28712866671_abe42e1ee1_o.jpg

28758234676_75da6edf46_o.jpg

28684916482_0a78a21321_o.jpg

Last edited:
A few of my favorite C-47's/C-53's flying today:

C-47 "Betty's Biscuit Bomber" N47SJ from the Gooney Bird Group (the fresh shade of early olive drab on this one is awesome): https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=N47SJ&sort=date-taken-desc
C-47 "Willa Dean" N791HH from the Lyon Air Museum: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=N791HH&sort=date-taken-desc
C-53 "D-Day Doll" N45366 from the Inland Empire Wing of the Commemorative Air Force: https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&advanced=1&text=N45366
C-47 "What's Up Doc" N60154 from the Palm Springs Air Museum: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=N60154&sort=date-taken-desc
C-53 "The Duchess of Dakota" N603MC from the Texas Flying Legends Museum (on two occasions, has sported temporary brushed-on/mopped-on invasion stripes and wartime graffiti): https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=N603MC

My absolute favorite...

C-47 "Drag-'Em-Oot" N473DC from the Dakota Heritage Inc. Trust (flown/based in England - one of the few to have the Rebecca antennas fitted, like the FS model): https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=N473DC&sort=date-taken-desc

(Anyone wishing to do this one, note that the letter and serial on the tail are the same shade of grey as the "3X" by the nose.)

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Bomber_12th/media/Bomber_12th001/C47%20N473DC%20d4_zpsblnh67jj.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Back