• Warbirds Library V4 (Resources for now) How to

We just posted part one of the how to on uploading new files to the Library. Part 1 covers adding new files. Part 2 will cover making changes to your the uploads you own.

Questions or comments please post them in the regular forums. Which forum is that... Well it is the one you spend the most time in.

Thanks the Staff

Library How to

Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Thank You GMAN for the Piedmont Airlines

Thank You GMAN for doing the Piedmont Airlines Paint. I'm a Classic Airliner (and Scenery) Flyer (no 737, A320, 777 nor boarding ramps, etc. for me) and don't do Military (I must be the only one flying airliners as most of the posts have been about military)...although I will plan to try the Paratroopers, just for fun. This looks good. I downloaded the v3 because the MAAM (although good) just doesn't work well in FSX. I fly actual airliner routs and times from the online Airliner Timetable site.

It's funny because my next set of flights (once I got home from Hong Kong TaiTak) on my "to do" list was the Frontier Airlines routs over the Rockies from the early 50's...they were really pushing the performance of the DC-3 on these. Any way I could talk you into doing a paint of Frontier Airlines from that era...I have it for the MAAM version (which is what I planned to use) but would rather do it with this v3?

Again, thank you for giving me an airliner.

Huub,

Eagerly awaiting the KLM paint,:encouragement:

But I hope that you will update the "Martin's Air Charter Douglas C-47B PH-MAA" as well please

Not a lot more to do [but a bit] ...RAAF A65-98 [the one that ended up being the Gooney Bird]....

attachment.php

Attachments

• RAAF1.jpg
    RAAF1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 46
QEA VH-EAP on the go. Simplest thing re the fonts...pull them off the photos directly...that way they can't be wrong....
More to do...;)
attachment.php

Edit....
done the alphas....looking closer like it....;)

attachment.php

Need to remove the text on the wings....didn't have any...and it looks like it needs to lose a bit more shine...

Nice effort Jafo, thanks for the tip about fonts.

nice jafo however the RAAF had a flat silver dip finish not polished metal

Yep.....hadn't got to the alphas yet....;)
As with everything with Aussie C-47s....none were quite the same.....seems most RAAF planes had de-ice panels....looks like A65-98 didn't....and the 'pinstripes' were all different. I chose '98 because I've flown in it twice [as the Gooney Bird] ...;)

attachment.php

Edit....flattened the specs a bit too...
Looks like it's about done.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RAAF2.jpg
    RAAF2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 22
  • RAAF-Final.jpg
    RAAF-Final.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yep.....hadn't got to the alphas yet....;)
As with everything with Aussie C-47s....none were quite the same.....seems most RAAF planes had de-ice panels....looks like A65-98 didn't....and the 'pinstripes' were all different. I chose '98 because I've flown in it twice [as the Gooney Bird] ...;)

attachment.php

Edit....flattened the specs a bit too...
Looks like it's about done.

attachment.php

Jafo a quick comment if I may, the blue on the roundels etc seems a little bright to my eye. FWIW.

It's funny because my next set of flights (once I got home from Hong Kong TaiTak) on my "to do" list was the Frontier Airlines routs over the Rockies from the early 50's...they were really pushing the performance of the DC-3 on these. Any way I could talk you into doing a paint of Frontier Airlines from that era...I have it for the MAAM version (which is what I planned to use) but would rather do it with this v3?

Again, thank you for giving me an airliner.

Hey Trifly, I'm doing pretty much the same using this skin from Jankees:
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?...-jahns-douglas-c-47-frontier-airlines-n65276/
It's for the v2 version but sits nicely on the new v3 Dak.

Just flew mine up to Phoenix from LA. I'll do a return to Safford next, and then start heading north - trying where possible to match FTX Global free airports with stops on the Frontier timetables like this one:
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/fl55/fl55-1.jpg
Happy flights!

Jafo a quick comment if I may, the blue on the roundels etc seems a little bright to my eye. FWIW.

Bendy, I'm not sure if Jafo is using the same roundels as I am but the bare metal roundels always appear a bit brighter. I take mine from an insignia sheet that covers insignias from many air forces around the world.

This is the one I use for Bare Metal.

Attachments

• australie_bare metal.jpg
    australie_bare metal.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 22
Working with old photos where the colour emulsion was iffy at best...and age deterioration lightens them [red in particular] means what looks right matching a photo doesn't always match reality.
I've pulled back the colours more, but as yet haven't got a definitive BGR definition for the roundels of the time....and they do change.

After yet more hunting.... I'm pretty confident the RAAF roundels are 'right' for the vintage now.

attachment.php

"Confidence".... that feeling you have immediately before you fully understand the situation ...;)

Attachments

• RAAF-Final-recolour.jpg
    RAAF-Final-recolour.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 44
Hey Trifly, I'm doing pretty much the same using this skin from Jankees:
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?...-jahns-douglas-c-47-frontier-airlines-n65276/
It's for the v2 version but sits nicely on the new v3 Dak.

Just flew mine up to Phoenix from LA. I'll do a return to Safford next, and then start heading north - trying where possible to match FTX Global free airports with stops on the Frontier timetables like this one:
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/fl55/fl55-1.jpg
Happy flights!

Thank you...thank you. I did a search for this but only came up with the MAAM version.

I use CalClassic Scenery for my airports...they have Stapleton Airport (1958 version), which also gets rid of the new KDEN airport. They also have several airports for the Southwestern US that are from the 50's. Address is http://www.calclassic.com/ if you haven't visited...great for flying in the Classic era...no jetways.

Thanks again.

The towel is in my hand and I'm about to throw it in! I have tried every combination of layers etc. to get over this problem:

attachment.php

aaaagh! It's just that bit on the nose. Everywhere else is normal.

Attachments

• c-47nose.JPG
    c-47nose.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 45
It was the blue stripe. Yes, in PK. A quick reinstall of PS sorted it out. Thanks.

It comes of fiddling with thing one has no right to fiddle with. :stupid:

It was the blue stripe. Yes, in PK. A quick reinstall of PS sorted it out. Thanks.

One trick I use when I do a radius stripe.

Compose the stripe at twice the resolution you will actually be using. Do it in a separate doc.
Feather the edges of the stripe by 0.5 pixel.

Reduce the resolution of your part to the actual resolution of the file you are using i.e. 4096 down to 2048.

Grab a beer...:very_drunk:

The combination of the feather and the file size reduction will soften those jagged edges that are inherent in a radius mask created object.

See? Already you've gone right over this poor ol' boy's head. :D

Nah....OK start with the beer....then....

The problem in creating a belly band line using a circle mask as in the case of the DAK nose section is that the mask, which creates the circle, leaves horrible pixelated steps at the edges.

The way to cure this is to make the circle in a very high resolution layer i.e. 4096 x 4096. If you make the circle large, the edges will become smoother because the circle requires many more pixels to create the edge.
When you create the circle mask, apply a feathered edge to the mask using a setting of 0.5 pixels. This will very softly blur the edge. You can then fill the object.

Now select your circle and apply a mask. Use the transform tool to reduce the mask by a few pixels and use edit/clear to remove the center. Now you have a ring. At this point you can reduce the image size down to 2048 x 2048, or whatever your skin texture sheet resolution is. Usually 2048 now days.

At this point you can drag the ring into your skin texture sheet and size/trim to fit the graphic. The resulting arc should much smoother than if you had made it at actual working size.

Now...grab another beer.....:very_drunk:

Back